Off to play Horizons....

C

cHodAX

.... got it for £14.99 inc delivery so I am off to the mystical land of Istaria. I will be using the same name but no idea what server yet. So, who else is playing it and what server do you reccomend?

O

old.mattshanes

Chod give a review here later and i probably go rush out and get it if it's good:D

Where did you get it from anyway?good price.

A

Arlone

looks great ... but the part with "no RvR, no PvP" make me stick with daoc for now :)

best of luck to you tho and may your dragon grow fast and big ;)

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
Chod give a review here later and i probably go rush out and get it if it's good:D

play.com

L

Lam

I'm playing on the Wind server together with quite a few other Griffon Knights atm, feel free to pay us a visit.

O

old.Hellskor

as long as you leave the ninja Zombies alone and do some exploring before you judge the game, it's great :)

...just don't start an argument with anything that got this 'Chaoswarrior' in the infobox.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Arlone
looks great ... but the part with "no RvR, no PvP" make me stick with daoc for now :)

best of luck to you tho and may your dragon grow fast and big ;)

After 2 years of RvR and waiting for numerous exploits/bugs/balance issues to be fixed I will happily take a break from RvR and try a game that looks like it has potential even if there is no PvP yet. DAoC has disappointed me so much lately that anything new would make a nice change :)

G

Gamzy

MEEP MEEP

I know what my next game is let me know where u are chod!

P

pincer

Originally posted by cHodAX
After 2 years of RvR and waiting for numerous exploits/bugs/balance issues to be fixed I will happily take a break from RvR and try a game that looks like it has potential even if there is no PvP yet. DAoC has disappointed me so much lately that anything new would make a nice change :)

Completely agree with that :)

C

cHodAX

Loads of French on Wind so I may try Ice server, got mates playing there and lots of english speakers seem to be on there.

F

Fafnir

Loads of French on Wind so I may try Ice server, got mates playing there and lots of english speakers seem to be on there.
From what i've heard most french choose Ice, but we got both alot of germans and french on Wind.

O

old.windforce

Bah Chodax gone

Need to elect a new pr0n king

C

Chrystina

oh well, Prydwen will be down for an hour, so I might as well check if the population on Wind has increased after xmas ... last time I ran in one direction for 5 minutes without seeing a mob, npc or player ... and crafting is the uber pain ...
anyway, I'll be on Wind again this afternoon ... Chrystina Lovelace is the name, Fighter & Armorcrafter the profession ... sounds familiar, doesn't it? :)

C

cHodAX

General opinion from players I have spoken to seems to be 'it is good but not as good as daoc'. That said though they are all enjoying playing something different for a while so it can't be too bad. At £15 I can afford to try it for a month and if it isn't for me I won't be that bothered at a small loss of cash. Personally I am waiting for Guild Wars, a freeplay PvP MMORPG. No more subs :clap:

Here....

C

cHodAX

Here is the blurb

Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates the tedium of those games. You can meet new friends in towns or outposts, form a party, and then go tackle a quest together. Your party always has its own unique copy of the quest map, so camping, kill-stealing, and long lines to complete quests are all things of the past. Within a quest you have unprecedented freedom and power to manipulate the world around you: your magic can build bridges and open up new pathways, or it can burn down forests and tear the ground asunder.
You don't have to spend countless hours on a leveling treadmill to get to the interesting parts of the game, because combat is designed to be strategically interesting and challenging right from the beginning. You don't have to spend hours running around the world to prepare for a quest, because Guild Wars allows you to instantly travel to the beginning of any quest that you've previously unlocked. You'll never spend days playing only to discover that choices you made early on have left you with a permanently uncompetitive character, because the unique skill system in Guild Wars allows infinite experimentation but doesn't allow bad decisions to ruin a character. And you'll never meet new players only to discover that you can't play with them or compete against them because their characters are on a different server than yours; in Guild Wars, all characters live in one seamless world.

Built for Competition

After learning the game and building up your first character, you may choose to test your skills in head-to-head competition or guild warfare. The game is designed to reward player skill and teamwork, not time spent playing, so you won't need to spend hundreds of hours leveling up your character to compete.

The game includes integrated support for guilds, with guild banners and halls, chat rooms and forums. Guilds can challenge other guilds to battle, compete for control of key parts of the world, and be ranked on a worldwide ladder.

Unique Streaming Technology

ArenaNet's unique streaming technology forever eliminates the concept of patching a game. You don't have to wait a month for the next big patch to experience new content. Instead, the game constantly and intelligently streams new content to your computer in the background while you play. The world can change continually. This allows us to build a much more dynamic game world than any that has existed before.

A

Arlone

General opinion from players I have spoken to seems to be 'it is good but not as good as daoc'. That said though they are all enjoying playing something different for a while so it can't be too bad. At £15 I can afford to try it for a month and if it isn't for me I won't be that bothered at a small loss of cash. Personally I am waiting for Guild Wars, a freeplay PvP MMORPG. No more subs :clap:

Here....

Personally, and to give you other people a few suggestions as to do next, I'm waiting for 2 games ...

Dark and Light
Found this one yesterday by "accident" (browsing mmorpg.com). Looks totally amazing. The trailer looks very good and since I spent all night reading about it I know they got a really nice PvP-system set up (dark vs. light ... good vs evil .. or the other way around hehe). Check out some screenies

Dragon Empires
Also looks amazing and I've been following this project since it started. A really cool PvP-system and upgraded crafting-system. Also this game has a dynamic economy and more. Very nice!

I would wait for Wow, and do it some ways, but the PvP-system really seems to suck. A zone for random PvP ... zZz. I want PvP to have a meaning - like Realm vs. realm, Good vs. evil or as Dragon Empires: Traders, bounty hunters and outlaws. And best of all you can choose to be trader in one kingdome, bounty hunter in another and outlaw in a third :)

Anyway, have a looksee!

O

old.Morchaoron

Originally posted by old.mattshanes

dont do it matt!!!

dont spend 2 years on another amateur joke!!

wait for WoW!

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by old.Morchaoron
dont do it matt!!!

dont spend 2 years on another amateur joke!!

wait for WoW!

Matt is coming to Horizons with me and Shaeffer, you can't overcome our mind control techniques :p

as for the amateur joke bit.... harsh tbh. ok it isn't everyones cup of tea but it will make a nice change from DAoC for a while and at £15 it won't break the bank.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Arlone
Personally, and to give you other people a few suggestions as to do next, I'm waiting for 2 games ...

Dark and Light
Found this one yesterday by "accident" (browsing mmorpg.com). Looks totally amazing. The trailer looks very good and since I spent all night reading about it I know they got a really nice PvP-system set up (dark vs. light ... good vs evil .. or the other way around hehe). Check out some screenies

Dragon Empires
Also looks amazing and I've been following this project since it started. A really cool PvP-system and upgraded crafting-system. Also this game has a dynamic economy and more. Very nice!

I would wait for Wow, and do it some ways, but the PvP-system really seems to suck. A zone for random PvP ... zZz. I want PvP to have a meaning - like Realm vs. realm, Good vs. evil or as Dragon Empires: Traders, bounty hunters and outlaws. And best of all you can choose to be trader in one kingdome, bounty hunter in another and outlaw in a third :)

Anyway, have a looksee!

Been following the progress of Dragon Empires for a long time myself, it is looking good but still some way off it seems. I will check Dark and Light out soon, for me Darkfall and WoW look like real contenders although I do worry about the horrible WoW graphics.

C

cHodAX

Dark and Light is just beautiful looking :D If they ship with graphics like the ones screenshotted it will be worth a look for the scenery alone :)

skullsandbones.jpg

O

old.Downanael

Dark and Light is just beautiful looking :D If they ship with graphics like the ones screenshotted it will be worth a look for the scenery alone :)

skullsandbones.jpg

and only reguires +2000 mhz with 2 gig's of ram and Geforce 6 :D

J

Jilgar Kigob

Originally posted by old.Downanael
and only reguires +2000 mhz with 2 gig's of ram and Geforce 6

Good then im cool!

BTW what im waiting for atm is Lineage 2 check it out at www.lineage2.com
a work of "Lord British" himself.
Lineage got 2 miljon active subscriptions in Asia.
Cant be that bad.

S

skadad

closer to 1.3million subscribers.. but lineage2 looks great

I

Indiana Jones

appearantly dark and light is huge !!!
it would take you one year from what i heard to get from one side to the other side of the land, on foot that is.
Thats why they have cable carts, balloons,...

C

cHodAX

Yep, DnL is going to have some epic landscapes. If they can get everything else right they have a surefire winner. I thought I would post a few testamonials for the alpha testers.

--------------------

I think there are no words to describe this world.
It's a great, big world. You can't imagine how big it is!
This landscape and the mountains.... *sigh*
You can walk over hours and won't see anything you've seen before. See jungle, deserts, dense forests, beach.... you can travel with balons, boats, cable railway.... you always want to know what's behind this other mountain! You just stop to watch the sunrise.....
The sunrise! I think it's better than in real life!
Just fly with this balons over the sea into the rising sun

K. (Germany)

-------------------------

I am simply blown away by this engine.
Technically, it is just amazing how far you can see from the top of a mountain, and how almost everything has a dynamic shadow.

When, from a peak, you can see a forest below and the village in the distance, it gives you a big sense of the immensity of the world -- and we get to test only a small part of it.

The forests are dense -- so dense that sometimes there's so many trees you can't see through.

This has a tradeoff -- the framerate are sometimes low, so you need a good config to get the most of the engine -- though it works on lower configs too.

M. (France)

------------------------

Plain and simple I like the engine. Lag non-exists, an I am playing in the states. The images are crystal, works well with my Raedeon .Sound, also crystal haven't heard any funky sounds. There were some network problems at the first release of the online version. But, now the Network seems to be running smoothly. So far , GREAT for the beginning of the online version. Can't wait to see the character graphics improve and also see what other surprises the devs have in store for us in the game .Way to go DnL, keep up the good work. Love that you are now working with details more. Notice the little added features, making the world more complex . Really can't wait to see more and participate with the environment with spells, monsters, etc. Glad to be able to be a part of the development in a small way.

***5 stars*** Thumbs up

E. (United States)

S

SevenSins

Originally posted by Jilgar Kigob
Good then im cool!

BTW what im waiting for atm is Lineage 2 check it out at www.lineage2.com
a work of "Lord British" himself.
Lineage got 2 miljon active subscriptions in Asia.
Cant be that bad.

Played Korean L2 for 2 months.

If you don't like PvE, don't play this game, it takes the same time to get level 20 there as level 50 in DAoC.

Classes are unbalanced while they all get sent into heaving upon choosing.

For example warriors are utter shite, but they're supposed to be the god damage dealers which is uber shit.

Paladin and Ranger are "op" in L2, they level like insane maniacs, with a warrior you need a cleric to level "decently", where in lineage2 you don't get bonusses for grouping your exp gets cut in half.

Could go on for hours about this, it's so PvE orientated with a little bit of PvP (I mean sure, it's all out, but to actually get to a decent PvP rank, and there being 1001 penaltys for actually PvP'ng people, it's shit).

Graphics are great, monsters well done, AI is a-ok, just the leveling threadmill hasn't changed 1 single bit from lineage 1, where a 2d MMORPG doesn't hurt your eyes as much as a 3d mmorpg, as in fun value, we've all seen it sooner or later, and it better be sooner otherwise the fun dies faster.

/rant on lineage 2 off, do you still want to play it? :p

C

cHodAX

More....

Your first impression is the Size followed by fantastic details of the landscape.

From beautiful flowers too small to notice unless you stop to look for them.
Up to the moons moving through the sky dropping behind a far mountain top.

The next is the distance that you can see from the top of mountains. The lights of cities in the distance at night. The view from a balloon when travelling.

Enjoy a thunderstorm with rain and lightning. Thunder that rumbles and echoes on a dark night alone in a cemetary.
You will be checking behind you when sitting at your computer.
You will expect Vampires or Werewolves or the undead to pop up from behind the tombs any minute.
Wonderfully done.

And this is just the beta. The final game will be awesome.

w. (Canada)

----------------------------

Dark and Light, a game of this size has never been done before. It is just SOOOOO huge, we as first beta testers get only a small piece of land to playon... when you look at the whole map, only like 5% of it is playable. but those 5% would take you weeks none stop play to go and "discover" the map. The Imense size of the game, and the sheer beuty of sound and vision are breathtaking, its like waking up into a dream world, where the skys are blue, the birds are singing, and you can actually hear the wind!-- or waking up to a nightmare, with Thunder, Lighting *which lights up the corpses of the dead Dodos in middle of the desert* and rain so thick its hard to see... This is indeed the next generation of gaming.

K. (United States)

----------------------------

Seen it ? Played it ? Nothing new he ? Wrong !
I have seen many games and played almost every MMORPG there is. Spend hours and hours ingame running around killing and leveling......What do i recall of the scenery ? Well...eeh.....you have...eeh........
Actually, there is nothing to recall. But every minute i have been in DnL i CAN remember !
The first time i took a balloon, the first time i entered a blizzard, the first time i saw the sunray's in the forrest and above all, the first time i stood on top of a mountain and looked around on top of the world. This is probally the closest experience i can have next to a real climb on top of a mountain !
Just fill this world with monsters and more people and i will call it my home for the next years to come. If there would be one word to describe the world it would be: AWESOME !

G. (Netherlands)

S

sugah

All i can is this game is franchised out to a company called game network. They ran another game called the legend of mir. The game was amasing but there customer service makes goa's look like an amasing service. They took 4 months to reply to emails and often didn't bother replying. They had a forum where you basically got banned for flamming or question the gamemasters and ppl who ran the game. After my expierance with this company i will never again play a game ran by them.

Users who are viewing this thread