Odd Monitor Issue

throdgrain

FH is my second home
OK here's a wierd one. (I'm asking a lot of questions lately arn't I?)

My monitor, a Viewsonic VX922, works fine when you turn on the PC. It works as the bios screen is shown, it works as the windows loading screen is displayed.

Then, just as the "welcome to XP" music is played, it turns off. The on/off switch green light just flicks on and off. There's nothing I can do, I have to turn off the PC. Then turn off the monitor, then restart the PC, and wait for the music again, then turn on the PC. Then it works fine!

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Did it work before and just suddenly stop working? Does it work in safe mode?

Sounds like windows video settings are on something not supported by the monitor.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I note that my Dell 24" goes into sleep mode just before the login screen comes one, both in Vista Ultimate and with XP, but it always recovers. Perhaps it's some strange power-saving thing?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yeah it just suddenly stopped working, no change I can think of.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmm. you could check if windows update has downloaded some driver update for your monitor perhaps. I have a few Dell 2407 specific ones. Might be in there somewhere, as sometimes the doze updater isn't very bright.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I did download an update for windows, but it was since this thing started happening, in the hope it would fix it, but it didnt. it does sound like something in windows that the monitor doesnt like, as has been said, but its set to 72hz and at normal resolution, and there's nothing else, so I dont really get it.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
create a separate USER account on the pc and logon as that, i bet it doesn't fuck up.

windows profile on your account is b0rked i reckon......

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Have you tried that several times? Am I reading you right - the only way you can get it to work is if you switch on the computer with the monitor switched *off* then switch on the monitor when windows is up and running? If you've tried this several times and it's definitely the way it's going down, I expect that's actually a faulty monitor.

These things have a 3 year warranty, I'd recommend trying to arrange a replacement - they've got a great service, send you a new one and take the old when they drop it off. If you do go this route, word of warning - keep the two back panels that hide the cables, your replacement monitor will very likely not have them - mine didn't :\

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
I had a similiar problem - in my case it was a faulty monitor (old one just starting to give up the ghost). It would boot ok, then as soon as it got to the part where it loaded up windows properly the screen would shrink then turn itself off.

Not to say that its the same prob as youve got, but its a possibility.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
This is getting worse :(

To explain better, it's when it changes from one program to another. So, when XP shows the loading screen, it's ok, then as soon as the main windows screen, i.e. the desktop shows, it cant change from one thing to another. The green light built into the power switch just flashes - it doesn't go yellow like it was turned off, it just carries on flashing green. Tonight it was happening when I started a game, the change in program again, from desktop to CSS, you know how on a CRT monitor it would maybe click when you first did that? Well, with this it was just the green light flashing.

I've reinstalled the viewsonic drivers, and it seems a little better. Now CSS starts and the monitor doesn't turn off when starting XP -well, I've only tried it once, but so far so good :p - but still the power switch flashes a couple of times, as if the monitor is going off then coming back on.

It's a bummer I dont want to buy a new monitor, I've got my eye on a nice Remington 870 in a shop near here ... :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Contact viewsonic and get it replaced man - they'll send a new one to your door and you just give them the old one.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I've always said Viewsonic screens were shit, and I'll stand by it ;) But, I've had first hand experience of their RMA process, and as Nath says they're rather good about it. That means quite a lot to me.

But, nice and simply have you tried dropping the "refresh rate" to 60hz? Some LCD's throw a bit of a paddy using anything but.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I thought it was meant to be 72? In fairness I've had this monitor for a few years I think, and it's worked fine, I think it's a bit hard to say they are shit.

This morning I've just got up and turned it on, and it started ok, so maybe it's fixed, I don't feel massively confident though.

Thing is Nath, I dont have any reciept details, I can't even remember when I bought it!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Dagnammit you're a star, at least I know when I got it now :D

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Aside from anything else, all that doesn't really matter. When I got mine replaced I could barely even remember when I got it, and I didn't buy it myself, it was a bonus from work. Told the warranty people roughly when it was and that was fine :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ok well further investigation convinces me it's not the monitor anyway.

The other day I reinstalled the monitor drivers, and created a test account at the same time. Since then it's worked fine, so I assumed it was the monitor drivers. However today I put a password on the test account (just fucking about you know), and bang problem is back. I've taken the password off the test account, and all is back to normal, even though I dont even use the test account. Which suggests it's a windows problem to me.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
ok that wasnt the answer either. Further trials and tribulations have revealed it was ....

THE CABLE

I've messed about wirth everything, including changing the video card. It was driving me mad. Then I changed the cable, and it's fixed. Also into the bargain I've started using the digital cable (ahem) instead of the regular one. My friends tell how I'm stupid because I've been missing out on a much better picture although I have to report it's almost exactly the same as far as I can see.

Never mind. It's now reliably fixed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom