Over-rated?

M

MrChumble

DoD is excellent, but the HL engine just doesn't lend itself well to such large scale combat. Can you imagine trying to run 'Snowy Park' in HL? Ignoring the fact that HL doesn't have anything like the required feature set, it would be an absolute nightmare with fps's in single figures.
If they ported DoD to MoH as a mod...then I'd sit up and really take notice :)

M

MrChumble

http://www.dayofdefeatmod.com/

definately worth a look, especially if your hardware is a bit more rustic and the (engage rant) slow ugly cheat ridden (disengage) HL engine is your thing.

I think I've played a bit too much CS ;)

S

Stazbumpa

I get what MT if on about even though I haven't played the game. The spawning from thin air thing in HL sp was the aliens entering our world from theirs.

That doesn't happen with Nazi's as far as I'm aware. And in HL the grunts you shot stayed dead and didn't respawn behind you. I have a horrible feeling that when I play MoH:AA I'm going to be picking fault with it instead of just trying to enjoy it.

As for the "its difficult, I'm not playing anymore" point that was made earlier, HL was difficult but rarely did you get stuck on the same 10 foot of map for an hour because the enemy AI has decided it can see you through a wall.

My point I made on an earlier post was that a game lives by its multi player, and thats why Project IGI, Max Payne and now MoH:AA will disappear. MoH has multi player, but not up to the standards that people require.

And with regard to shitty old modified-Q2-engine HL, its still kicking fuck out of every other game ever made because of its multi player. HL DM is wank I agree, but others have used it to produce classic gaming.

The prosecution rests.

O

old.ignus

As soon as you have a constant respawning of the enemy it automatically loses its "realistic" claims. Whats the point in clearing out a room to have some nazi spawn behind you and cap you a few times.
Its a fun game but it won't last long, as Staz said it'll go the same way as Max Payne and red faction etc.

As for this whole most of us only play multiplayer anyway bullshit, speak for yourself, give me a good game with an involving storyline and challenging gameplay and my social life can be put on hold. At the least you don't get cheats, cheat whingers, young children being stupid, scummy LPBs (30 and below), and other such annoying cunts and then there is always a goal, something to work towards and a feeling of achievement when you've done it.

Its a bit like masturbation

S

Sar

Lol

Cheers for the URL lads, I shall d/l it and have a shufty :D

T

throdgrain

DoD 2.0 is great. I bet you knew I was going to say that mm?
There are a few problems with 2.0 , bizzarre lag on a couple of maps, that i put down to bad connection initially but turns out there are a few problems, soon to be sorted in 2.1.
Also aiming at people dead smack bang straight on, then missing.You can hit from an angle no problems at all, but square in the kisser seems to be a problem atm.I actually thought I was playing someone with invunrability to begin with!
Anyway BLOODY GOOD GAME , give it a go :)

K

*Kornholio*

Originally posted by ignus
As for this whole most of us only play multiplayer anyway bullshit, speak for yourself, give me a good game with an involving storyline and challenging gameplay and my social life can be put on hold. At the least you don't get cheats, cheat whingers, young children being stupid, scummy LPBs (30 and below), and other such annoying cunts and then there is always a goal, something to work towards and a feeling of achievement when you've done it.

Its a bit like masturbation

So to summarise, you'd rather have a good wank than a shit shag... but I still can't decide which one MOH is... maybe a mixture of the two making it shit-wank...

:p

T

throdgrain

Its not really bullshit either Ignus, I personally pretty much only play multiplayer games, cant see the point in single player meself..

M

Moving Target

Originally posted by ignus
At the least you don't get cheats, cheat whingers, young children being stupid, scummy LPBs (30 and below), and other such annoying cunts

Hasn't been out too long has it though?

O

old.ignus

Originally posted by Moving Target

Hasn't been out too long has it though?

I was refering to single player games, the computer doesn't whinge at you and isn't bothered when you get pissed of at it/

M

Moving Target

How can you get LPBs in a single player game? :)

O

old.Pavlos

why are you here ?
is this a "I hate MOHAA forum "?
Thought this was a fan forum.

S

Stazbumpa

Its a "forum", in which to discuss or ask questions about the subject in bold at the top of your screen. It doesn't make us fans, nor does it make us haters.

That bit is up to whoever is posting.

S

Summo

I'm still loving SP MOHAA very much, you know. Fantastic stuff. :D

M

Moving Target

Originally posted by SomeGuy
I'm still loving SP MOHAA very much, you know. Fantastic stuff. :D

Thought you'd have completed it by now. I completed in one day on medium

M

MrChumble

So much cynicism for one so young :p

It is a little bit short, but the levels are so rich and varied I am willing to forgive them. Hell I even forgive them for that &%$£ing sniper level.

It's just the way of single player games now. Each map is such a huge investment of planning and time that there is a limit in quantity if you don't want to sacrifice qualilty. It's entirely subjective of course, but for my part I found the really good bits far outweighed the things that made me sigh.

M

Moving Target

Originally posted by MrChumble
So much cynicism for one so young :p

U IS TEH FUNNEH MAN!!!1

Seriously, HL and other mods seriously kick MoH arse.

O

old.=V= Khan

I disagree. If you were around in 1997, you will remember (for the 12981982nd time) that HL's multiplayer was shite.

Now, perhaps you want to give MOHAA 5 years to reach that level, but IMHO, I believe that MOHAA is already VERY close and that a couple of patches will make it simply perfect.

S

Stazbumpa

HL multi was/is indeed shite, but it didnt take 5 years for it to get going. Besides, the infrastructure of decent multi player was there to begin with because Valva/Sierra took the time to consider all aspects of the GLOBAL market instead of just banging it out quickly so that it'll wqork in America but fuxxors everybody in Europe.

Having to keep the CD in the drive to run a server AND only being able to run one server on one fucking computer is not how things should be done.

Anyway, time will tell and my money is on HL.

M

Moving Target

Ok, HL multiplayer is shite, but MoH is just as shite when you can get class mods for HL (DoD, CS, S&I etc)

G

greendemon

IMO it has potential, but:

Problems
=======
1. Having to have the CD inserted is ridiculous
2. The music is gay
3. When u die, there's no need to spin u round upside down, and end up looking at the sky
4. Movement is too slow for decent deathmatch
5. No coloured names
6. Anyone tried entering a password to connect?

Plus Points
========
1. Great for newbies who want to learn something simple before moving onto games with classes, like RTCW
2. Looks pretty

...Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the game, infact I often play it. I just think it needs to have these problems sorted out. The developers seem to have made a cracking SP game, and have just added MP as an afterthought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom