Old Stuff

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I'm after a cheap disk drive.

I know you can pick up a pretty decent drive, in terms of performance and capacity, for about £45, but say I was happy to make do with a lower specificiation, either below 20Gb, or maybe ATA66, or perhaps even a 5400 rpm ?

Search the usual suspects and you just get leading edge tech, and around £35-40 seems to be the low end price. Does anyone know of a place that sells "trailing edge" technology for a better price ? There must be thousands of older unsold disk units hanging around somewhere that someone would like to make a return on.

mookie

One of Freddy's beloved
i might work at pc world ;)

you can still buy low end drives, 20gb, 5400 at PC world, for about 45 quid, they're samsung ones iirc.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
mookie said:
you can still buy low end drives, 20gb, 5400 at PC world, for about 45 quid, they're samsung ones iirc.
£39 for 20Gb Seagate

£40 for 40Gb Excelstor

£40.50 for 40Gb Maxtor

£41 for 20Gb Western Digital

£41 for 40Gb Seagate

£41.50 for 40Gb Western Digital

£42.49 for 40Gb Maxtor

£46.50 for 60Gb ExcelStor

£48.01 for 40Gb Western Digital WD400JB (nice drive)

£49.00 for 80Gb Excelstor

£50.50 for 80Gb Maxtor

I could go on, but you'll get more accurate pricing and availability from dabs's webbie...

Howzat?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi xane

As mookie and Xavier have highlighted, there tends to be not much demand for 'low end' drives, at least not in the main retail and online outlets. The cost per gigabyte of storage is now so low that the cutting back on other features (RPM etc) to save costs tends not to be done.

Personally, as Xavier has actually highlighted, I really like the Western Digital 40Gb Special Edition hard-drives with 8Mb cache (WD400JB). They're identical to their bigger brothers (80Gb models are particular popular) and provide excellent quality, speed and value for money.

If you really want a low-end drive, then perhaps eBay more obscure online stores may be able to provide for your needs.

Kind Regards

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
sigh

I know there is not much demand, I don't need 40 or 60Gb, I want a dirt cheap sub-20Gb drive, new and guarenteed, I know they are out there, they can't have sold them all !

Does anyone know any "more obscure stores" was my question :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
xane said:
sigh

I know there is not much demand, I don't need 40 or 60Gb, I want a dirt cheap sub-20Gb drive, new and guarenteed, I know they are out there, they can't have sold them all !

Does anyone know any "more obscure stores" was my question :)
Hmm, from what I know most OEM drives have a 3 month warranty? Definately not worth it... and I wouldn't touch eBuyer, but that's just me.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Xane, I'm thinking your best bet for getting a cheap, low-end HDD would be to get hold of one second-hand from a friend or relative who's upgrading.

Hell, if you're lucky you might even be able to scrounge one for free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom