organic food

Amanita

Part of the furniture
apart from -
tasting the same
looking the same
being more expensive

as/than none organic food and coming in fancy packaging - what is the point in buying it?

All those pesticides and artificial fertalizers are bad for the environment as well. But ofc if you're really going for environmentally friendly you shop with local organic farmers who give you your stuff in paper bags.

My sister keeps lecturing me on this stuff. Its starting to drive me crazy!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There's not taste difference in oranges?

It was meant as:

Beer has big differences in taste, even in same type of beers.

Organic orange and normal orange have little taste difference, or as much as a jaffa/marocco brand have against eachother.

About the pesticide/other stuff destroying the world, well, the effects are so miniscule compared to other stuff we got going on, and this planet has survived a LOT more then our puny spraycans, that it's not really even a matter that might cause concern.

The planet is fine, it's the humans that's f*cked.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Well, eco products can never be cheaper than "regular" products, cause they're simply more expensive to grow. Eco-animals need more space, eco-veggies need eco-fertiliser, which makes the whole thing much harder. Chemical stuff is just much easier and cheaper to produce.

Then there's also the point of genetic manipulation, but thanks to the oh so great EU, German standards will be lowered soon (before, eco-food wasn't allowed to have ANY genetically manipulated ingedients, now there's some small % allowed, which is absolutely fucking bullshit, cause the logo stays the same, giving customers the illusion nothing has changed).

I bought eco-stuff on some occasions and I will try it out more tbh, especially cause of the already mentioned animal conditions. I don't support pumping animals full of medicine, just so the farmers can keep them in worse condition and I don't mind paying extra for that.
I also like to eat meat, but the amount we consume is much too big. As much as I like it, the point is, that meat is less effective in terms of people fed/m².

People are also less and less interested in quality-food nowadays, as long as it's cheap and tastes like something. Best proof? Look at all the netherland-tomatoes that taste like nothing. I bet lots of people have never eaten a really good tomato that also tastes like one. Ofc garden-grown > everything, but you can't always have that, so eco-products are a pretty nice alternative.
To add to that, I also think that meat is much too cheap and the urge to make stuff cheaper and cheaper leads to more and more food scandals, because the lower price has to come from somewhere.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Life expectancy is up what 35% this century in Europe, Who gives a toss about a few chemical's considering i'm going to live 30 years longer than I would if I was born 100 years ago. You get he drift :p

Were not doomed, don't believe the hype!

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
It was meant as:

Beer has big differences in taste, even in same type of beers.

Organic orange and normal orange have little taste difference, or as much as a jaffa/marocco brand have against eachother.

About the pesticide/other stuff destroying the world, well, the effects are so miniscule compared to other stuff we got going on, and this planet has survived a LOT more then our puny spraycans, that it's not really even a matter that might cause concern.

The planet is fine, it's the humans that's f*cked.

well, depending on what you mean by the planet is fine because in any case it will never take notice of our abuse of it. it wont wake up one day thinking "who the hell just soiled me like that?". earth will keep spinning till the sun implode or whatever it will do. our lifespan is short compared to what the earth can muster.

and what liloe said about fertalizer is what i've been saying all thread - but to counter that i can see tohs point as well.
I think its 90% of what the cow consumes thats turned into something non-ediable for us humans. thats alot of waste compared to eating green products

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
well, depending on what you mean by the planet is fine because in any case it will never take notice of our abuse of it. it wont wake up one day thinking "who the hell just soiled me like that?". earth will keep spinning till the sun implode or whatever it will do. our lifespan is short compared to what the earth can muster.

and what liloe said about fertalizer is what i've been saying all thread - but to counter that i can see tohs point as well.
I think its 90% of what the cow consumes thats turned into something non-ediable for us humans. thats alot of waste compared to eating green products

Yeah it's kind of a "do what you want" situation.

If eating a bit costlier food, makes you feel happier enough(or think it does/maybe does effect your health), then do so.

Planet will survive humans and be here long after we're gone, and just evolve into something else if need be. It has constructed the atmosphere again too. Tuff lil bugger.

But i was partly saying, that all this eco "pr" propaganda, "eating animals is murder" and "eating eco saves the world" is just silly talk...from a technical point of view :D

Olgaline

FH is my second home
.People are also less and less interested in quality-food nowadays, as long as it's cheap and tastes like something. Best proof? Look at all the netherland-tomatoes that taste like nothing. I bet lots of people have never eaten a really good tomato that also tastes like one. Ofc garden-grown > everything, but you can't always have that, so eco-products are a pretty nice alternative.
To add to that, I also think that meat is much too cheap and the urge to make stuff cheaper and cheaper leads to more and more food scandals, because the lower price has to come from somewhere.

Altho I agree with most of what your saying, this last bit is a very big general mis-conception. Eco badges tell you nothing about the quality of the food "what so ever" especially when it comes to taste, alot of "cheap food actually tastes just as good or even better than most eco food, becuase they dont have to live up to the same strick rules of production.

what eco does do is tell you something about the proces foods have gone though, what quality of life the animals have had, that it hasnt been exposed to variouse chemicals ect and so....

but you cannot! draw any automatic line between eco and quality. be it taste, color, tendernes or other....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom