Question Paranormal Investigations?

rynnor

Rockhound
Are there any groups who arent believers in everything anymore? Every group seems to have its own Derek Acorah like medium saying nonsense.

It would be nice to find a group who actually investigate in a realistic way.

I once stayed in an old converted barn - nice enough by day light but come the evening I realised there was a certain chill in part of one coridor...

So I examined the area and found that the conversion had included small concealed slot vent - I jammed a postcard over it and the mysterious chill soon faded :)

Thats the kind of investigation I'd like to see rather than - 'I'm seeing a man in a top hat called Bernard...'.

Is it a vain hope?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I love the unexplained and paranormal. I think most of it has been debunked though.

rynnor

Rockhound
I love the unexplained and paranormal. I think most of it has been debunked though.

Yes but then it is a natural environment for charlatans and fraudsters :(

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Some of it is genuinely interesting, spoilt by the Derek (Jackson) Acorahs of this world .

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
I dont know if I believe in it all, but I do know I have had an experiance that scared the shit out of me.

When I was a Projectionist at one of the old Odeon cinemas, I was shutting down the screen while my 2 work mates waited outside in the car. On this particular occasion I forgot to put the cleaners lights on, so my walk down the screen from the projection room was in complete darkness.

As soon as I entered the screen and closed the projection door I felt uneasy, then I heard what can only be described as someone growling my name twice, sounded as though the were standing right beside me.

To say I shit myself is an understatement, I ran down the stairs as fast as I could, ripping my trousers on the seats in the process (couldnt see where I was going).

To this day I dont know what it was, both my work mates were outside, and I alarmed the building up before I left.

It is certainly something I will never forget.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Another possibility, and much mroe likely, is the "supernatural" way, where the real ghosthunters, psychics etc don't care about the spotlight and do their things under the radar.

Bullshitters are the best at getting shit sold.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Another possibility, and much mroe likely, is the "supernatural" way, where the real ghosthunters, psychics etc don't care about the spotlight and do their things under the radar.

You think the reason that there's never been any solid evidence or proof of supernatural happenings is that the people who hold the proof don't care for the attention? Or am I reading you wrong?

Incidentally, an XKCD that I found amusing: http://xkcd.com/373/

rynnor

Rockhound
On this particular occasion I forgot to put the cleaners lights on, so my walk down the screen from the projection room was in complete darkness.

I think theres various psychological phenomena that can occur when people are in utter darkness due to sensory deprivation - it was probably just a basic fear reaction - sorry...

Another bad one is any ghost story that starts 'I had just woken up' or it woke me out of sleep - the brain quite often isnt fully up to speed just out of sleep and all sorts of hallucinations are possible.

Edit - a really convincing paranormal event would be in plain sight, during the day in a non-spooky location.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Edit - a really convincing paranormal event would be in plain sight, during the day in a non-spooky location.

but everyone knows ghosts only hang around in spooky locations, they have reputations to think of :p

rynnor

Rockhound

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Pah, denial in the face of irrefutable photographic evidence. I guess there's just no convincing some people.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
"Ex pupil? The boy in the image appears to be around eight and is wearing a dark top and cap" The child was also a giant

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You think the reason that there's never been any solid evidence or proof of supernatural happenings is that the people who hold the proof don't care for the attention? Or am I reading you wrong?

Well i think it -could- be that, that the people who could have proof don't care for the proof and also i think that it might not be proven because there isn't many harcore scientists who try to prove it.

Also could be that if someone were to come out with proof that "there are ghosts", it would be dismissed as "crazy" no matter how compelling the proof is. If you had proof of supernatural demons etc, would you come out with it?

Also there's the possibility is that all these media-proof are as best as they get and better proof simply doesn't exist.

Note could, speculation.

What -would- you consider as proof to convince you, besides from a demon dryhumping you in broad daylight? :D

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Note could, speculation.

Duly noted. Monkeys could fly out of my arse if I attached propellers to them, then stuffed them up my arse. It's still extremely unlikely to the point where it's entirely reasonable to say "yeah, that's bullshit".

rynnor

Rockhound
What would constitute proof though?

For the aforementioned demons you'd have to capture one for study really.

The same as if I claimed there were big cats roaming the woods near my town (there arent to my knowledge).

Ghosts would be tricky to prove scientifically though even if they existed - would depend on how regularly they appeared or if they were interactive.

Stuff like ESP, Telekinesis etc. etc. would be dead easy to prove/disprove - could subject that to experimentation.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What would constitute proof though?

Demonstrable and repeatable interactions that can be subjected to independent testing and peer review. Same as all science. And something that no paranormal investigation has ever been able to do as far as I'm aware. And its not like people haven't spent serious time and money trying; there are still a number of universities with Parapsychology depts. although the numbers of these have dropped considerably over the last 20 years as the money ran out because they couldn't prove jack shit.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The same as if I claimed there were big cats roaming the woods near my town (there arent to my knowledge).

There may well be, large cats in the UK aren't as uncommon as some people think, they are just good at not being seen is all. Depending on the location etc I imagine there are quite a few wild. What makes me think there are quite a lot is the fact that to have them in the same area for long periods of time (Dartmoor, Bodmin etc) then you would need at least a breeding pair. I remember a few years back some sheep near me were found partially eaten and that's within 5 miles of a large town.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Duly noted. Monkeys could fly out of my arse if I attached propellers to them, then stuffed them up my arse. It's still extremely unlikely to the point where it's entirely reasonable to say "yeah, that's bullshit".

Hardly the same, but that answer gives really little to continue so, part ways *nod*

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
To be fair, monkeys flying out of your arse is probably a lot more likely than the dead walking again (in ghost form)

rynnor

Rockhound
What makes me think there are quite a lot is the fact that to have them in the same area for long periods of time (Dartmoor, Bodmin etc) then you would need at least a breeding pair. I remember a few years back some sheep near me were found partially eaten and that's within 5 miles of a large town.

There possibly are but to prove it you really would need to capture one or get extensive tissue samples and other evidence.

DaGaffer is right about the scientific basis of proof but playing Devils advocate here it is possible to theorise 'paranormal' events that couldnt be scientifically proven.

A ghost that appears irregularly, some one off occurence etc. etc.

There is actually some wriggle room in such circumstances but just because you cant scientifically disprove something doesnt mean its true :)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I'd have thought ghosts etc. would be more down to physics than anything else? And as such maths would come into play somewhere.

Mathematical proof I think is a lot more diverse than scientific proof.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
I think theres various psychological phenomena that can occur when people are in utter darkness due to sensory deprivation - it was probably just a basic fear reaction - sorry...

Another bad one is any ghost story that starts 'I had just woken up' or it woke me out of sleep - the brain quite often isnt fully up to speed just out of sleep and all sorts of hallucinations are possible.

Well I dont know what it was, but I know what I heard and it was as clear as listening to someone standing right in front of me.

It had never happened before, and it has never happened again. I used to spend quite a lot of time in complete darkness and have done so since.

Actually thinking about it, I did witness one other thing that was unexplainable. Again while working as a projectionist, myself and one of my mates stayed behind to watch a film after everyone had gone... we did this on a weekly basis.

Halfway through I had an urge to look behind me and see what can only be described as a darkness moving across the back wall (much like you get when a single cloud goes overhead).

Dont know what it was, but my mate see it at the same time and wanted to leave there and then, unfortunatly we couldnt go as the film need to be run through. All I can say is for the rest of that film we stared at the screen and didnt look anywhere else.

Again it was something that had never happened before in the 4 years I wored there, and had never happened again.

rynnor

Rockhound
Dont know what it was, but my mate see it at the same time and wanted to leave there and then, unfortunatly we couldnt go as the film need to be run through. All I can say is for the rest of that film we stared at the screen and didnt look anywhere else.

Good one - thats pretty creepy and correlated by another person.

My Sisters once saw something creepy in the old house we lived in as kids - they saw a black circle move slowly accross the wall in their upstairs bedroom - they came running down the stairs yelling - this was during the day.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
There may well be, large cats in the UK aren't as uncommon as some people think, they are just good at not being seen is all. Depending on the location etc I imagine there are quite a few wild. What makes me think there are quite a lot is the fact that to have them in the same area for long periods of time (Dartmoor, Bodmin etc) then you would need at least a breeding pair. I remember a few years back some sheep near me were found partially eaten and that's within 5 miles of a large town.

I've been within 20 feet of a puma in the woods on the Surrey, Hants, West Sussex borders, tried to catch the bugger, but it ran off. Nice Kitty!

I think sightings will die out though, a lot of those cats were probably from back when they brought in licensing for dangerous and zoo animals and many people just let them go rather than go throught the legal processes. With no predators, plenty of easy to catch food and lots of space to hide they will live a long time too. However i think there won't generally be the population density to breed unlike the Wallaby colonies and explosion of Parakeets in recent years.

rynnor

Rockhound
However i think there won't generally be the population density to breed unlike the Wallaby colonies and explosion of Parakeets in recent years.

People still see big cats though and its a long time (nearly 40 years?) since the mass releases due to the dangerous animal control legislation?

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
Good one - thats pretty creepy and correlated by another person.

Aye it was one of those 'oh shit' moments, but is also something that bugs me to this day. I dont work there anymore, but we still talk about it.

In a way I wish it did happen more than once, as at the moment its just one of those big what "was it questions".

I'm not claiming either event that happened to me was supernatural or paranormal, but I cant think of sensible answers for either.

other less impressive things that have happened are, walking down a certain flight of stairs and suddenly feeling very uneasy at the same spot each time.

Something once happened to my dad (before I was born). He had a dream that someone was calling his name over and over, when he told his mum in the morning she informed him that his grandad was rushed to hospital in the night, and just before he died he started muttering my dads name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom