Origin

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So, you guys heard that EA is lining up to go head to head with Valve's Steam?

Not many details about at the moment but my gut feeling right now is that this will only lead to an era of certain games only released on certain stores (yes I know some games require steam but that's not require steam to buy, that's the steamworks addins).

Thoughts?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
given EA's reputation I doubt they will make any ground against a tried and tested product like Steam.

I certainly wouldnt use it when I've got the rest of my games on Steam and everything. just not worth running 2 separate clients.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
EA have been working on various Steam alternatives for years (at least since 2006 to my certain knowledge). They haven't exactly set the world on fire yet. Does the world need a Steam alternative? Damn straight it does. But a publisher or platform owner isn't the one to do it; too many conflicts of interest. What you need is one of those places...you went there on a Saturday...you know...all nearly gone now...tip of my tongue...Oh yeah, a retailer.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Meh, think what yo will, EA has still brought a lot of good things to the table as well.

Have to see, speculating against it is a bit off as there's no real info before seeing it in action.

Steam isn't perfect by any measure, so there's room for improvement in the market.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
would like to see some competition for Steam, i thought the whole point of online downloading etc was that it would be cheaper than buying in a store by cutting out the middleman, but it often is not (in some cases still cheaper to pre-order from play.com and have it on day of release) o_O

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Steam takes the piss, clunky software with a dated interface and very little flexibility for installs. Prices are a farce as well, when I can buy a boxed copy for less than a digital download then you know they are taking the piss. Steam is only good for the special offers and ease of access to your games. Anyone with a brain and some cash for startup costs could do better.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I dunno why people like Steam. I only have it because Portal wouldn't install without it.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I don't like Steam. However, I can see EA using a game portal as a means to sneaking unremovable DRM onto people's systems.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
EA already make their games a ballache to run on Steam.
Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 needed additional registering with EA to enable the DLC. It all felt "clunky".

What I would be most unchuffed about would be taking old games off Steam in preference for their own system. I backup my game files and uninstall them when I'm not going to be playing them for a while. I like to be able to reinstall from backups and be back up and running in next to no time.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I use Steam alot - and I also swap accounts with friends to try different games, my guess is that that'll stop under EA, they'll try to make people use it on one pc/internet connection or something stupid like that

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It has? I'd struggle to name anything they've done which has been good post about what...2000?

Well i consider published games as a goor merit too, not to mention pure growth as a company. Can't deny success afteerall. It's a strong enough company to make something competitive, which in turn would mean lower prices in a market that's been pretty much Steam regime, and even if EA has done some things that many don't approve they are in part responsible for the game market being as strong as it is.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Thought they already did with EA Link and EA Downloader ...

I bought one game off them before, bc2 I think.

Embattle

FH is my second home
You just know they are going to force some of their bigger titles through this platform.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
No way I'm going to buy stuff from an EA digital distributor, fuck that. They'll probably start charging a monthly sub for it after youve bought some games on it

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Speaking of EA, they have just released a few of their old games on GOG, Dungeon Keeper being one of them. :)

Influenza

Part of the furniture
You just know they are going to force some of their bigger titles through this platform.

Yep , they will have some of the bigger titles only available through it and charge silly prices.

Thats what i hate about steam , its a great platform but the cost of buying games is stupid.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It isn't really though is it?

The price difference more than makes up for the convenience.

You pay like £5 more to buy your game while scratching your arse over your morning coffee, a few hours later you are playing your recent purchase.

Who the fuck cares about high street game shops theses days? Who really wants to wair 2-3 days for Play.com or whoever to get around to delivering your game, Who wants to rummage through cupboards and drawers when they fancy playing an older game?

Steam is the current and the future, personally I welcome competition...but competition from EA is just going to be terrible.

Corran

Part of the furniture
I still like boxed games, feel like i got something i paid for ... but the shops dont make it easy.

Just the other day I was in Game, saw that Shogun 2 was down to £15 or so. Thought what the hell I need a new game to play. So take one of the 15 or so boxes to the desk, 5minutes later the guy comes back "oh we sold out, this box shouldnt be there. Must be a left over one we missed"

Point out the other 14 boxes sitting right at the shop entrance to a response "oh, didnt see them still out there"

Really, why have so many boxes and no discs. lol... lets just say that not only have Game lost out on a sale, so have the publishers/developers as it made me decide not to buy the fucking thing :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Game will be dead and buried within the year. Complete lack of willingness to move with the times.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
it'll flop imo, EA are shit plain and simple :p they're good at one thing and thats churning dumbed down sequels out to maximize profits very little else... certainly not something like this atleast. Steam has been around for donkeys years and was tested heavily back in the Counter-strike days (not source, the original) there is quite simply no way EA could stand toe to toe with Steam despite having more funding (most likely) not to mention the array of online games people have committed to on steam already, do EA really think they'll just jump ship for shitter games? or games that have short life spans due to how fast they bash the sequels out?

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
So I see Origin will be the only way to buy SW:TOR online - I don't imagine that's going to help their launch numbers...

Corran

Part of the furniture
So I see Origin will be the only way to buy SW:TOR online - I don't imagine that's going to help their launch numbers...

I be pre-ordering a box copy. But I agree it is a strange decision. They should make it online available from major store sites, just leave steam out the question. That way they only cut out who be their major opponent in the online distributors whilst offering choice still

Influenza

Part of the furniture
It isn't really though is it?

The price difference more than makes up for the convenience.

You pay like £5 more to buy your game while scratching your arse over your morning coffee, a few hours later you are playing your recent purchase.

Who the fuck cares about high street game shops theses days? Who really wants to wair 2-3 days for Play.com or whoever to get around to delivering your game, Who wants to rummage through cupboards and drawers when they fancy playing an older game?

Steam is the current and the future, personally I welcome competition...but competition from EA is just going to be terrible.

I perhaps shouldve said some games , the new releases arent that much different but most of the older games are , for example ive just got my m8 into the Fallout games and they wouldve cost him £29.99 (new vegas) and £19.99 (fallout 3 goty) if he bought them on steam but he got them for half that on play.com

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
True but that's steams model. Bit of discount for pre-order, non competitive regular item, can't be beaten sale price. They know loads of people would rather download than shop/wait for delivery.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
True but that's steams model. Bit of discount for pre-order, non competitive regular item, can't be beaten sale price. They know loads of people would rather download than shop/wait for delivery.

Said it before and I'll say it again; Steam is fine if you're in the UK (and reasonably competetive), but its a fucking disaster if you're paying in Euros.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah but fuck Europe tbh :p

Embattle

FH is my second home
Steam is and always has been generally the most expensive way to purchase new releases unless pre-ordering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom