[Official] Clustering Thread

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
As most of you will know, we are currently considering clustering the English servers. We've had one poll on this and are currently running a second. Numbers however only tell us so much and so we are looking for more detailed feedback about your views on this subject.

Firstly I'll lay out what the principle advantages and disadvantages of clustering are.

The advantage:
+ The populations of Prydwen and Excalibur will increase immediately. This will mean there will be more people available to group with, raid with or RvR with.

The disadvantages:
+ Excalibur and Prydwen will become essentially one server with many duplicated zones. New players (of which there are many since Catacombs) will only have a choice of one realm. Players who currently play both servers on more than one realm will find that it is harder to swap between their characters. Existing players who want to try a different realm to their main characters will have to either open a new account or delete all the characters on their main account.
+ There are many well defined and closely knit communities on both servers. The sudden introduction of so many new allies and enemies will undoubtedly change those communities for ever. Game economies will most certainly change and, in genera,l items will become far more expensive across the board. This is likely to affect Prydwen more than it will Excalibur.
+ Clustering is irreversible. Once we have taken the step we cannot go back to having separate servers for Prydwen and Excalibur. If you don't like it afterwards there is no changing your mind.

Why Cluster?
Keep in mind that when Mythic clustered servers, they were responding toa situation where some servers had a primetime population of less than 300 people. Our servers have prime time populations of close to 1000 for Prydwen and 1500 for Excalibur. They are by no means dead servers, last night on Prydwen there were approximately 250 people in New Frontiers zones which is a very healthy RvR population. The smallest realm (Hib/Prydwen) is still able to run large scale raids with little difficulty. Not clustering now still leaves the possibility open for the future should populations drop low enough to require it.

I'd like to know why you voted the way you did and why your choice is the best one for the servers. Abusive, offtopic or spam responses will be deleted.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
voted no - the servers are big enough to survive on their own and I don't think something that's a disincentive to new players is a good idea.

Maybe later if things get worse, but not now, not if it's irreversible.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Voted yes. Prydwen isnt big enough for long.

Incase we dont cluster Im guessing approx 50-75 RvR-active people will cancel; including alot of bots (which are prolly also counted in NF active people).

Then we're down to 150~ people in the frontier; including bots thats too low for such a wide area.

Lately on Prydwen you see 3-5 FG's roaming from ALL realms; basically no bases to run a FG as its no fun to fight a handful of the same enemies night in night out.

The problem with a Bountypoint-shortage on Alb/Pryd and Mid/Pryd is enough indication their population(s) isnt big enough to keep their keeps at an acceptable level. They need clustering to be able to do so.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Voted yes

I want more FGs roaming in NF, atm on Excal there are only about 2 guilds in each realm, and with the possiblity they arent on, RVR is zergy and boring. Without more RVR Guilds and 8v8 fights, I think alot of people will quit; i know i will - zerging sux :(

Bloodclot

Banned
voted yes.

as upcoming hib/pryd group we want to fight our excal/mid allies or fight albs in a different point of few.

and when there are no keeps taken. rvr is pretty dead (both servers).

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Puppet said:
Voted yes. Prydwen isnt big enough for long.

This is the exact WRONG reason to vote yes...

Don't you see that voting no now doesn't mean that the servers won't be clustered ever? If what you say happens in deed happens surely the servers will be clustered. The whole idea behind clustering was to revive dead servers. Not to merge 2 living servers because they "might" die in the near future.

Prydwen and Excal are alive and well ... clustering wasn't designed for the situation the servers are in atm.

I voted no because I think it is shortsighted and simply not necesary yet.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Voted Yes. I dont think new players have the knowledge of the game to objectively weigh up the benefits of mulitple servers as opposed to one clustered server anyway. So I dont believe this issue will have a noticable impact upon new numbers. I know when I started DAOC I didnt know what server was what and that raids would need so many ppl , or even what master levels were...

Prywden is only just 'surviving' when we would all like to have a flourishing (or at least good) rvr scene. And some of those players have been hanging in there waiting for this and will leave if it doesnt happen soon. Even excali is quite dead outside of prime time.

ImaNoobie

Fledgling Freddie
Voted No.

Since GOA refuse to open more english servers (ie Co-op, normal) and we only have 2 (PvP doesn't count) we are limited to only playing 2 realms as it is. Unlike the French/German who have more servers therefore being able to play all 3 realms.

It is also VERY unlikely we'll have any new server type (currently being voted on in the US) as GOA obviously don't like spending money.

Clustering, as stated, would reduce the game we pay/ed for to one third of the content available. The US have a lot more servers and clustering doesnt affect them the same way, they are still able to play all 3 realms simutaneously without the need to delete characters/open new accounts.

If the servers do get clustered then im sure you'll notice your active subscriptions falling.

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Yes - Much rather have more people around, although Prydwen has picked up a bit recently, i can't see it staying this way for long. Also even though it has picked up, i'd much rather see more people than there already are in other zones. It's not just about RVR remember. I want more people to group with in classic zones too...

Gamah

Banned
I haven't voted on the second cluster poll, In general I think clustering will be bad for my play style..However I can see how / why many people want it.

Ironic though if you look at most of the people saying "givf cluster" its members of "elite" guild groups who call everyone else roleplayers (Xxitard). I don't consider myself a casual player or a "roleplayer"..But apprantly if you think against the grain of the hardcore players (Note I didn't say good players) then your a retard or a roleplayer.

Anywho I digress

I don't want clustering for one simple reason, zergs..they have been bad enough on Prydwen let alone excal..however people do claim that a higher population would spread out RvR...With the mentality that prydwen and Excal have had for so long (all RvR in one place) I don't see this happening, I just see bigger zergs.

Anyone that wants to make an intelligent counter-argument to this post is more than welcome, any troll with an IQ lower than a turnip on weed don't bother. Although I'm against it, I can see (and hope) my thoreys on the issue could possibly be ill-founded..and as I have always done since I started playing this game on release day..I'll accept the change and adapt.

Gamah

Banned
ImaNoobie said:
Classic/SI/ToA zones won't be clustered. Its just NF and Cities...

Even if they are not clustered, people from other servers can port to that zone..clustered means there will be 1 NF zone..but if an area is not clustered players from BOTH SERVERS can still visit it.

Watchh

One of Freddy's beloved
Yes 2 Cluster, we need more active rvr even on Excalibur, the zerg will surely spread out over more zone's/keeps. and more fg's to fight can't be a bad thing

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Even if they are not clustered, people from other servers can port to that zone..clustered means there will be 1 NF zone..but if an area is not clustered players from BOTH SERVERS can still visit it.

What he said ;)

siaka

Banned
voted yes because I would like to chain grapple certain tanks on mid/exc :)

wittor

Can't get enough of FH
voted yes . more rvr + a chance to grp with a few friends from pryd w/o rerolling :eek:
and ppl who are afraid of the zerg .. just avoid it?

btw exc popu isent 1500. its more like 1100 ...

katjak

Fledgling Freddie
Voted yes.

Reason:

Although the population has grown recently, it is still far from what is once where. In the mean time the world has grown bigger, and the relic and keep situation has changed from being doable by a few groups, to it being necessary to bring a zerg. Also, master level raids require a whole lot of people, and many ml raids on mid/pryd have been cancelled due to the lack of people.

Although the current population is not critical, where is the sense in holding back clustering until enough people have been scared away, instead of implementing it now, and then hopefully keep people from leaving?

Duzic

Fledgling Freddie
yes yes yes gogogo cluster give more grps 2 fight :p

to quote some gimpy easymode zerker "WE MUST CLUSTER!!11!!1 ;)

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
I voted yes...

Reason: I know a lot of folks who came back to play after the perceived 'promise' of clustering and who will leave again if it doesn't happen...

I've lived through the good days in RvR and (more recently the bad)...

I don't really want to be permanently involved with bridge fights and tower defences as the only ay to get rps (even if my class is pretty much tailored towards that end)

Zergs are a worry, yes... We all know that they'll just go where the flames
are on the map so finding a decent FG battle could become harder...

To be honest I'll live with thatif I have to, I just never want to go back to the situation where you can run around the frontiers for several hours and see no-one...

Plus the ability to change to my alts on a different server and meet those I know from my home realm in combat seems like a fun idea :)

majik

Banned
Voted yes because I would like to heal Kaisar while he chain grapples certain tanks on mid/excal:)

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Voted yes.

I cant see how anyone can say RvR is good on excal when you have to roam up to 10 mins to find groups at all.

Also many players are waiting this clustering and thus reopened their accounts,if clustering wont happen RvR degrades even more as people left and use their "wallet power" to not keep playing on dead server.

So definitely yes

rure

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
The disadvantages:
+ There are many well defined and closely knit communities on both servers. The sudden introduction of so many new allies and enemies will undoubtedly change those communities for ever.

I dont see why this is a disadvantage only? And I fail to see how new and more people to fight would affect the community in a bad way? Hell, I dont understand why having new allies would be bad either?

Banana

Fledgling Freddie
I would vote yes as the advantages it has in regards to RvR far outweighs the disadvantages in PvE it will bring but for one thing..

English speaking servers only have 2 servers to choose from where as the french/german servers that are also considering clustering have many others.

Would GoA be prepared to give the english speaking community another server should clustering go ahead?

Overdue

Fledgling Freddie
Voted yes.

Basically RvR activity is poor on Prydwen and there are few groups running even in prime time... I'll probably leave Dark Age of Camelot if it doesn't happy anyway.

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH

hmm i voted yes but im getting scared, ever since i played my excal alt, a GoV cost 45p......
and most likely this is gonna alter prydwens economy no?

Overdue

Fledgling Freddie
Banana said:
I would vote yes as the advantages it has in regards to RvR far outweighs the disadvantages in PvE it will bring but for one thing..

English speaking servers only have 2 servers to choose from where as the french/german servers that are also considering clustering have many others.

Would GoA be prepared to give the english speaking community another server should clustering go ahead?

I think you'll find that if that happens, your just splitting the community again into a half.

lairiodd

Loyal Freddie
+ Excalibur and Prydwen will become essentially one server with many duplicated zones. New players (of which there are many since Catacombs) will only have a choice of one realm. Players who currently play both servers on more than one realm will find that it is harder to swap between their characters. Existing players who want to try a different realm to their main characters will have to either open a new account or delete all the characters on their main account.

Why is there actually a need to block new players from doing this ? I understand that it will help with cross realming, but probably 50-60% of the current player base have chars on both servers in different realms. Any new players who create chars on both servers aren't really going to add that many more potential spys. You would basically be hurting new players without actually providing much of a benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom