Food Om Nom Nom Nom

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've always been a bit awful when it comes to cooking but I made this over the weekend and it was absolutely awesome :D

IMG_1551.JPG

I seem to be picking up the cooking bug, which is how I ended up getting given this for Christmas, which is where the recipe came from.

I was wondering what you lots favourite recipes are, where they come from, what books you use, etc, etc.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I like making bread and butter pudding because when you buy it from the supermarket it's a soggy mess. Making it yourself is quick and gives it a nice crispy top!

bread-and-butter-pudding.jpg

I don't really make dinners, just puddings. The problem is I just cook for myself and the recipes are for 3-4+ people so I have to binge eat all the cake...

P.S. Shameless plug to my site GetMeCooking (y)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My missus made a nice chineese slow roast pork in rice wine and allsortsofotherchineeseystuff for when I got back from the pub yesterday. It was epic, apart from the shopping bit that took about 3 hours because of the number of shops she had to go to to get the ingredients.

I'm not awful at cooking, I just cba most of the time. However, if I really enjoy something I've had at a good restaurant I'll find a few recipes off the web, pick one and then have a go at that.

I find that it's 3rd time lucky for getting it just right. Once I've done it 3 times I pretty much remember it for life if it's something I like to cook regularly...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
looks well nice, i shall investigate that book :eek:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I like making bread and butter pudding because when you buy it from the supermarket it's a soggy mess. Making it yourself is quick and gives it a nice crispy top!

View attachment 13769

I don't really make dinners, just puddings. The problem is I just cook for myself and the recipes are for 3-4+ people so I have to binge eat all the cake...

P.S. Shameless plug to my site GetMeCooking (y)
I think I'm a bit the opposite, I don't really eat puddings unless I'm out for a meal at a restaurant. I think I'm quite consciously a savoury eater most of the time now because when I was a kid I was a total slave to my sweet tooth.

Nice looking site, I might have a go at Perfect Pita Pizza as the other half is keeping away from wheat at the moment as we think she's developed an allergy to it.
My missus made a nice chineese slow roast pork in rice wine and allsortsofotherchineeseystuff for when I got back from the pub yesterday. It was epic, apart from the shopping bit that took about 3 hours because of the number of shops she had to go to to get the ingredients.

I'm not awful at cooking, I just cba most of the time. However, if I really enjoy something I've had at a good restaurant I'll find a few recipes off the web, pick one and then have a go at that.

I find that it's 3rd time lucky for getting it just right. Once I've done it 3 times I pretty much remember it for life if it's something I like to cook regularly...
That does sound awesome. When I'm cooking if I don't have stuff written down I tend to forget it or when I do try to just remember it I tend to skip a vital step, e.g. miss out key ingredients. I think the shopping thing puts me off a lot as well because I just get fucked off being rammed in some shitbrick supermarket for hours on end.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
looks well nice, i shall investigate that book :eek:
It's based on the BBC show they did which was actually quite a good watch. I'm quite keen to try their Lasagne next as I love all that good Italian stuff.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think I'm quite consciously a savoury eater most of the time now because when I was a kid I was a total slave to my sweet tooth.

Not sure but i think i read/heard somewhere that it's an age/maturity thing. Usually why dark choccie becomes better the older you get too :p

Nate

FH is my second home
I'm gonna make krispy kreme donuts today

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Not sure but i think i read/heard somewhere that it's an age/maturity thing. Usually why dark choccie becomes better the older you get too :p

Definitely. If I want a snack these days its rare that I'll go for the sweet choice. The only weird thing is I've developed a taste for fruity cider.

gohan

FH is my second home
I cook a fair bit, cupboard has more herbs and spices than actual food :<:<:< made a couple of pizza's from scratch yesterday, 1 stuffed crust with sweet chilli chicken and onion other 3 cheese + chicken and plum tomatos plus home made garlic bread!!!!! I'm such a winner!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The only weird thing is I've developed a taste for fruity cider.

Proper real Perry m8. That's the way forward.

I rarely go to a beer festival any more without hunting down a couple of halves of nice artisan Perry.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Is it true that the british KILL their vegetables ?
as in = overcook, overgrill, overfry

gohan

FH is my second home
Probably, but you can't kill a vegetable, if you over boil them use the water to make gravy, no loss of vitamens, also if you grill /fry (as in stir fry) them the nutriuents aren't lost. some veg I like to be harder, like carrots or sprouts or green beans, some I prefer softer like broccoli or cabbage.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Indeed....but from a culinary pov...I know noting worse than overcooked veggies!
it's like eating pre digested food....no thanks!

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Indeed you're most likely right,
the reason I'm asking is that I've often heard that from people when talking about british food.
so was mearly curiouse if it's an actual "thing" or more an old "rumor"

So to clear it up, is there a tendancy for brits to overcook their veggies in comparison to other european countries, where some might also part take in the practice over overcooking said veggies.. :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I dunno Olgaline . Possibly historically but less so now.

Europe is much more "foodie" than the UK - in part because of the cafe culture. Britain's too wet to have a cafe culture, or nice little restaurants that you sit outside on balmy evenings and have loads of nice food brought to you.

We eat a fuckload of shit in the UK and get it on the quick - we don't take time over our food like most european countries I've visited.

However, we do a wicked range of pies and stews - solid heavy foodstuffs that keep you warm. And our real ale is unlike anywhere else I've visited on the planet.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I'm well familiar with real ale and pie ;)
I do frequent Scotland after all!

And I have to say that it hasnt been my experience that the veggies have been overcooked.
But then again, maybe I've simple been in all the wrong places? As for wet and cold ? not really an excuse! :p

want wet and cold ?
come to Denmark or Sweden, it just might change your perspective on that one :p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
However, we do a wicked range of pies and stews - solid heavy foodstuffs that keep you warm. And our real ale is unlike anywhere else I've visited on the planet.

agree. one of the good things about the island :)

DaGaffer

I dunno Olgaline . Possibly historically but less so now.

Europe is much more "foodie" than the UK - in part because of the cafe culture. Britain's too wet to have a cafe culture, or nice little restaurants that you sit outside on balmy evenings and have loads of nice food brought to you.

We eat a fuckload of shit in the UK and get it on the quick - we don't take time over our food like most european countries I've visited.

That was certainly true historically, but its really not anymore. British restaurant culture is as good as anywhere in Europe these days; there's definitely a shitload more choice. Yes we eat loads of crap at the lower end of the market, but even there, the choice of crap is actually broader.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Talking of vegetables and herbs/spices, what goes well with cauliflower and broccoli? I eat them plain daily and it's really dull.

And from the supermarket Pieminister pies are the best!

DaGaffer

Talking of vegetables and herbs/spices, what goes well with cauliflower and broccoli? I eat them plain daily and it's really dull.

Cheese.

gohan

FH is my second home

Depends what you're having them with I guess, if dry again depending what with, you could do them stir fry style, bit of butter, garlic, salt pepper etc.

Never really seasoned vegtables on their own tho to be fair. Unless they have gravy on then love to dollop some mint sauce on them bad boys!!!!!!!

Guess it's like anythin tho, there is no definative answer as it has to complement the rest of the meal, like you wouldn't use basil or rosemary if you were having them with something thai or chinese and you wouldn't use paprika if you were having them with your roast but both are equally valid options....

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Everyone should learn to cook, for the most part it doesn't take all that long to prepare a decent meal and it's far better than the shit you get in a box which is usually full of salt and crap you don't need. Most nights we have something freshly prepared by me, I find it actually help me unwind from the day. It can also be done pretty cheaply, often a dish will run to two nights, or you can freeze it for later on.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Depends what you're having them with I guess, if dry again depending what with, you could do them stir fry style, bit of butter, garlic, salt pepper etc.

Never really seasoned vegtables on their own tho to be fair. Unless they have gravy on then love to dollop some mint sauce on them bad boys!!!!!!!

Guess it's like anythin tho, there is no definative answer as it has to complement the rest of the meal, like you wouldn't use basil or rosemary if you were having them with something thai or chinese and you wouldn't use paprika if you were having them with your roast but both are equally valid options....

mint sauce.... doesn't get more british, or disgusting, than that :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Boosh!, The Pie!

IMG_1565.JPGIMG_1563.JPGIMG_1564.JPG

Chicken and Ham Tangle from the same book, freaking awesome. I have to say that I think the best thing about this book is that it's dead simple to follow, well it has to be if I'm managing the stuff in it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
you cooked your beans for too long

edit - pie looks good though :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom