Odd Computer probs.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Hi. I've had a problem with my computer for over a week now and am completely out of ideas.
My Comp is in permanent stand-by :( I turn it on and the fans start going, and possibly the HDD starts whirring, but nowt else.

I would have thought it was a graphics card/AGP problem, but i tried a different graphics card and nothing changed. To be safe, i went to PC world, bought a new power supply, tried it in a completely different machine and got the same problem.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
No beeps or anything at power on?

RedVenom

Banned
Since you have a local PC World, you could always enlist their assistance rather than risk wrecking it yourself.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Remove the RAM (all of it) & try booting....do you get a startup screen ?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
babs said:
No beeps or anything at power on?

Nope.

smurkin said:
Remove the RAM (all of it) & try booting....do you get a startup screen ?

I'll have a go when i get home!

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Took out all the ram and no change, still only half boots but with beeps.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Do you see anything on the screen at all?

Mr.Monkey

Fledgling Freddie
There are a few things it could be, and you have done the right things so far.
It is highly likely to be one of two things:
The cpu (as mentioned) may have died. This would cause nothing to appear on your screen.
Or your motherboard may be cacked.

The best way to find out is to check your MB's manufacturers website for a manual. I know that EPOX boards will not even reach the post screen without a cpu, but some others will.
This will probably give you a better idea of whether it is your MB or cpu that has died.

imo it is likely to be a dead MB, as they tend (in my experience) to be more fragile than CPUs (which seem to take alot of punishment before falling over). Least likely is RAM, as most MBs should power up happily with broken ram.

edit - The manual will also tell you how to give the beeps meaning.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Mr.Monkey said:
imo it is likely to be a dead MB, as they tend (in my experience) to be more fragile than CPUs (which seem to take alot of punishment before falling over). Least likely is RAM, as most MBs should power up happily with broken ram.

You were right, it was a dead MB & HDD. Thanks :D

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
RAM can totally stop any sort of post if its faulty...ie totallty dead pc including / excluding fans (there may or not be beeps)...just beware is all I'm saying, if you took out the ram and now your getting a screen & beeps (and you werent previously)...dont automatically assume its the mobo.... I had the same..bought new RAM & 3 years on, I'm still using the same mobo...

/edit...to do the test you should really remove the disks...all pci cards (in fact everything) & have only the the agp graphics card & monitor +/- the ram...I believe this is a standard engineers test of the system...break it down into the most basic parts & build it up till it breaks...plz correct me if I'm wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom