Olympics

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yes and no.

Yes, because it's the Olympics.

No because our transport infrastructure is dire any day of the week anyway, let alone with thousands of tourists without an idea of where they're going.
The money we will have to spend on the project is a joke. IMO we should pump funds out of shit like this and put it in places where it is really needed: hospitals, schools, transport systems. Only once the basics of a country are sorted out and running effectively should you splash out on extravagances that are not a necessity for a society.

I can't be arsed to go into any more detail, but I'd rather we sorted ourselves out properly first, rather than trying to up our Earthly status (again).

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Couldn't give a shit whether we got it or not, athletics in general is the worst spectator sport ever. It's literally just people running or throwing stuff or running and throwing stuff. It's worse than cricket for fucks sake. If we'd got the World Cup I'd be happy, but the Olympics? I don't think I've ever cared about anything less ever.

mank!

Part of the furniture
i don't give a toss, they're all a bunch of ***** anyway

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
mank said:
i don't give a toss, they're all a bunch of ***** anyway

Couldn't have put it better myself.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Bodhi said:
Couldn't give a shit whether we got it or not, athletics in general is the worst spectator sport ever. It's literally just people running or throwing stuff or running and throwing stuff. It's worse than cricket for fucks sake. If we'd got the World Cup I'd be happy, but the Olympics? I don't think I've ever cared about anything less ever.

Fuck me! Something me and Bodhi agree on! I think that's twice now. Enjoyed getting it for pure franco-wind-uppage, but couldn't actually give a toss. I also see Ken Livingstone using this as an excuse to push through all kinds of crap (council tax levies, extended congestion charges etc) in the next few years.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
I thinks it's good that London will get it's transport infrastructure upgraded (whatever that entails), but, why did it take our hosting of the olympics to make it happen? I travel to London for work about once a year, so it's not exactly effecting me much. Is the extension of Heathrow coinciding with 2012?

The Mayan's calendar expires in 2012 - it could be the last olympics evar!!1

:p

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Paradroid said:
The Mayan's calendar expires in 2012 - it could be the last olympics evar!!1

:p

Surely only for the Mayan Olympic team? :p

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Has anyone mentioned that its going to cost upwards of 12billion pounds? We'll make 2 billion back on extra tourism, and a few hundred million on ticket sales + tv rights.

roughly 200 pounds per person in the country.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
I was in agreement with most posters here in that I really don't care about the olympics, don't like the expense and just enjoyed pissing the French off -

Again.

Having said that, yesterday I was slacking for a while and did a trawl of some sites to see why hosting the Olympics is such a good thing and I found some interesting little facts out.

Firstly they think the Event should boost gdp by around 15% (I think it might be more but being cautious) and provide up to 60000 jobs. Good for the economy then.....

Secondly the are where it's being held is in dire need to redevelopment, so this area should get a total face lift during the buildup to the event - good again imo

The facilties are designed to be moveable so once the event has finished some of the stadia will be moved to other areas in the country - now THAT'S a nice idea imo. No white elephant stadium that's used once in50 years...

Finally - Lots of the events will be held at centres for excellence around the area which means the olympics should be spread around London - making use of landmarks where possible. If this works it should give lots of people the chance to see the olympics in spectacular surroundings...

Whilst I don't care about the Olympics I do think it's cool that we've got it. Tbh I could almost justify the expense and pay extra tax as a result JUST to piss the french off ;)

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom