Overclocking...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
right, been thinking about this for quite some time now.

been reading up on it on OC.net but they seem to be a tad more hardcore about it then i'd like. (AMD CPU/RAM Overclocking "Mini-Guide" by WBaS - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net) MINIGUIDE?!?

and they seem to take for granted that anyone reading the guides already know a crapload about it. wich i obviously dont :)

so anyway, anyone know of a easier to understand step by step guide?

basically i dont need to know why i do stuff, aslong as its needed.

the more i have to read on stuff like this the bigger the chances are that i'l fuck something up because i missed something.

kinda looking for a guide that only contains:

1. go there do that then this then that

2. then go there to do......

etc etc.

i dont need walls of texts explaining WHY :)

and i'm not after getting every last bit of performance i can get out of it either, especially not if it comes with to big of a risk. yes i know overclocking is a risk in itself, but theres risks and risks :)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Just DON'T overclock. It can cause so many problems in the long run, mostly corrupted data on harddrives randomly so you have to reformat. Everything might seem stable but it more than often is not. But if you really have to do it, don't touch the memories, the gain there is too little to be worth the grief.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Disagree. Sometimes its so easy its silly not to.
I've a really simple OC atm, c2d e6600 @ 3ghz. Quite a bit of gain in performance for no hassle.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I've got my 2ghz C2D running at 3.3ghz. It's pretty straight forward but to be honest if you're not sure what knock ons it can have then you're best off avoiding it. The last thing you want to do is tweak something that bit too far and have your machine fail it's POST. Unless your mobo has BIOS protection for that sort of thing and will reset if it detects something's gone tits up but that's down to what hardware you have...

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Decent modern mobos make it very simple to do and there can be significant gains at low risk. If you are someone who generally upgrades at least every couple of years then the usual downside of reduced processor/component life expectancy is very much reduced, so I'd say go for a basic clock in this scenario. If you want your machine in pristeen condition for 3 years + then I am not sure I'd bother.

Anything more than a basic o/c though and I'd definitely look at a more serious setup with w/c or similar.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Just DON'T overclock. It can cause so many problems in the long run, mostly corrupted data on harddrives randomly so you have to reformat. Everything might seem stable but it more than often is not. But if you really have to do it, don't touch the memories, the gain there is too little to be worth the grief.

Aslong as you run stability tests, Orthos /OCCT etc and your temps dont go skywards then you'll be absolutely fine.
Personally I've overclocked every custom pc i've built. Most recently my E8400 to 4.2ghz, and my HD4870 at 850/1100.
Ran orthos / ati tool for 12 hours and without any artifacts etc.

Best bet is to head over to the OCuk forums as they're more than willing to help. Post your pc specs etc and you'll be away

Fuggz

Fledgling Freddie
I have a pretty interesting setup with regard to controlling cpu temp. Have had this configuration for a few years now and it is still running like a watch. I have a 7,200 rpm fan of very strong construction which throughputs a huge amount or air on full throttle. Trouble is it sounds like a jet is taking off at that speed. To overcome this I have all my fans attached to a front panel Multi Fan Speed Control. I run the cpu fan just off noisy. Periodically I clean the whole shebang and reapply arctic silver compound to the cpu. Without this setup the cpu temp was at least 10c more on idle with normal cooling. Beyond 55c (where is the bloody degree key?) I would experience window errors on my athlon. Must admit now I have ditched the overclocking as I don't play games much if at all but the control I have over the cpu temp still comes in handy, especially in the hot summer months. Probably fans are much quieter now but I should think the very powerful ones still emit too much noise. Water cooling? Looked a bit iffy and cumbersome to me but must be one of the most efficient ways to cool. With this setup you can crank the fan speed up when playing games, stick on some headphones (essential :D) and play like a good un. Stop playing games and drop the fan speed down again. Something to consider.

How are these other guys controlling temp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom