Oh for fruck sake!!!1111

Gray

FH is my second home
Why? Why does it have to happen

Ever since the last time, my system has been absolutely superb, no crashes, no nothing.

What happens today?

Fucking mum does the ironing, the whole house has a power cut, nothing out the usual, everything is switched back on - Except my PC. There is no output from the actual Motherboard (When the lead is plugged in - On my motherboard 2 lights come on) these lights didnt show up.

I tried another power socket - Once again, nothing.

I had a gutsy feeling that my whole PC had just blown up, not just the actual PSU.

Lucklily enough, i still had my old PSU handy which works, meaning the PSU i just bought is fucked completely.

Ive had it what? about 2months or so, i paid £70 for the bastard and it dies. The power socket was Anti-Surge as well, so i have no idea why it happened...

System performance has drowned once again, im going to have to find out what things in the BIOS i had selected because i think this is going to be the start of another long journey...

Is there anything i can do to get a replacement PSU? Im fucked if im letting this one go by me

Chilly

Balls of steel
Obviously wasnt a very good anti surge, although it may have been a side affect of the instant shutting down from the mains instead of from the power supply.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Hi. Your house sucks. Fucking dirty scousers.

I live in a crappy Lambeth council house and the electricity works. Never had a surge protector, had plenty of blown fuses and power cuts and we used to have to turn everything off when there was a storm.

sux2bu

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
youve only had the su a couple of months? - take it back for a replacement!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gray, how long did you leave it before trying again with the old PSU? I have seen situations where a power cut/abnormal shutdown can cause some kind of timeout trigger in the PSU/mobo preventing it restarting for up to about 10 mins, but after a while it starts without any problem. Did you;

a) Try it, find it didn't work, rant a bit and start pulling pieces out

or

b) Try it, find it didn't work, rant a bit, have a cup of tea, a ciggy and calm down and then try pulling pieces out?

If you answered a then I'd be inclined to try putting the new psu back in and wait 10 mins before trying it. If you answered b then you should stop depending on nicotine to get through life's crises (like me) :p

Gray

FH is my second home
Nah, it just went like this a bit...

Whole house' electricity goes off
Everything comes back on (Monitor, printer, TV etc) but PC fails to show the Red/Green lights which are always on when there is power.
I unplugged the lead and left it a few minutes
I tried another Surge Protector (with a different lead)
No power still from the motherboard (Although, when it connected i could here the usual "scratching" type noise which electric makes)
I discharged the CMOS
I unplugged lead again and went to watch Samurai Jack (About 20mins)
Called Bro who said that sounds like the PSU may have blown - Luckily i had my spare.
Everything comes back on.

And yeah - I ordered it on 16th March and everything was installed around the 19th March - So less than 2 months old. I purchased it from Aria, but i was asking around and people said that they may refuse to get another one sent out as a replacement due to it being a possible powe surge...

But for £70 and it being one of the best around by all accounts, i would have thought it being much better than this

Clown

Part of the furniture
I've never had this problem with a £10 PSU :)

I'm so lucky that nothing has ever gone wrong. Apart from the big viruses like MS Blaster, or me putting screws through GFX card RAM chips, or exploding water in my computer.

Teehee.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
TBH, I dont think you have a leg to stand on as far as sending the PSU back goes.

The manufacturers dont offer any kind of surge protection (normally) so its actually you (or in this case, your Mums) fault that it blew.

One thing you may want to check though. Inside most PSU's is a small 5v glass fuse. Whip the PSU to bits, check the fuse, replace if blown. See what happens.*

Might be worth a go.

*Im taking no responsibility for damage to yourself or your equipment if this goes wrong.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
You should open your iron and let it dry out. Sometimes water gets into mine, over the wiring and the power cuts out.

Your surge protector should have a warranty, to cover any damage?
Else RMA the PSU...

Gray

FH is my second home
Dont know about warranty, might have to see...

Im thinking of emailing Aria soon, im going to explain that when i first got the PSU, there was a problem where in the BIOS/WinBond they would go off their tits saying that the -5v Rail was something like -61.99v - I emailed Enermax who did not email me back (Or correspond) about the issue...

But, this is a long shot... Will the 5v rail ever cause a problem like this, where the PSU fries? I just need to say the right thing... maybe i could do it ;/

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Was the iron plugged into the same ring main as your computer? If not, I strongly suggest having your household wiring inspected.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Gray said:
There is no output from the actual Motherboard (When the lead is plugged in - On my motherboard 2 lights come on) these lights didnt show up.
If these 2 lights are part of a set of 4 on your mobo, then it sounds like you have D-LED. Look up the light combination with your mobo manual, or the little leaflet that comes with it.

Clown sux btw.

Gray

FH is my second home
Nahh, there is just 2 LEDs which are always on (Abit NF7-S)

Some bad points

The only REALLY annoying thing about it for me is the fact that there are 2 bright LED’s down on the bottom bit of the board next to the BIOS chip, which stay on even when the pc is off, unless you turn off the power to the PC altogether form the power supply. This is obviously solved by putting some black tape over them, but still, it’s a bit stupid in my opinion.

I might try putting the PSU back on later as a test see if i get any joy as its been sitting on my bed for the past 6/7 hours so..

Gray

FH is my second home
What it says on Enermax.co.uk/Warranty

Enermax Power Supply
3-Year Limited Warranty Enermax Case & Peripheral
1-Year Limited Warranty

Coolergiant Ltd UK warrants its product against defects in material and workmanship under normal use for a period of three (3) years from the date of original purchase.

WHO IS COVERED

This warranty is enforceable only by the original end user purchaser. This warranty is non-transferable.

WHAT IS COVERED

This warranty includes three (3) year limited coverage for all defects in material and workmanship on all Power Supply.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

1. Any product on which the serial number has been defaced modified or removed.
2. Damage, deterioration or malfunction resulting from, but not limited to:
a. Repair or attempted repair by someone other than Ener certified technician.
b. Accident (such as dropping or spilled liquids), misuse, abuse, neglect, fire, water, lighting or other
acts of nature, unauthorized product modification, or usage not in accordance with the Ener
product instructions.
3. Use of parts and components not supplied by Enermax.
4. Normal wear
5. Shipping and handling charges.

HOW TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE

1. If product need repair within the first 30 days after purchase, return product to where you purchased from.
2. Whenever warranty service is required, the original dated invoice will be require as proof of warranty coverage.
3. All repairs within the warranty period must have an RMA# which can be obtain by calling 0870 240 2571. Product return without RMA# will be refuse.
4. Coolergiant Ltd UK may repair or replace the defective part(s) or units with a new part(s) or unit or at Coolergiant Ltd UK sole option with a refurbished part or unit that is not new but has been functionally tested.
5. Coolergiant Ltd UK is not responsible for shipping damage.
6. Package must be in original packaging and ship freight pre-paid.

So.. does that mean the power surge IS covered?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No, I would say it falls under section (b) as an accident.

At the end of the day your house is poorly wired, you should have had a seperate fuse box for your computer.

Embattle

FH is my second home
You might as well have a go at sending it back, tbh most PSUs do not fail through such sudden powercuts although it is more likely to occur at this sort of time, it is also more likely to show any possible defects in material and workmanship. You don't even necessarily have to tell them the whole story, just say you went to turn on your computer one morning and it failed to turn on.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
if yer power surge socket didnt protect you and its made by belking or monster i think they cough up for the damaged goods

Gray

FH is my second home
Might have a go... still have everything here anyway, infact... Im going to try the PSU now one final time, see if its ok.. if not.. hohum

Gray

FH is my second home
more than 24hrs after.... Still doesnt work

Booo

Gonna call Enermax tomorrow... hopefully i can come up with something there...

Rather than say my PC is on 24/7 say something like Embs... "Well <guy> im really unsure what happened, i turned on my PC but nothing happened, i noticed the lights on my Motherboard not lighting up so i had a feeling it was a power issue, i tried different sockets but came up blank, i tried my previous PSU and it came on straight away.. I tried it more than 24hrs later but again still nothing"...

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Have you tried disconnecting the PSU from the motherboard, sometimes this is needed to reset things, like when it overheats, etc. ?

Oh and Emermax are crap, I've had at least two failures with that brand.

Gray

FH is my second home
I looked for the email i sent to Enermax (Which they didnt respond to) luckily i found it so i may bring it up..

Hi,

I recently purchased an Enermax Noisetaker 485w Powersupply from Aria.co.uk. Now, my query is in regard to a “problem” as it were which I maybe getting from the actual Powersupply.

Installing the Powersupply was faultless, there was no hiccups. Although, when I ran my Windows diagnostic for voltages and the like (Winbond Hardware Monitor / Everest) the “-5v Rail” was showing up as being 3.55v this caused concern at the time because there was lots of beeping.

I checked in my BIOS, and found that the -5v Rail again was showing as inaccurate, this time it showed as -61.99v again I checked and they was confused.

Can you please explain why the voltages are not correct, and also, will it do any damage to my PC or any of its components.

Thanks,

Gray

FH is my second home
Well i cant get away with the -5v rail thing because they mention it on their website that there is no use for it - Only for ISA (Booo!)

But i gave them a call, they promptly answered, i explained (Without stating the power surge) and they said email over the details to they can proceed with RMA'ing it!

Weeeee! ;D

(Dont know if im out of it yet though...)

Gray

FH is my second home
Recieved new PSU this morning, oh happy days! ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom