Put My Notice In - Final Day Issues

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Arghhh MINGE!

I put my notice in on Monday. My notice period in my contract is 1 month. Now, I am not 100% sure if thats one contractural month, or 4 weeks.

Anyways, I am still waiting from the directors to let me know when I can leave. They have been out the office etc and now I am getting pressure from the new employers when I can start.

The new employers want me to start ASAP and I have told them I am still waiting for confirmation from my current employers and apologies for the delay. I said that my current employers want me to work my full notice so the earliest I could start was the 9th (It maybe the 13th if its a calender month!).

The new employers were a bit pissed as the need me ASAP and thought because I had holidays I could start earlier, even after I explained I didnt take in account the pro-rata bollocks, but my current employers really want me to stay the full 4 weeks.

Where the hell do I stand? What the hell do I do?

I dont want to burn bridges as our industry isnt the best at the moment so I am reluctant to say to my current employes "there, I finish then, like it or lump it" but I am getting close to that.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Negotiate a shorter notice period with them? Give up any holiday you do have left, even if it's a few days to leave earlier?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Its difficult to negotiate when the gaffers arent in the office or answering their fucking emails the twats.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also how long have you been working there? I think there are statutory notice periods, not 100% sure though...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You could always just hand in a letter stating what date you are leaving and say you cannot work the full notice, point out that you've attempted to discuss this but have been ignored.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The date will from the date you gave them the letter, not the date they got around to reading it.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Ive been there 18/19 mon this.

I was thinking about the latter too Chet, so will do that tomorrow if I havent heard anything.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's extremely unlikely they'll do anything if you leave early Darth.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
It's extremely unlikely they'll do anything if you leave early Darth.

Aye I know, but, its a very incestious line of work I am in and I dont want word to get around I dropped them in the shit.

They really dont want me to leave and offered me a large rise, but I aint motivated by money and its not why I am leaving.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Point out to them that they are putting your future employment at risk, and that you would happily work the notice in other circumstances.... play on the emotions.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Nothing you can do really. Id just walk and hope i never have to ask them for a reference personally! Id assume that if you are going straight into new employment that getting paid for your notice period wont matter too much, which is the worst thing that is likely to happen.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Your notice is generally based on your pay period. If you're paid calendar monthly, then its a month, if you're paid 4-weekly, then its 4 weeks (e.g. in my last job I was paid 4-weekly so my notice was 12 weeks, not 3 months). The only power they have over you to make you stay is a. your reference (and probably more importantly, future references), b. whatever they owe you for the notice period. Personally I think your new employer needs to suck it up and you should work your notice; when your new employer was recruiting they'll have factored in 1-3 months' notice for any successful candidate; getting you sooner is a bonus, pressuring you to burn your bridges with your old employer is dickish.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
DaGaffer said:
I think your new employer needs to suck it up and you should work your notice; when your new employer was recruiting they'll have factored in 1-3 months' notice for any successful candidate; getting you sooner is a bonus, pressuring you to burn your bridges with your old employer is dickish.

^^ agree your new employer should suck it up'

Bahumat

FH is my second home
If you don't plan to go back to the company for references etc, just throw a 2 week sickie and start your new job.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'd be mindful of what kind of message it sends to your new employer that you're prepared to fuck your old one over.

If your old employer has been ok then I'd recommend sorting it out with them properly, rather than just disappearing.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
What about dissolving the old company? Could use vinegar

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Its partly my own fault, I said I had 4 weeks notice when in fact its a calender month.

Just had it confirmed to me and basically I fucking fuming. All the hard graft and Ive got fuck all back.

FUCKING CUNTS

DaGaffer

Its partly my own fault, I said I had 4 weeks notice when in fact its a calender month.

Just had it confirmed to me and basically I fucking fuming. All the hard graft and Ive got fuck all back.

FUCKING CUNTS

Why are they cunts? You're leaving, you have a contract, they owe you nothing. They're the ones who are left with the expense and time-suck of replacing you. Sorry but this sounds like you fucked up and your new company are short-sighted; I don't see anywhere why your existing company are the villains of the piece.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Ive grafted my nuts off in the time I have been here and I have been very flexiable with my holidays and done countless unpaid OT to meet deadlines.

That obviously means nothing to them. Thats why I am pissed off.

Meanwhile there are people who are sitting back taking it easy.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I work my nuts off more than most at my company, starting early, finishing late, working at home etc. Managing problems and coming up with solutions. I don't get any extra pay, though I have enjoyed large pay rises to keep me there over the last couple of years for my efforts.
When the time comes that I move on I won't expect any pay off though. When discussing it with my boss once he mentioned that the company functioned before I was there and it will continue to function when I leave. Nobody is irreplaceable.

DaGaffer

Ive grafted my nuts off in the time I have been here and I have been very flexiable with my holidays and done countless unpaid OT to meet deadlines.

That obviously means nothing to them. Thats why I am pissed off.

Meanwhile there are people who are sitting back taking it easy.

FFS its only a month. I've been made to work to the last hour of the last day of a three month notice period. Twice. Take it as a compliment and quit your bitchin'

pez

Can't get enough of FH
isn't the difference between 4 weeks and a calendar month 3 days at most?

Either you do one hell of an important job or I am missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom