organic food

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
apart from -
tasting the same
looking the same
being more expensive

as/than none organic food and coming in fancy packaging - what is the point in buying it?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Same reason as not to drink coke because of aspartame.

Thought that the non-organics got some minor resedual stuff etc in them, or that organic food will make you healthier and extend your lifespan. Drink diet coke, eat organic, whatever, it's basically the same and noone has died of old age yet.

Silly people :D

tris-

but diet coke costs the same as regular coke, surely organic food should be same.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
but diet coke costs the same as regular coke, surely organic food should be same.

Exactly.

If organic food was SO much better and healthier, why not remove all non-organic and set the price to normal food now.

Wouldn't effect my life.

But now it's SPECIAL, as is the whole scheme behind organic foods/spring water/etc. Because it's "natural"(pfft), it's cost is "ok".

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
It doesnt look the same?

Looks perculiar and small- damn nature!

Not sure about taste as I only ever get organic groceries by mistake.

tris-

it does look the same. i bought some organic spring onions because they were 50% off at tescos, in that "this shit goes out of date tomorrow" pile. just looked like normal spanish ones.

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Its more expensive because the middle class people buy it, therefore we should all pay extra for the privilege of eating the same as them.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
97% of all chocolate (coco) harvested in Africa is done so with unpaid child labour. Just 3% is free-trade. UK is the largest chocolate consumer in Europe.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Basically the reason to buy organic food is not to fuck up the world with all kinds of weird pesticides and shit like that, which we do not know how to rid from the face of Earth again.

Maybe these artificial fertilizers have a negative effect on you, you wouldn't really know.

That's the reason most people, who buy this kind of food, buys it for, I believe, in contrast to Jeremiah :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Did you know that 65% of all pesticides are made with wholegrain pests ?

tris-

Basically the reason to buy organic food is not to fuck up the world with all kinds of weird pesticides and shit like that, which we do not know how to rid from the face of Earth again.

but me buying an organic turnip isnt gonna put the farmer down the road out of business. people are gonna spray shit no matter what you or i buy. the only way this can work is for everyone in the world to buy organic.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
but me buying an organic turnip isnt gonna put the farmer down the road out of business. people are gonna spray shit no matter what you or i buy. the only way this can work is for everyone in the world to buy organic.

Exactly.

Just like with the veggies who say "By not eating meat i'm saving animals!"

F*ck off!

If you want to save bessy barefoot over there, buy her off the farmer. That's the only f*cking way you'll save any animals.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
perhaps not, but its lowers the usage of chemicals which is good, no? who said you need to completly get rid of pesticides in 1 go? imo it should be the other way around - instead of the ECO mark in denmark there should be a DANGER mark on all non-ecological products to make people aware instead of making people feel "better" by buying eco

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
perhaps not, but its lowers the usage of chemicals which is good, no? who said you need to completly get rid of pesticides in 1 go? imo it should be the other way around - instead of the ECO mark in denmark there should be a DANGER mark on all non-ecological products to make people aware instead of making people feel "better" by buying eco

I'll feel better and start buying organics when they are cheaper then the original.

I can't help pesticide use by eating "healthy"(bull) food, but if those ecomaniacs would take a "personal hit", and sell their eco products at a price that's even REASONABLE, people might turn that way.

2 euros more, for an eco turnip, that would effect pesticide use about 0%...no thanks.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Organic food o_o I ate that once.. Then went back to the non-organic because I cba spending £1-2 more for the same product.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
I'll feel better and start buying organics when they are cheaper then the original.

I can't help pesticide use by eating "healthy"(bull) food, but if those ecomaniacs would take a "personal hit", and sell their eco products at a price that's even REASONABLE, people might turn that way.

2 euros more, for an eco turnip, that would effect pesticide use about 0%...no thanks.
its not like its same price to deliver eco compared to the normal so its not likely possible unless they cut their profit if its possible. and excuse me, but i could have sworn nature did deliver things the original way :p

myself i dont buy eco (i dont shop more since i moved home for once, and when i lived alone i was a poor student), but i do enjoy the eco stuff alot more the times i've bought it. carrots are delicious when grown ecologically. its not only about taking care of nature, they are also alot tastier :eek:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
its not like its same price to deliver eco compared to the normal so its not likely possible unless they cut their profit if its possible. and excuse me, but i could have sworn nature did deliver things the original way :p

Yes, that's the problem. They can't make eco crap work(i think it's crap, 'cause it's the same products, with more cash), unless they first forget profit for a while.

Now fi they REALLY wanted to save earth, they'd do this pro bono and sell them cheaper. But they wont. Wanna take two guesses why? :D

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Yes, that's the problem. They can't make eco crap work(i think it's crap, 'cause it's the same products, with more cash), unless they first forget profit for a while.

Now fi they REALLY wanted to save earth, they'd do this pro bono and sell them cheaper. But they wont. Wanna take two guesses why? :D
profit - how exactly should they survive without? i can assure you they dont earn more than other farmers. if they did everyone would go eco. its not like its just sow the crops and harvest - having eco means massacre of plants from insects and bacteria/fungae, diseases and other not so pleasant events. it means less to harvest > less to sell > less profit

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
profit - how exactly should they survive without? i can assure you they dont earn more than other farmers. if they did everyone would go eco. its not like its just sow the crops and harvest - having eco means massacre of plants from insects and bacteria/fungae, diseases and other not so pleasant events. it means less to harvest > less to sell > less profit

Yeah, like i said.

IF they wanted to save the world with this, they would sell for less.

They sell so high, 'cause they want the same profit as the regular farmer, but with the "epeen" waving rights also. But gds forbid they lose some of their income. So they arn't actually doing anything to save the world, they just expect other people to pay for their "generosity".

And YES, farmers get more then they need in cash.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Yeah, like i said.

IF they wanted to save the world with this, they would sell for less.

They sell so high, 'cause they want the same profit as the regular farmer, but with the "epeen" waving rights also. But gds forbid they lose some of their income. So they arn't actually doing anything to save the world, they just expect other people to pay for their "generosity".

And YES, farmers get more then they need in cash.

and how are they supposed to sow the next years crop without any profit? isnt it better to make sure a little is kept clean years to come instead of sacrificing abit so people can pretend they care? if people care about the world, why dont they just spent alittle extra? instead of blaming 1 link in this chain all links should or could be blamed. farmers > suppliers > sellers > consumers. actully spending more money is a healthy way to support society and (denmark in my case) countries slow of money. spending more = more money for the state > more moeny to us \o/
and how exactly will it save the world to sell it cheaper? farmers are free to put their livings into eco farming if they want to.
it seems to have slipped your mind that being eco farmer requires alot more work and isnt generosity. you seem eager to blame the farmers but the true fault lies at the consumers who are to ignorant to see if we continue to pollute the ground we depend on it will collapse and severely damage us (collapse in a metaphorical way of course)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And you are blaming everyone else for NOT spending the extra buck for their veggies.

Why should i, feel obliged to save the world how THEY feel it should be saved by buying THEIR products at their prices while they sacrifice nothing in the end.

I'm not saying they shouldn't make enough to make next years crop, or to live, but the prices are high because they want the same profit from the produce as normal farmers do, and all farmers drive mercedes benz(atleast) because they make good bucks.

They could afford to sell the eco produce cheaper, alot cheaper, but they won't because like all other humans, money comes over some silly notion on saving the world.

You claim i blame only the farmers, in the end it's them where the price starts. They effect the price most.

And yet, you say "people should pay for this", so in effect, saying that the farmers arn't responsible for saving the world, which they are claiming to do with their eco produce, but that it should be taken out of the pockets of people who just want groceries.

Like i said, if the eco produce was ATLEAST same price as regular, then i'd buy it "just cause it might save a thing or two", as would rest of humanity, but it won't happen as long as they want the same profit as the rest of the farmers.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
as i said, its not only about saving tah worlds! its also a good product with more taste and healthier for yourself, which i know alot of people buy them for. maybe a farmer thinks that as well? who are you to claim farmers think they are saving the world?

and why am i blaming the consumers? because in the end they can make the difference. it begins with profit and the profit solely lies in the consumers.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
as i said, its not only about saving tah worlds! its also a good product with more taste and healthier for yourself, which i know alot of people buy them for. maybe a farmer thinks that as well? who are you to claim farmers think they are saving the world?

and why am i blaming the consumers? because in the end they can make the difference. it begins with profit and the profit solely lies in the consumers.

It begins with profit, aye, but in the profit amount people are asking for. Nothing more. Ripping off people is the basis of all "posh" items for example, people pay big bucks for same crap with a different wrapper 'cause it's "trendy". And that's why they can ask those ridiculous prices. Same goes with organic foods.

The "savezor the world!" is the primary marketing strategy of organic foods, so why wouldn't it be logical to think that's why the farmer is doing it?

Unless, it's a marketing trick, in which case saving the world is just a punch of bull and organic food is just a matter of making a produce that sells.

About taste and health reasons, like i said, it has little if any effect on your health and the taste is simply a placebo effect. In a blind taste, i bet not even 1/10 people could tell the difference.

Also, you didn't answer why it should be my responsibility to save the world with my money to support their way of saving the world?

I'll buy normal veggies and save the world, if i even want to, in my own way, not by paying the rip-off prices of some other persons "save the world" idea.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
ill bet you about the taste - go buy 2 oranges, 1 organic 1 sprayed. its not like with beer or other brand where there can be a "placebo" effect, you can hardly see the difference on eco wares and non eco wares (talking fresh green products, not wrapped).

why you should? because, lets assume you want to save the world - apparently you wouldnt give your money to any sort of charity or fundraisers (supporting their way of saving the world) you would have to travel to a destined area and spent your time saving it. if everybody had to save the world that way how exactly would our world look? probably clean but with broken down socities.
still, i do believe that you have not spoken with any farmers about the motives to do eco agroculture... it MIGHT be the sellers who brand it as WORLD SAVING VEGGIES!

and IF its about the money, why did they in the first case switch to something thats clearly high in costs to produce for THE SAME amount of profit?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
ill bet *snip*rofit?

With beer, there's a taste difference. With oranges, there's no bigger difference then there is with maroccos and jaffas.

As said, there's no real taste difference(too miniscule to notice) or health difference. It's just the "thought" of pesticides that helps sell these "healthy" items.

I grew up in a city of 10k people, inland city, where most of the land around is farmland.(as in taters etc etc). I know plenty of farm peeps, and most of them also think of eco people as "hypocritical profit waiters". As in, waiting for the eco sh*t to boom to make big bucks.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
sure there's difference in a pilsner and malt but same kind of beer hardly has any difference (i know there easily can be difference but standard beers, none really) actully, i have blind tested 10 beers and it was only 2 i could guess correctly (one tasted of apple) - havnt tried oranges yet but eco ones are sweeter.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
it's also become a "wellness issue" at least when dealing with animals
Knowing the cows have been out and grasing, pigs have alot of space to roam, chickens live outside in smaller numbers ect and so on and on....

so it's not just about quallity and price but buying peace of mind, wich is becoming a more and more popular phenomenar...

Exactly.

Just like with the veggies who say "By not eating meat i'm saving animals!"

F*ck off!

If you want to save bessy barefoot over there, buy her off the farmer. That's the only f*cking way you'll save any animals.

Best thing I've ever read from you! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom