(oh no, not ) Another Desktop thread!

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Mainly due to the fact that they seem to be the most overpriced... yes, Photoshop is a very good program, but I wouldn't say it's worth 10 times the price of Paint Shop Pro.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
fatbusinessman said:
I think OSX runs on a version of BSD, but I don't trust Apple not to somehow destabilise Unix by shoving all their applications on top of it.
Wow...just wow.

So despite having no experience of the OS you're saying it's not stable due to Apple's incompetence. I see a fine future for you in PC World.

Sar

Part of the furniture
fatbusinessman said:
Mainly due to the fact that they seem to be the most overpriced... yes, Photoshop is a very good program, but I wouldn't say it's worth 10 times the price of Paint Shop Pro.
It isn't.

The full version of PSP now costs just over £80.

Buying PS outright from scratch costs £366 direct from Adobe at current exchange rates.

Is it 4½ times better?

I'd say so.

Better interface
Better tools
More tools
Better workflow
Better features
etc

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Scooba da Bass said:
Wow...just wow.

So despite having no experience of the OS you're saying it's not stable due to Apple's incompetence. I see a fine future for you in PC World.
I think fbm is referring to apples poor track record developing for platforms outside of graphite (up to OS9)... Apps such as Quicktime for Windows have always been hideously bloated and never handled GDI properly, and considering the huge customisation made to BSD to get it running on IBMs Power chips, even before OSX was even coded over the top it's made for pretty shaky ground.

OSX can crash in some pretty spectacular ways (Kernel Panics, corrupted Parameter RAM for example) and some of the recovery methods are pretty arcane to say the least...

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm fairly sure PSP 8 has been as low as £50 recently and while PS is better it isn't worth the extra money...for the majority of people.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Maybe, but to get it even shipped from Jasc.com costs a grand total of $180, or £101.

That include $60 for shipping alone.

Ouchie.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Sar said:
It isn't.

The full version of PSP now costs just over £80.

Buying PS outright from scratch costs £366 direct from Adobe at current exchange rates.

Is it 4½ times better?

I'd say so.

Better interface
Better tools
More tools
Better workflow
Better features
etc

PSP8 standalone is about £56 from dabs, you can get the power suite for £76, but that's a total of 5 applications: PSP8, Photo Album, PSP Xtras Ed 2, PSP Xtras Ed 2 and Animation Shop.

Salteh

Fledgling Freddie
I think this works... Click the image for the big version.. 2300-something * something.

:)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Ya, it's the fuller versions I'm talking about that's about £80, because there is only one version of PShop.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
I think fbm is referring to apples poor track record developing for platforms outside of graphite (up to OS9)... Apps such as Quicktime for Windows have always been hideously bloated and never handled GDI properly, and considering the huge customisation made to BSD to get it running on IBMs Power chips, even before OSX was even coded over the top it's made for pretty shaky ground.

OSX can crash in some pretty spectacular ways (Kernel Panics, corrupted Parameter RAM for example) and some of the recovery methods are pretty arcane to say the least...
I'll wait till FBM replies but you've comitted a couple of pretty obvious fallacies.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Sar said:
Ya, it's the fuller versions I'm talking about that's about £80, because there is only one version of PShop.
Not forgetting photoshop elements :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Yer, but it's a seperately sold App though, sold to compete at the "Family User" level.

IE: My Dad.

:D

Hashmonster

Fledgling Freddie
huzzah a desktop thread too - here goes...

Newdesktop03.jpg

sad i know but me loves me car :)

Lemming

Fledgling Freddie
aint particularly good, but as we've had Windows and Mac desktops....

desktop.jpg

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Is anyone using Samurize these days? I'm messing with a config at the moment but looking for more ideas.

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
wip.jpg

just starting to reskin mine again, will hopefully find some spinky stone slab pngs to replace the alpha rectangles, didn't realise Samurize was so flexible now though, tons more WMI info available since I last tinkered which was <V0.6

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
xaviersky.jpg

Went out with my camera this morning and happened to get a couple of cool shots, so the deskie has already changed, now I need to reskin everything to match, argh.

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
Heeeyyy!! Miles came back!!
jebus, someone who actually remembers me

:drink: for you sir

I like many was disolutioned by the corporate odours that emenated from the now fallen Barrysworld.com. Once I heard it was reborn/regressing back to FreddysHouse returning to the 'fold' felt like slipping into a warm bed with a nice hot water bottle to hold and a beautiful woman to warm your feet

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom