Help PC Power Off.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Guys,

got my PC up and running again but lately seem to be bother with auto power offs.

I think its heat related, but I downloaded a CPU heat monitor and it was sitting at 40 deg as it switched off.

Ive added fresh thermal paste to the cooler and it seems to be fixed securely in place.

anything else I can try.

If I leave the pc off for a while, ill get maybe 10 minutes use. if I power up immediately after a poweroff, it doesnt even get to the bios screen before powering off.

any suggestions?

DFI Lanparty nforce4
2 GB memory (4 sticks)
AMD 4000+ processor.
2 hard drives
1 CD/DVD
PSU 680w

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
just cuts out from windows/internet browsing.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Have you accidentally changed the BIOS settings meaning the mobo is powering it off now perhaps?

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
just ran the monitor mabs - temp hit 93 degrees - need to check the cooler and add a second fan i think

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sounds a wrongun to me Laz - I'd probably go so far as to try re-seating that CPU again... remember just a smidge of thermal paste is needed, not peanut butter thick :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Sounds a wrongun to me Laz - I'd probably go so far as to try re-seating that CPU again... remember just a smidge of thermal paste is needed, not peanut butter thick :)

yep spot on, also make sure to clear off the old stuff. Use unscented kitchen roll and keep at it till you hardly have anything on the tissue after wiping it. Old residue can cause problems I think.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
k got all the gunk cleaned off and a new smear applied with the cooler carefully set onto the CPU.

all that happens now is that the PC stays switched on for a little longer.

maybe the cooler (which coped with the previous CPU) is just not up to this faster CPU?

I have the option of adding another fan to the CPU to aid cooling (currently have one attached) or going the whole hog and getting a new cooler

any recommendations for a socket 939 cooler for AMD 64 4000+

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
k got all the gunk cleaned off and a new smear applied with the cooler carefully set onto the CPU.

all that happens now is that the PC stays switched on for a little longer.

maybe the cooler (which coped with the previous CPU) is just not up to this faster CPU?

I have the option of adding another fan to the CPU to aid cooling (currently have one attached) or going the whole hog and getting a new cooler

any recommendations for a socket 939 cooler for AMD 64 4000+

There's your problem. The Heatsink and fan can't handle the new CPU. Where did you get the new CPU anyway? Most come with Heatsink and fans these days.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
i got the processor on ebay - i have now treated myself to a new heatsink whcih should be up to the job (Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro)

ill fit when I can and see what happens

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
At

Fecking

Last.

it was a heat issue. bought a new heatsink and still had issues. Had to buy a new processor too cos I bounced the one I had round the room and broke the pins.

took the mobo out of the case and connected all up - still overheating. took off the new heatsink and noticed that the thermal paste only seemed to be applied to a part of the processor. dug out the old heatsink and add a second fan to it and plugged it all back into the case.

been running all day now -temp not above 31 deg (was hitting 89 before)

hopefully that will be that!!!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Bounced it around the room ? :)

Just like my 2 year old :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Bounced it around the room ? :)

Just like my 2 year old :)

ya - pulled it out of the machine to clean off the thermal paste - hand hit the desk and cpu flew across the room - het the radiator, bounced of a hard plastic basket, then bounced a couple of times off the floor :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom