One Plus 2

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I have a oneplus one and I feel distinctly meh about the OPT.

The OPO had a flagship cpu in it, better than flagship ram, battery life, etc.
OPT has none of these things.

I feel like smartphones are now at the point of intel cpus, there's very little reason to upgrade for quite a while unless theres a specific use/feature you need that's improved on.
eg a 2nd gen i series chip with a 970/980 in, will perform almost the same as the new skylake . Reasons to upgrade for most people? 0.
Maybe you want usb3, or m2, but for practical purposes you don't really gain performance.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I am waiting to see what the overheating and finger print reader is like. This or the new iPhone will be my next phone. The iPhone is favourite for the EE wireless calling as you need an EE ROM Android to get that.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

I feel like smartphones are now at the point of intel cpus, there's very little reason to upgrade for quite a while unless theres a specific use/feature you need that's improved on.
eg a 2nd gen i series chip with a 970/980 in, will perform almost the same as the new skylake . Reasons to upgrade for most people? 0.
Maybe you want usb3, or m2, but for practical purposes you don't really gain performance.
Yeah, I can see the "not bothered" from the One Plus 1. I got one for the wife and I still look at it in a very jealous way when compared to my Nexus 5. Lots of that is to do with CyanogenMod and the physical buttons. I can see why there is little need to jump from the original.
I am waiting to see what the overheating and finger print reader is like. This or the new iPhone will be my next phone. The iPhone is favourite for the EE wireless calling as you need an EE ROM Android to get that.
Overheating? I must have missed that one?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, I can see the "not bothered" from the One Plus 1. I got one for the wife and I still look at it in a very jealous way when compared to my Nexus 5. Lots of that is to do with CyanogenMod and the physical buttons. I can see why there is little need to jump from the original.
Overheating? I must have missed that one?
The 810 in the LG has some overheating problems. OnePlus said they have a revised version of the chip but some of the hands on reports said it still got hot not doing a lot. But they are all saying wait for the "release" full review as the preview handsets may have had the old chip.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The 810 in the LG has some overheating problems. OnePlus said they have a revised version of the chip but some of the hands on reports said it still got hot not doing a lot. But they are all saying wait for the "release" full review as the preview handsets may have had the old chip.
Ah, cool. Bit of a shame for the One Plus 2 then that Qualcomm seems to have made their improvements to the 810 and are gearing up for the 820: http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/05/qualcomms-snapdragon-820-specs-leak-35-faster-than-810/

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

I was very tempted by a OPO, I love stock android and this is probably as close as I can get to "sexy stock Android". For me, even thought it's a reasonably small upgrade on the OPO, it's gorgeous.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Invite system for a NON-flagship phone. Literally laughed when I saw the specs.

Charge an extra £80 and give me something better.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

This must be a major concern for the hardware people at this point; we're into the realms of replacement by attrition rather than desire. Tablet market is stagnant (no real innovation for the last couple of years), laptops got a boost with touch screens and semi-tablet functions a while ago, and nothing really since, and desktops? Tiny niche. So all that's left is phones, and the same thing is happening. If it wasn't for the iPhone (ironically because its hardware has been behind the curve for a while), the phone market would be shrinking in the developed world. There was a time when there was always some new gizmo on my want list; right now there's next to nothing...maybe VR, but that's probably a year to 18 months away, and I'm still not convinced it will be a mainstream product.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Wireless charging is the next think I want. But with the (iPhone) charging stands even that is just a novelty and not a must have feature. Phones now are about battery technology now build a smart phone that can go a week without a charge and you will make some money. All of the spec chasing is pointless imo. If you need an octa core processor just to run your menu transitions smoothly there is something wrong with the OS. Optimizing hardware and software to give you a quick phone that lasts should be key not adding .2 to the 8 cores of the CPU in your phone. I wonder how long it will be till you are specing an i7 series and deciding whether you want AMD or NVIDIA on your phone :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Originally I used wireless charging with my Nexus 5 but since it would always turn off the screen I eventually went back to a standard dock/charger.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Yeah wireless charging doesn't make me erect at all. I like how my Z3 Compact does it, sits in the magnetic dock on it's side and if I get a text or call I can see the screen, wireless chargers (some) are on an angle but I don't get the flat idea of them, may as well plug your phone in.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
With the Z3 and Z3 mini the flap for the micro USB is so badly made that it breaks after a few months of opening and closing and renders the phone non-waterproof. My wife has the Mini and it keeps telling her its fucked.

I use a magnetic charger (and so does she now) on mine and its not too bad, really slow charging though compared to standard USB for some reason.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Wireless charging is the next think I want. But with the (iPhone) charging stands even that is just a novelty and not a must have feature. Phones now are about battery technology now build a smart phone that can go a week without a charge and you will make some money. All of the spec chasing is pointless imo. If you need an octa core processor just to run your menu transitions smoothly there is something wrong with the OS. Optimizing hardware and software to give you a quick phone that lasts should be key not adding .2 to the 8 cores of the CPU in your phone. I wonder how long it will be till you are specing an i7 series and deciding whether you want AMD or NVIDIA on your phone :)

Octa/Deca core phones don't operate the same way multi core cpus do. The phone cores have different voltages and clock speeds, so one core might be used for web browsing to preserve battery life and you only operate the fastest core when gaming, and the slowest core for your default phone menu scrolling shit.

old.user4556

To echo what @DaGaffer said, there's a saturation / plateau in the mobile market, I'm primarily interested in an increase in battery life. The 1080p nature of the OPT appeals as the QHD of the Nexus 6 appeared to hamper battery.

Give me three to four days with heavy use and i'll buy it in an instant.

Trem

With the Z3 and Z3 mini the flap for the micro USB is so badly made that it breaks after a few months of opening and closing and renders the phone non-waterproof. My wife has the Mini and it keeps telling her its fucked.

I use a magnetic charger (and so does she now) on mine and its not too bad, really slow charging though compared to standard USB for some reason.
Mine hasn't broke you club fingered gorilla :eek:

DaGaffer

Yeah wireless charging doesn't make me erect at all. I like how my Z3 Compact does it, sits in the magnetic dock on it's side and if I get a text or call I can see the screen, wireless chargers (some) are on an angle but I don't get the flat idea of them, may as well plug your phone in.

Over-promised and under-delivered tbh. "wireless" charging is technically true, but it should really be called induction charging, and everyone is a bit disappointed when they see it in action and realise its hardly worth the effort.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The LG G4 was the first phone that made me like wireless charging the Desktop stand would be great as I use my phone as an alarm. So I have to sit it on my bedside table and it may as well charge. On this it just drop it on there and you are away.

DaGaffer

The LG G4 was the first phone that made me like wireless charging the Desktop stand would be great as I use my phone as an alarm. So I have to sit it on my bedside table and it may as well charge. On this it just drop it on there and you are away.

Yes but is it enough to make most people buy a new phone/switch phones? Its just a fancy dock when you get down to it. Personally I'd use it less than my normal USB charger, so what's the point?

old.user4556

What about turbo / super-fast charging (as in, full battery from drained in minutes), that's something id be interested in. The nexus 6 comes close with its "6 hours for 15 minutes charge".

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Actually I wanna take back what I said about the OPT.

I guess my issue is with the marketing as a flagship killer, never settle etc.

OPT for the price is actually great value, it's just not insane value like the OPO.
I guess it's nearest competitor is the motorola style x, at £359 ( available next month ), which has a 21mp rear camera, 1440p screen, nfc ( OPT doesnt ), but a smaller battery.

The OPO camera was really solid and I expect the OPT camera to be even better.

I still feel like the only reason to upgrade a smartphone these days if you bought a newish phone in the last year or two is if it has a feature you really want, or eventually ( when 30mp+ cameras ) when the specs finally have a sizeable enough advantage over what you already have.

Upgrading every gen just isn't worth it anymore and probably even every second gen isn't worth it.

Trem

I bought my wife an LG G2 and that is faster has a better camera and better battery life than my Z3 Compact, so in my opinion it's all smoke and mirrors all this fancy new phone bollocks. I got this phone for what I was hoping would be a kick ass camera and it really isn't.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The only reason I will upgrade now is if the battery dies on my Z3. Battery lasts 3-4 days with power save mode and moderate use.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
After hearing quite a few negative comments elsewhere - looking at it myself the phone/specs seems quite nice?

1080p screen is fine, and a 3300mAh battery seems good. To be honest the high end phones with a few compromises sound far more appealing than the flagship phones going for specs, then they either end up too expensive (and start to get into iPhone territory - hard to beat), or they obsess with size and end up with a pathetic battery.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I havecancelled my 3 contract, it runs out on the 18th and I'm in the market for a new phone. I'm seriously considering a OPO and a 12 month contract from someone.

Does the OPO stack up against the 6th gen phones, or does it only really compare to 5th gen?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I havecancelled my 3 contract, it runs out on the 18th and I'm in the market for a new phone. I'm seriously considering a OPO and a 12 month contract from someone.

Does the OPO stack up against the 6th gen phones, or does it only really compare to 5th gen?
That depends. If you want a look at me I have the highest XYZ then it does not stack up. If you are just looking for a very fast phone then you will be fine. Get one SIM free Direct and a Sim Only contract. They are nice phones. The only thing making me think about a 2 over a 1 is the finger print reader.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

Cost wise you can't beat it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom