Other Catacombs classes revealed-kinda

Cunnyfunt

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
just wondering why people presume banshees will b hib and vampiir mid? is there any "mythical" reason for this?

the banshee (bean sidhe) is a female creature from irish celtic mythology so yeah :) , the valkyries are odins handmaidens in norse mythology. Warlock and vampire are not featured in norse or celtic mythology as such - not as far as i know ofc i could be wrong about that :)

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Cunnyfunt said:
Warlock and vampire are not featured in norse or celtic mythology as such - not as far as i know ofc i could be wrong about that :)

The word Warlock actually comes from a mix of old Scots/Germanic words wer and loga meaning 'oath-breaker' or 'traitor' (I smell Shar)

Wer is man in old germanic, as in wer-wolf, man-wolf
and Loga is still a surname in Scots Gaelic, although not Irish Gaelic, where most of Hib background seems rooted in

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Loxleyhood said:
But following that logic, you would also have to add a fighter to Albion and Hibernia, and another support to Albion and Midgard. The Skald has superior weapon skills, the Bard has support spells and the Minstrel has stealth. The Skald is a Viking, the Minstrel is a Rogue and the Bard is a Naturalist.

the diffrence, none of em can STEALTH... hib/mid has no equal to the albs stealther who can mezz stun stealth wears chain and has an ablative aswell
:eek:

Sarnat

Fledgling Freddie
Valkyrie will surely be the mid females only class. Question is, what archtype will it be? I'm guessing on a warden-type heal/buff/weak melee. Matt Frior's statement about these classes not relying on BBs would support this.

Additional stealther classes could be possible, no idea which is which though...

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
wondering which will be the one with the most stupid overpowered styles/spells (or both :E) or some bugged to-hit etc...

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Dorin said:
wondering which will be the one with the most stupid overpowered styles/spells (or both :E) or some bugged to-hit etc...
I think we can reliably assume it won't be Albions new class... :rolleyes:

Ancient Seagul

Fledgling Freddie
I like the idea of half human - half dragon

Surprised that's not been voiced before - given that there are dragons in the world and enough mad wizards / sorcerors to attempt to breed a new master race...mwahahahaha

If anyone has ready the Riftwar Trilogy by Raymond E Feist, you'll want to be one of the Valheru !

:touch:

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Cunnyfunt said:
the banshee (bean sidhe) is a female creature from irish celtic mythology so yeah :) , the valkyries are odins handmaidens in norse mythology. Warlock and vampire are not featured in norse or celtic mythology as such - not as far as i know ofc i could be wrong about that :)

aye the above is right , but many Irish Fairy tales do give reference to warlocks as well , but also there are some stories about vamps too.

well seeing as how the daddy of all vamps Dracula was created by a Irish man as well .....

still it's gone fun till the whining starts

Sigurd

Banned
Well, logically, the "vampiir" will be a mid stealther class with mez and perhaps a critical strike based on vampirising your enemy. The Valkyrie, a fighting healer like a warden or something, perhaps with more emphasis on rezzing realm mates. Seriously though, Mythic would be a lot better off with werewolves than vampires, they're already in the game, just like the frostalf/svartalf change... give them some dodgy name and a different tint on their fur and there you have it... no need for messing around with vampires.

Heath

Fledgling Freddie
Gamblor said:
well seeing as how the daddy of all vamps Dracula was created by a Irish man as well .....

Well..actually Gambino...Dracula was based on Vlad Tepes, and "Dracul," in Romanian language, means "Dragon", and the boyars of Romania, who knew of Vlad Tepes' father induction into the Order of the Dragon, decided to call him "Dracul." "Dracula," a diminutive which means "the son of Dracul," was a surname to be used ultimately by Vlad Tepes.
We do not know exactly why Bram Stoker chose this fifteenth century Romanian prince as a model for his fictional character. Some scholars have proposed that Stoker had a friendly relationship with a Hungarian professor from the University of Budapest, Arminius Vambery (Hermann Vamberger) , and it is likely that this man gave Stoker some information about Vlad Tepes Dracula.

A fair bit of copy/paste going on there, only because i cant be arsed to dig out my info on Vlad and write it all...been a long time since i learnt about him !! (o:
Otherwise, cant wait to see what they all look like and play like. Should be very interesting, And..somebody said earlier about Vampires and Werewolves...what the hell is a BD them??...a limping teddy bear??..nearest thing to a werewolf we get to play (apart from not changing into human form in daylight, would be a corker of a char that transforms into a wolf every full moon though)

Vorna

Fledgling Freddie
imo banshee will prolly use scythe like zeolot uses flex and mebbe vampiir will use hand to hand?

Auriel

Fledgling Freddie
Well we know the Albion class is the Zealot, an acolyte. That gives Alb 3 healers, the same as Hib.

It's safe to say the Valkyrie will be the female only Mid class, and I'd say it'd be a warden/friar-like seer to bring Mid's healers up to 3 as well.

Next I'd say Hib and Mid will get a support stealther each to bring their stealthers up to 3, to balance out with Albion. The Banshee is probably a female-only Hib stealther and the Vampiir could be a beastial, shape-shifting Mid stealther.

The second Hib class is a mystery... assuming it's the Warlock, perhaps it's another fighter/mage? We've already got the Eldritch, Enchanter, Mentalist and Animist caster classes, so I can't imagine another pure caster :eek7: I suppose it could be a mage/priest though :touch:

Velimos McDuff

Fledgling Freddie
They wont have a female only class.. they wont want to get sued for being sexist against the male ones ;) Mythic dose come from america after all land of the spineless lizard.. i mean lawyer.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Heath said:
We do not know exactly why Bram Stoker chose this fifteenth century Romanian prince as a model for his fictional character. Some scholars have proposed that Stoker had a friendly relationship with a Hungarian professor from the University of Budapest, Arminius Vambery (Hermann Vamberger) , and it is likely that this man gave Stoker some information about Vlad Tepes Dracula.

well there has been alot of speculation about this. you can also trace back bram stokers writng to a very old fair tail of a lord in Ireland who would only come out at night , and Virgins in the area had a habbit of going missing from time to time. he was to of aledegly had a hankering for blood of wild boar, think this lord lived up near stonehenge too.

thats onther place he got his insparation from... Bram stokers house where he wrote the masterpiece is about a 10 min walk from my house, and i pass it every day on the way to work =)

Heath

Fledgling Freddie
Gamblor said:
who would only come out at night , and Virgins in the area had a habbit of going missing from time to time.

Sounds like a typical fri/sat night on the piss really ((o: :drink: :sex:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Norse Vampiir ?

Sounds like all the Black Metal Nerds will be rushing in :D

kylskap

Fledgling Freddie
Vorna said:
imo banshee will prolly use scythe?

please please please :o i'd play one just for that fact that they have a freaking scythe :)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Vampiir will have revolutionary hunting abilities = regular stealth
They will frighten their opponents into submission = AoE stun
Wielding the necromatic powers of the undead, the Vampiir will crush the lifeforce of the living = insta-lifedrain

imo, the vampiir will be a match for SBs, with the same spec-lines except for CS and envenom. Instead they'll have the vampiir line with lifetaps, stuns, and maybe some headbutt moves to flex their fangs. In any case, it will be the compulsory overpowered class, which belongs to Midgard.

I'd guess the Valkyrie will be a dark-paladin. A hybrid tank with spells to help the group and offensive spells too.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Warlock is a nuker/debuffer with the friar's staff spec.

Sigurd

Banned
Oh now what a shame it would be if an overpowered class was given to mid? Maybe we'd compete with your sorcs, minstrels etc. then.

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Escape said:
I'd guess the Valkyrie will be a dark-paladin. A hybrid tank with spells to help the group and offensive spells too.
Why dark? :eek7:
I'd guess that the group help spells would involve some healing. My guess would be a weak mend healer with melee abilities. Not necessary offensive spells, maybe some self-buffs though.

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Escape said:
Because it's Midgard! Everything there is evil, just look at the kobolds :\
No offense, but that's the worst logic I've ever heard.
They at least attempt to follow some of the mythology and lore from the norse countries. Valkyries have never been dark... ;)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Look, I need to believe Midgard is evil so I can justify the killing in rvr. Else what's the point of going to Emain if your opponents are not plagued vermin, intent on eating you?

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Escape said:
Look, I need to believe Midgard is evil so I can justify the killing in rvr. Else what's the point of going to Emain if your opponents are not plagued vermin, intent on eating you?
Now, that's better logic.. ;)

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
Treyguard said:
"warlocks sound a bit dodgy....theres no suggestion they are going to be male only, which is surely the *point* of warlocks. Otherwise they're a witch :)

actually a witch can be both male and female, basicly a witch is the "good guy" a renegade witch the "bad guy" is a warlock, which can also be both female and male.

don´t trust everything you see on TV :)

(and a thanks to the person who just thaught me this :))

Treyguard

Fledgling Freddie
Addlcove said:
don´t trust everything you see on TV :)

Actually I was trusting my dictionary ^^
But meh, doesn't mean thats right either, as it also includes a host of other things it can be, inlcuding satan himself. Which would be an impressivly overpowered class...
What I meant really was you can't draw huge conclusions out of the air, even based on mythology...because each country/region even if they have the same broad mythology still have differnt take on bits an pieces.

For example...acording to some vampire folklore, vampire can be warded off by scattering seeds outside your house and leaving a pin somewhere amongst them. The reason? Vampires are obsessive's and so have to count all the seeds before they can come and eat you...and whilst they are counting, the thinking goes that they'll prick themselves on the pin, drop the seeds and have to start all over again.
Doesn't mean a new hib class will be the Farmer. (Farming line has some small buffs and the vs vampire only stun line, Scatter Seeds.) Although it would be mildly amusing for the first 2 seconds ;)

Instead of a vampire of a werewolf, surely a Draugr would be better for midgard....like werwolves they already in game, but these can be proper myth ones....only real way of stopping them is to decapitate them, rest their head on top of thier bum then set fire to the whole lot. Class is either invulneable until then or has a permanent self rezz like the nf healer ra. :eek6: maybe not :D

firegird

Fledgling Freddie
Treyguard said:
Actually I was trusting my dictionary ^^
But meh, doesn't mean thats right either, as it also includes a host of other things it can be, inlcuding satan himself. Which would be an impressivly overpowered class...
Gifv Satan to Mid...If not, at least Astaroth.RR5 ra will be "Unleash Hell" in which 1000 purple con minions go out in emain and kill everything uncluding stealthers and mobs.Mythic you can even use minions of zo'arkat graphics so you don't have to design anything.And ofc main spell would be 1000 units pbaoe insta lifetap of 1000 delve value.
Or at least give us a class based on this :In Norse mythology, Audumla was a sacred cow who licked from the hoar frost and ice of Niflheim melting upon contact with the hot air from Muspell. Her licking of the ice slowly revealed a god underneath; she eventually licked him free and released Buri.
I know it sounds like a good deal ;)

Derric

Fledgling Freddie
Laston said:
the diffrence, none of em can STEALTH... hib/mid has no equal to the albs stealther who can mezz stun stealth wears chain and has an ablative aswell
:eek:

And we have no equal to a casting class with pets that heal the caster, all while he deals damage uninterrupted.
Or a second light tank with determination. We could play this game all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom