Official camelot site

[CE]Hjendug

Fledgling Freddie
Hey, i was just thinking how can it be that the official camelot site doesent have a forum, where people can flame, whine whatever do in it?
this was mostly a question to the [GoA] Gm's ^^

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Nice idea to be honest would be nice to have an official forum for DAoC, but not sure if people would visit it that much, many people seem to find it hard to even look at the 1st page for latest news still. :p

I know Eve's is quite populated.

Icebreaker

Fledgling Freddie
[CE]Hjendug said:
Hey, i was just thinking how can it be that the official camelot site doesent have a forum, where people can flame, whine whatever do in it?

They had a Forum. But it got closed because of people flaming, whining whatever on it. xD

Long Time ago!

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
yup... I remember it well in the beta... closed it down just after retail because way too much GOA abuse... GOA suck etc. etc.

[CE]Hjendug

Fledgling Freddie
well as far i know they do a pretty good job ignoreing the "goa sux" stuff why couldent they do it there?
not like many "unfamilier players" go look there anyway to see what daoc really is anyway

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
simple straightforward question here:

what advantage would an official GOA forum have? over people posting here for example.

(other than making my job easier heh ;))

Ovi1

Fledgling Freddie
[CE]Hjendug said:
well as far i know they do a pretty good job ignoreing the "goa sux" stuff why couldent they do it there?
not like many "unfamilier players" go look there anyway to see what daoc really is anyway

It's more about bad publicity on the official site I guess.

Look at SoE's boards, and the complaints of censorship to see why Official forums probably aren't as good as unofficial ones ;)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Same with Blizzard & WoW, earlier. Lots of negative threads would get deleted. Even though most of them got deleted because they were indecent, it does reek of censorship and might give visitors to the site the wrong idea about the game (the whine) or Blizzard(The censorship).

popa

Fledgling Freddie
will be perfect if the official forum will be whit game account soo if ppl start flame temp ban acc forum and game

Milne

Fledgling Freddie
popa said:
will be perfect if the official forum will be whit game account soo if ppl start flame temp ban acc forum and game

Dumbest, idea, ever.

Ogrelin Blodig

One of Freddy's beloved
Flimgoblin said:

what advantage would an official GOA forum have? over people posting here for example.

if the forumaccounts where bound to an open daoc-accont, we would not have to see the constant flaming from people not playing the game at all anymore....that would be GREAT! :) :) :)

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
The US have http://daoc.catacombs.com, which I'm sure many people here use already, I'm not sure if its an official Mythic site, but it is the main forums for the US servers, and the first link you find when you google "DAOC". Also theres hardly any non-contructive whine/prophet-of-doom posts there, they have VN boards for that :)

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
popa said:

Then hang them in the village square, mutilate their bodies and send their pieces to the corners of the land as an example to everyone! Hm... right! :twak:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Void959 said:
The US have http://daoc.catacombs.com, which I'm sure many people here use already, I'm not sure if its an official Mythic site, but it is the main forums for the US servers, and the first link you find when you google "DAOC". Also theres hardly any non-contructive whine/prophet-of-doom posts there, they have VN boards for that :)

that's just a fan site (which happens to have the same name as a mythic expansion - however Catacombs is a mmorpg network - they have fan sites for a number of games)

there's also VN (camelotvault.ign.com) - which most would consider the "main" ones - far more traffic than catacombs.

And probably many more ;)

Devs occasionally post on VN, Catacombs and other places (not so often nowadays) but they're not official forums.

Mythic have no official forums that are open to the public, same as GOA.

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
I remember they closed the official DAOC forums during the Salt Lake City Olympic Games but I don't remember what year it was. (yeah my brain is stange). The official reason was that there weren't enough role play :clap: :m00: but everybody knows it was because of the flamers :D

Culanan

One of Freddy's beloved
Flimgoblin said:

None, GOA avoid bad publicity towards potential new customers checking out the site :)

By the time players are signed up to FH they are already addicted! Muwahahahaha....

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
The WoW and City of Heroes official forums are tied to accounts; you can read without an account but only registered account holders can post.

A managed forum: this would mean hiring people etc and responding; managing peoples expectations; explaining why something was the way it was rather than just the working as intended. And as for people flaming you have to work through it. If you go into a shop and the shopkeeper - who has had a bad day - chooses to ignore you or responds negatively / in an off-hand maner you may eventually go elsewhere. The flames need to be managed; the vision expounded; barricades build; flames dampened doen and finally extinguished by delivering on a promised solution. This is not rocket science its basic marketing.

Ironically before DAoC launched Mark Jacobs etc posted a lot. He expounded his vision and got people excited about the game (player mounts anyone - ouch). But no more. The communication channel of choice appeared to be via interviews and press releases. Far be it from me to suggest its not working ....

Syri

FH is my second home
[CE]Hjendug said:
with all the server outages, open transit issues and such that affect connection to the servers also taking out the homepage, you'd never be able to use the official forums for any kind of feedback on downtime or anything till it was fixed anyway :)
too many people have too many complaints with goa, the staff are taking long enough to get patches done as it is without having to answer/delete/lock a load of forum posts

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom