optical SATA drives

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
do you think sata will ever move to optical drives as well???

(i was about to mention how useful hot swapable optical drives would be, but then realised optical IDE drives already where, almost...)

(humm...)

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
I'm guessin sata will probly end up completely replacing pata, it has too many advantages over pata to not do so

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
In terms of speed, I wouldn't expect it to give any advantage over PATA, as the bottleneck is presumably with the CD. However, SATA is also the superior interface in terms of power consumption and amount of cabling lying around the place, so purely from the point of view of phasing out PATA, I would be very surprised if SATA CD/DVD drives didn't come out fairly soon.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Isn't BTX rumoured to be using sata instead of pata? And hence sata optical drives would be needed for a btx system?

Dozi

Fledgling Freddie
I think 2 things will slow down SATA optical drives catching on:

1. Most motherboards still only have 2 SATA channels on them

2. Optical drives last longer than harddrives. My curent cd drive has moved from 2 or 3 pc rebuilds, and theres nothing wrong with it still - a new one wouldnt be significantly better.

Plus couldnt you just use a PATA --> SATA adapter on your existing PATA optical drives? Having one of those kicking around when i need to drop my parent's best friend's dog's old 2 gig PATA drive in my pc to retrieve Bruno's thesis on cat-chasing will be usefull anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom