Odd one - 4870x2 artifacting.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Got a 4870x2 which I'm working with, it has a strange issue that will more than likely just end in an RMA, but thought I'd run the problem past some other users in case it's not uncommon.

OpenGL its absolutely fine, runs like the beast it is and doesn't bad an eyelid.
After a quick session of FarCry2, it artifacted heavily and as a result now does the same in GRiD and Brothers in Arms. Crysis however seems fine?
Drivers reinstalled, card not overclocked or overheating. Anyone come across that before?

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Running Vista 64 Kryt? I hear the 4870x2's are having issues with Farcry 2 and Vista64, do you still get the problem if you run GRiD before Farcry2?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Looks odd, I'd say it's software issues as it's absolutely fine in FEAR, Quake 4, Prey and even Crysis yet Farcry 2, GRiD are both absolutely unplayable due to artifacting. The issue remains after restart too so order of playing doesn't make any difference.

Gonna RMA it anyway I think, but before doing so will stick it in my own box to see how it goes. Just struggling to understand why some games would be ok but others not, even after a restart, with drivers being changed and fully cleansed beforehand. Is strange, but will hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Vae

Resident Freddy
It means to get weird graphics distortions on screen where things aren't rendering/displaying correctly e.g. in a 3d game you might see what looks like a large spike across the screen because a certain item hasn't displayed correctly or there might be what looks like a odd wall which shouldn't be there because it is an extension of something else on screen that hasn't rendered correctly.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Looks odd, I'd say it's software issues as it's absolutely fine in FEAR, Quake 4, Prey and even Crysis yet Farcry 2, GRiD are both absolutely unplayable due to artifacting. The issue remains after restart too so order of playing doesn't make any difference.

Gonna RMA it anyway I think, but before doing so will stick it in my own box to see how it goes. Just struggling to understand why some games would be ok but others not, even after a restart, with drivers being changed and fully cleansed beforehand. Is strange, but will hopefully get to the bottom of it.

As some one touched on it recently let me just say that the drivers for the high end Ati's and Nvidia's are utter shit and seem to have no end of problems with recent games.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
My card is nvidia 7800GT, vista 64 bit.

I get no artifacts in HL2, Red Orchestra, Warcraft 3. Since the last couple of driver updates I now get glitches in Oblivion, Company Of Heroes, BF2 :(

In Company Of Heroes the glitches start from the video intros like the "nvidia" video :eek7:

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I'm having issues with my 4850. Artifacts all over the shop.
Under clocking the thing and whacking up all my fans helps but after an hour or so's gaming, sometimes less I get the damn VPU recover. It's temps never go above 70 degrees even overclocked which from other benchmarks of the card is about 20 degrees less than what it can cope with just fine.
Trouble is I specifically got a crossfire mobo so if it's a software thing and ATI don't fix it soon I will have to RMA the card AND motherboard and go back to nVidia whom I've been with for years.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Lesser of two evils, WPKenny? Both are fairly satanic in my eyes currently :D

Anyway, to the original issue, we tried it in both my rigs and it was absolutely fine - slapped it back in the brothers box, gave it a fresh installation of Vista x64 and the latest drivers and it's back to it's former working glory again. Something software-wise was playing foul with the card or drivers, and next to no way of finding out what.

I'll still rate ATI's drivers over nVidia's anyway currently, but not by much. Perhaps Creative Labs have taken over development for both sets of drivers ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom