OS within a browser

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Sounds more like a browser based VM. Though admittedly I've only skimmed so might be wrong.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'm quite curious about this...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Am I just epic missing the point here, you need an OS with a browser to run run an OS in?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Enlighten me then Wijlet.

TdC

he's refusing to with the both of us. we must join to know, eg WIJ == LRH

Wij

I am a FH squatter
ffs - it only takes two seconds to register :)

as for why people might use it... well it's a long way off but one day you could have your corporate desktop sat in some cloud and all you need is any PC with internet access and a decent browser. You could use your own kit or any kit anywhere and still be using a company desktop. Or your own.

Personally I just thought the idea sounded freaky so I signed up for a look. Nice to see what browsers can do nowadays.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Having only picked up random bits of information about VMs...

Would this basically mean you would be virtually free from the danger of a virus, I heard that was the case with the XP VM within windows 7...no idea if its true or not

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The Browser host OS could still get infected with a keylogger and pick up your passwords.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
This isn't quite a VM either. A VM renders the display server side and all that is sent back is the finished image almost like a bitmap. This thing renders the 'windows' as objects in the browser.

TdC

ffs - it only takes two seconds to register :)

as for why people might use it... well it's a long way off but one day you could have your corporate desktop sat in some cloud and all you need is any PC with internet access and a decent browser. You could use your own kit or any kit anywhere and still be using a company desktop. Or your own.

Personally I just thought the idea sounded freaky so I signed up for a look. Nice to see what browsers can do nowadays.

hehe ok then I will give it a go. sorry I likened you to Hubbard :(

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
been done years ago with thing like tarantella from sco which meant you could run any environment in a browser

nothing really revolutionary about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom