Oven Issue.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Right, so I just cleaned our electric oven, which was turned off at the wall, then when I turned it back on, the circuit breakers flipped, so I checked it again, and it was the oven that's doing it.

I'm a complete noob at stuff like this, so before consulting manuals and shit I thought I'd ask the freddies.

Anyone got any idea what's going on here? - the wall switch only turns the hob off/on, so I'd imagine it's the hob at fault, not the actual oven?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Right, so I just cleaned our electric oven, which was turned off at the wall, then when I turned it back on, the circuit breakers flipped, so I checked it again, and it was the oven that's doing it.

I'm a complete noob at stuff like this, so before consulting manuals and shit I thought I'd ask the freddies.

Anyone got any idea what's going on here? - the wall switch only turns the hob off/on, so I'd imagine it's the hob at fault, not the actual oven?

The oven is on a separate circuit (should be) as it 30amp. the wall switch is probably a fused spur that isolates the hob.

What did you clean it with, you probably got one of the dials wet and its shorting out

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have only one thing to say. If you mess with it, it may kill you.

So think carefully.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
It will still have damp somewhere like Ed said. Leave it overnight then try again in the morning, leave the oven door open so it can air.

If that doesn't work ignore Tom and stick some metal things in the consumer unit but only while taking a shower otherwise it won't work right.

Edited to say it may well be around the oven light that is damp and causing the short if you got that wet......

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Put a can of deodorant in the oven and turn it up as high as it will go. Leave it overnight and in the morning it will be all dried out and nice smelling.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Put a can of deodorant in the oven and turn it up as high as it will go. Leave it overnight and in the morning it will be all dried out and nice smelling.
Kinda hard when the oven wont work?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Did you use water or oven cleaner? If water you probably fucked it unfortunately, only thing to do is hope/wait it dries out and still works. Put a load of rice in there to absorb some of the water.

Gwadien

Where are the dials?

I used water, school boy error I guess, hopefully it dries out over night, as I was saying though surely if it's the oven at fault it wouldn't turn on, since it's the wallswitch which only effects the hob that doesn't turn on afterall :S

I hardly drowned it though

Surely if I put rice in it I wouldnt be able to retrice?

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Is it the actual oven or just the hob that is knackered?

Gwadien

That's what I'm saying the hob is connected to the wall switch and not the oven aparrently cos the oven seems to be working fine with the wall switch off then when I turn the wall switch on, that causes the leccy to cut out so I'm assuming that's the hob at fault?

@Edmond

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If it were me I'd disconnect the supply, remove the hob, dismantle it and see what the problem is. Water may, or may not dry out of its own accord. But I'd only do that because I'm fairly confident around electrical devices.

But I'm not going to recommend you do the same, just as I'm sure Job (IIRC he's a plumber) wouldn't recommend anyone fiddle with their gas. If you don't know what you've done or what you're doing, pay someone who does. Mains electricity is not something you mess around with.

Gwadien

If it were me I'd disconnect the supply, remove the hob, dismantle it and see what the problem is. Water may, or may not dry out of its own accord. But I'd only do that because I'm fairly confident around electrical devices.

But I'm not going to recommend you do the same, just as I'm sure Job (IIRC he's a plumber) wouldn't recommend anyone fiddle with their gas. If you don't know what you've done or what you're doing, pay someone who does. Mains electricity is not something you mess around with.
So it's not the oven, that's what I want establish.

I've washed the hob dozens of times but first time for the oven, that's why I'm confused, because it works fine without the switch, which if it was the oven would be a huge safety issue?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If it is an oven and hob set into a work top then they are generally totally independent systems.

Gwadien

If it is an oven and hob set into a work top then they are generally totally independent systems.
So it's the hob? :p dhdjrjsufkeifjf

Stupid question I know but I wouldn't be surprised if you said nope, the oven also cuts the hob as a warning for both since the oven can't cut out or some stupid shit.

Edmond

Usually the oven will have a separate isolating switch as it on its own circuit back to the consumer unit, its not usually connected to the hob in any way, so their electrical paths shouldn't cross

When I said the dials, I meant the 4 knobs that control the plates on the hob, have you got water in those?

Gwadien

Usually the oven will have a separate isolating switch as it on its own circuit back to the consumer unit, its not usually connected to the hob in any way, so their electrical paths shouldn't cross

When I said the dials, I meant the 4 knobs that control the plates on the hob, have you got water in those?
Possibly, how deep would it go?

EDIT:-

Also it looks like a solid unit, don't think it can be taken off for minor things like this. :/

Trem

Fucks sake! Go and take a picture of the thing that is broken and put it on here so we all know what the bloody fuck it is that you have given aids to for christ sake :eek:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The hob unit is probably a few inches deep.

Edmond

Possibly, how deep would it go?

EDIT:-

Also it looks like a solid unit, don't think it can be taken off for minor things like this. :/

They are usually as deep as a worktop, so you can get a drawer underneath them

OR.......

Bin it, buy a new one. Its a throwaway society anyway. Stick to the microwave, never done me any harm......

008.jpg

Gwadien

DSC_00011_zps0e9229b8.jpg
DSC_00021_zps28525f22.jpg

Sorry for the shit quality etc.

Gwadien

I could take a hairdryer to it...

Trem

So did you wash the top - the hob, or did you wash inside - the oven?

Obviously it was the hob by your pictures in which case Edlar is pretty close to being correct I would say.

Yeah fuck it get the hair dryer on it for a bit.

Edit - those knobs should yank straight off if you pull them up for extra airing.

Edmond

Turn it on and let the heat of the hob dry it out

oh, wait!

Gwadien

So did you wash the top - the hob, or did you wash inside - the oven?

Obviously it was the hob by your pictures in which case Edlar is pretty close to being correct I would say.

Yeah fuck it get the hair dryer on it for a bit.

Edit - those knobs should yank straight off if you pull them up for extra airing.

I washed both, but I washed the top like I always have done for a dozen times, that's why I thought it'd be the oven.

Yeah, I've already taken the knobs off at one point, they came straight off into my face.

Gwadien

Alright, I've blown them, gonna give it a flick in a minute.

Hopefully the result will be orgasmic.

Gwadien

An oven top that can't handle water? Me confused.
It has little rubber circles around the bases of the knobs, which stop water I guess, but when I lifted them there was quite a lot of gunk underneath them, it looks like the knobs have never been lifted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom