Help PC Upgrades

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
The processor is fine, you may need a BIOS update for the motherboard to support it though.

How many IDE drives do you have? As any of those motherboards can only support 2 (1x master, 1x slave). All of them give the other connectivity though.

Tilda

ps. so much for a 150 quid upgrade!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Thank god, another potential PC upgrade disaster avoided.

Tilda

you think that looks ok chet then? :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I prefer gigabyte mobo's personally, but yes its fine. You could consider the quad core c2d instead Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor - Ebuyer , it's not too much more, but I suspect the cpu you have chosen actually will run faster.

I would say it may be worth getting faster ram if you plan to overclock in the future (which is piss easy with that cpu)

No doubt Kryt and Trem will have something to say about the psu.

Kryten

Old Cow.
That's already been mentioned ;)
There's nothing to chose between the Asus P5K and Gigabyte, the latter is more of a budget board, the former is a bigger overclocker and has a lot more tweaking options, but neither are any better or worse performance wise. I'd avoid the MSI entirely, not particularly great boards.

I didn't look to see how much that IDE>SATA converter is costing you, but as a shiney new SATA DVDRW drive is only around 15 quid, is it really, really worth a large dongly adapter thing in your case?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I'd suggest this PSU instead of the coolermaster, it's actually seasonic designed and they are very good:

Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC - Ebuyer

Also the idea of using SATA DVDRW drives instead of the converter is a good one. I did this and now only use SATA drives in my system, they tend to perform better than IDE as well, and converters are just cludgy and just another thing to go wrong.

Tilda

It lives!
I haven't tested it yet, as its only running my old xp install.
Waiting for sata HDD and sata dvdrw (grr more money!) to arrive tomorrow and i'll have a fresh vista install and can see how it performs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom