Film ooh ooh ooh!! *points* oooh!!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Saw the commercial for this at the cinema a couple of times and thought it looks pretty great but couldn'tr recall what it was called, anyway just seen an ad for it on TV and woo!!! Definately want to go see this one!

YouTube - The Warrior's Way Trailer (2010) HD

:clap: looks like it should be pretty brilliant on the big screen.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Kinda reminds me of a game I've played(Can't remember the exact name), where you play as a samurai, living in the US(Lots of cowboys there).

Ezteq

Queen of OT
aye, cowboys, ninjas, 300 style effects...what's not to like?

well, there's a baby in it which kind of annoys me a bit but I'm hoping it'll be an assassin samurai baby and kick ankle!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
looks kind of like a David Carradine Kung Fu copy

hmmmmm

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Saw some old prog about worriors where they put a samuri up against a viking
and they actually concluded that the little jap would win..pfft!! as if..
therefore I now do not like ninjas or samuri..it's all about pirates, vikings and trolls imo...

Cowboys are A ok though..Jap style worrior ? = overrated! + it's been done to death.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
you mean they all end up jacking themselves to death in an asian hotel?...meh I can live with that as long as the special effects for that bit are not in 3D Oo

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Saw some old prog about worriors where they put a samuri up against a viking
and they actually concluded that the little jap would win..pfft!! as if..
therefore I now do not like ninjas or samuri..it's all about pirates, vikings and trolls imo...

Cowboys are A ok though..Jap style worrior ? = overrated! + it's been done to death.

1 on 1? ofc samurai would win....no contest

Olgaline

FH is my second home
LoL if he sneaked up on the viking in his sleep maybe...

he'd be a pancake before getting within 3 feet of a viking

samuri weapons are for the most slashing weapons, vikings used chain main, it wouldnt even make a dent,
now put on all the armor you want a vikings greataxe might not cut you, but it will still break every bone in your body
from tyhe blow, add to that a big old shield ?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
its not daoc lol

japanese steel folded 200 times would easily go thru chain mail

Ezteq

Queen of OT
ok boys vikings vs samurai...go do research and come back here to post your arguments supported by actual facts and references and things!!!

Chosen

Resident Freddy
vikings vs samurais is like putting up thai boxers vs karate.

Samurais spend alot of time practicing and view their skills as art(which is beautiful, but not efficient), same way karate fighters do.

While vikings is just brutal, using only blows to kill, which is the most efficient way of fighting. Not wasting energy on performing their sword swing beautifull.

Steel can only be so sharp no matter how much you sharpen it. So basically a katana is just as sharp as any other piece of steel that has the same hardness and profile. So I don't think a katane could cut through some of the heaviest mails the vikings used.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Case Closed...

Attachments

• Ninja vs viking.jpg
    Ninja vs viking.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 3

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Steel can only be so sharp no matter how much you sharpen it. So basically a katana is just as sharp as any other piece of steel that has the same hardness and profile. So I don't think a katane could cut through some of the heaviest mails the vikings used.

Wrong

A Viking wouldn't stand a chance vs a Samurai

The Samurai has better equipment and better training. The swords alone are incredibly sharp and well designed, the maximum force on a tiny part of the blade (they have an ever so slight curve in them) They can cut through armour with ease.

The "construction" part is interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana

Chosen

Resident Freddy
A Viking wouldn't stand a chance vs a Samurai

The Samurai has better equipment and better training. The swords alone are incredibly sharp and well designed, the maximum force on a tiny part of the blade (they have an ever so slight curve in them) They can cut through armour with ease.

Give me proof of any katans cutting through chain mail? I've seen them cut through thin hollow pipes and some foil thingy. Chain mails is forged in a way to be very elastic, and VERY hard to cut through at all.

And saying a samurai have better training and equipment? I am sure alot of vikings had the same, if not more fighting experience then alot of the samurai. And some of the vikings equipment(For the best and richest fighters) was also top notch(Mostly equipment they got from plundering etc).

A samurai is not just one person, but a way of a warrior for people in japan under the edo period. While vikings is not a type of fighting style, but people living in scandinavia. Where some of them dedicated their lives to fighting and plundering, which makes the skill level from viking to viking to be very different(The same goes for any modern soldiers, and for the samurais living in japan).

Anyway, the tide of the battle would depend really. What skill level they both were at, experience from real battles and equipment mostly.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
"The problem with Katana and chainmail is - historically they never encountered it (a Katana was designed to be used on an unarmored opponent) and were a specialized weapon designed for maximum cutting ability on human flesh and bone. As such, due to their blade profile, chainmail wreaks havok on a Katana. Even the mighty 9260 blades are damaged as you can see in Martin 'Oz" Austwicks Test to Destruction of a Cheness Shura."

Chain Mail Cutters

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Anyway, a more suitable question would be.

Who wins

a army of well trained veteran vikings

vs

a army of well trained veteran samurais

And forget about all the movies you've seen about samurais now, they can't fly!

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Give me proof of any katans cutting through chain mail? I've seen them cut through thin hollow pipes and some foil thingy. Chain mails is forged in a way to be very elastic, and VERY hard to cut through at all.

And saying a samurai have better training and equipment? I am sure alot of vikings had the same, if not more fighting experience then alot of the samurai. And some of the vikings equipment(For the best and richest fighters) was also top notch(Mostly equipment they got from plundering etc).

A samurai is not just one person, but a way of a warrior for people in japan under the edo period. While vikings is not a type of fighting style, but people living in scandinavia. Where some of them dedicated their lives to fighting and plundering, which makes the skill level from viking to viking to be very different(The same goes for any modern soldiers, and for the samurais living in japan).

Anyway, the tide of the battle would depend really. What skill level they both were at, experience from real battles and equipment mostly.

Id imagine the viking wiuld get hamstrung pretty quickly in all that bulky chainmail and the sword would just be slipped through the weaker points like armpit/neck area for the kill , but thats just me :D

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Id imagine the viking wiuld get hamstrung pretty quickly in all that bulky chainmail and the sword would just be slipped through the weaker points like armpit/neck area for the kill , but thats just me :D

Theres a chance of winning for both sides. But do not forget that alot of the vikings wielded shiels aswell, wich make up for a advantage when fighting a 2handed wielder.

It is speed against power. Remember having a similar discussion about Bruce Lee and Mike tyson :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
At the end of the day, its your own personal preference isn't it?

Like Tyson & Lee, who never met, and even if they did, probably wouldn't agree to a fight (Tyson wouldn't be able to handle the shame of losing), Samurai's never had to encounter chain mail clad warriors.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
At the end of the day, its your own personal preference isn't it?

Like Tyson & Lee, who never met, and even if they did, probably wouldn't agree to a fight (Tyson wouldn't be able to handle the shame of losing), Samurai's never had to encounter chain mail clad warriors.

Agreed, you can come down with facts from both sides. Matching them up against eachother, and speculate of the outcome. But in the end, we can't know for sure.

Tho, I fancy japanese culture and history more then our own. There is for a reason I love anime :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Samurai wins, although it's quite funny you scandies getting all defensive over a bunch of drunken rapists.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No, because vikings would be too drunk to pull the cord. Therefore they are nothing like all muslims.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
yeah and they were all blonde too!

...hang on a mo Oo

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Quite funny tho, stating that someone wins without anything else to add, like for instance, why you think so.

And generalising a whole population, because some of them did bad, aint exactly mature. So please, I welcome you to discuss it, but atleast try to keep it at a good level.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also muslims don't drink alcohol or eat pigs, so again, nothing like Vikings.

Although quite a few nationalist movements would have you think they do the raping and pillaging part.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Samurai's win because they dedicated their life to fighting and being super awesome. Their weapons and armour was of better quality.

If we are going to assume the viking is just a big old barbarian lump (as seems to have been done) then I'll go for brains and skill over brawn.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Samurai's win because they dedicated their life to fighting and being super awesome. Their weapons and armour was of better quality.

If we are going to assume the viking is just a big old barbarian lump (as seems to have been done) then I'll go for brains and skill over brawn.

Actually, they say that weapons forged here in europe at that time, was of the same quality as the way katanas was made, when it comes to hardenes and quality. And I don't really think saying their equipment overall was better then the vikings. First of all, Samurais wore mostly studded(?) which is inferior to chainmail in resistance.

And also to think of, the equipment the vikings wore, depended from viking to viking really(Alot of their armoury was goods from other countries, that they for the most sakes actually got by trading, and sometimes by plundering, or defeated opponents).

Also katanas was forged to cut through lighter armor, and flesh/bone. Which they in modern days tested it on chainmail, and didn't really have that huge effect(Kinda crippled the katana instead, can be seen on the link I posted earlier.)

This because Samurais mostly fought eachother, and adapted to this.
Which also puts an edge over to the vikings, where the hardest combatants there fought people from many nations(Beeing from asia or europe mostly), which should have given them lots of knowledge about different fighting styles.

But it's quite hard to proove anything, which is the most likely to win a battle. Since they never fought eachother, and that there is many different kinds of samurais when it comes to skill levels, same goes for vikings(Where only a part of them got trained from birth to fight).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom