Aada

Part of the furniture
Hi im running a...

AMD64 3700 FX
2 GIG RAM
400GIG HD
RADEON 9800PRO 256MB

heres my problem..

Everytime i boot up the PC for the first time of the day say when i get home from work it boots up gets onto the desktop then freezes cant move the mouse or anything.. i then have to restart the machine manualy it then says some stuff about checking one of my disks for consistancy..

Anyone got any advise how to fix this?

Many thanks in advance..

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
how hot is it getting? tried booting on one dimm?

Clown

Part of the furniture
Try booting up in safe mode (Press F8 at some point when Windows is loading) and virus scanning?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Hm strange it seems ok now lol heat should'nt be a problem as i have a massive heat sink inside....

What do i look for in safe mode?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
mayhap, but if there's say....a bubble in your thermal paste in a critical spot your cpu may be overheating and cutting out. it never hurts to be safe tbh.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Not entirely the same, but my gf4ti4800 often doesn't like doing 3D stuff on first boot up. Give it a (warm, this being windows) reboot and it's fine for hours and hours of 3D'ing. On the other hand if I only did the initial cold boot it would STILL fuck up on 3D even if it had been on for hours at the (2D) desktop beforehand, i.e. not a 'it needs to warm up'/'the heatsink needs to heat some so it gets best contact'/whatever problem.
Mayhap your card, or its interaction with your particular motherboard chipset (AGP stuff) has a similar problem.

-Ath

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
So many pieces of new hardware are bound to be trouble. ;)

Seriously though, I'd check for BIOS updates etc. Not too unlikely that the motherboard still isnt 100% stable with Windows.

Aada

Part of the furniture
well it was running fine yesterday/night so hopfuly its sorted... why can't anything be simple with a pc? :(

Whipped

Part of the furniture
1. Because I'd be out of a Job
2. That's what consoles were invented for
3. God hates me :(

MythieY

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
well it was running fine yesterday/night so hopfuly its sorted... why can't anything be simple with a pc? :(

it is when u buy a intel :clap: :clap:

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
Problem?

You have 2 pieces of software conflicting. Have you a firewall and say a virus checker installed? What happens is that they both fight for the same memory slot. Windows detects it and reboots your computer putting a flag on one (so that is is blocked). On reboot it will scan your hard drives first and is a real pain. If the 2nd piece of software cannot be allocated a new memory address the reboot will occur over and over unless you can remove the conflict.

Hard to put right unless you are into memory management but i should think you can experiment to locate the problem quite easily.

Once the computer settles uninstall one piece of software at a time - first though any virus checker. Leave the comp and restart it again as normal so you are creating the usual scenario where the problem occured. You should be able to find out the conflicting software using this method but from experience i should think you might have a firewall and virus checker conflict.

PKJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom