Games Oblivion.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Decided to start a proper run of Oblivion(found the game of the year edition), just to spend some time to relax, steal stuff, kill people...you know, usual off-time :p

The GOTY ofcourse has most essential stuff, but any mods that would be essential, or is it "good enough to play" with just the basics?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
There was one rathe large gaping hole in the levelling system in my view which completely ruined the game for me when I found it out. I didn't bother trying to find a mod but if you can find a highly recommended one, I'd do it if I were you...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What kind? Too easy?

I guess i should pick up some essential mods like that, without changing the game.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
They had the "level scaling" system, which basically means that whatever you do, you´ll always run into opponents of your level (so you could finish the game at level 1 if you decide to never level up :rolleyes:). Was rather pointless to level. Playing a melee character can be frustrating, because as soon as you´re fighting more than one opponent at a time, you can never say who you´re aiming at.
But the game is very nice, good atmosphere and a huge and living world. You can manipulate almost any object in the world.
Tip: play the Assassins guild quest! They´re very well done.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Will be my path anyway, ranger-sneaky style always fun ;)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
yeh the level scaling thing was kinda stupid, meant if you found a tough spot, you couldnt go away, level up / learn new tricks and come back as then the mob would be even harder!

a mod to fix that would be real nice hehe

playing as a vampire was also very entertaining :)

Lethul

FH is my second home
Just as the other have suggested I would suggest finding a mod for the leveling :p With that said I still loved the game :)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
oh.. and to save you a lot of frustration:
do some research on how to save your key settings! If you change the settings, they will turn back to deafult when you log out. And since this game was a 1-1 console conversion, the settings are pretty retarded.
At least that was the case when I played it.. maybe they fixed that in the meantime.

Helme

Resident Freddy
They had the "level scaling" system, which basically means that whatever you do, you´ll always run into opponents of your level (so you could finish the game at level 1 if you decide to never level up :rolleyes:). Was rather pointless to level. Playing a melee character can be frustrating, because as soon as you´re fighting more than one opponent at a time, you can never say who you´re aiming at.
But the game is very nice, good atmosphere and a huge and living world. You can manipulate almost any object in the world.
Tip: play the Assassins guild quest! They´re very well done.

Not only that, but the game was actually easier to finish at level 1 because Bethesda's design is pretty much higher level? more health! which means you'll end up whacking a mob for 10 minutes with 0 challenge, just to drain it's health.

As for mods, I'd say that Deadly Reflexes and FCOM(?) are a must, to be honest I'd avoid the original game altogether if I could, either play the expansion or download Nehrim - a fan made total conversion that plays better than the original game in terms of balance, and in terms of story it shits all over the original(then again that isn't hard).

edit: to the above, it never saves ANY settings unless it closes cleanly - which doesn't like much of a problem except that GameBryo seems to have a 80% chance or so to crash on exit, to save any settings be it graphic, sound or controls open the console(~) and type saveini - that should fix it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, no levelscaling mods out there.

Did grab a realistic leveling mod(bit slower at that too), scaling rewards and a hefty 130mb of unofficial patches ;)

Should be enough without making it too different.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Oh forgot, get an UI mod because the default one is a console piece of shit.

Oscurus Oblivion Overhaul is a levelscaling mod that makes the game closer to Morrowind, basically if you enter a cave it won't scale to your level automatically. It'll scale to a certain levelrange, and that levelrange might be way out of reach for you so you'll have to return, or alternatively fight really hard fights for really good rewards.

I think it's much preferable to the standard do a cave, kill mobs that are no challenge or health sponges, get shitty item scaled to your level.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I really enjoyed Oblivion - I just wish they had hired one or two more voice actors.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh forgot, get an UI mod because the default one is a console piece of shit.

Oscurus Oblivion Overhaul is a levelscaling mod that makes the game closer to Morrowind, basically if you enter a cave it won't scale to your level automatically. It'll scale to a certain levelrange, and that levelrange might be way out of reach for you so you'll have to return, or alternatively fight really hard fights for really good rewards.

I think it's much preferable to the standard do a cave, kill mobs that are no challenge or health sponges, get shitty item scaled to your level.

Thanks. Got an UI mod too, Darn is a classic choice ;)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Most rate Morrowind as the better game. There is a new mod "Morrowind 2011" which brings it up to date in a number of ways.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i read that they are working on the next installment in that world anyone heard anything? (though the rumor suggested it could be a Daggerfall remake)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
aaah, forgot how satisfying bow&arrow can be :p

Yeah Oblivion 2 should be on the way and i predict with my crystal ball, that fallout 4 will come in....2012....near 23.12 ;)

Nate

FH is my second home
I recently had a crack at this again, found it really good fun. I still have my old saves from when I first had a go so nice to bring back some memories and have the old guy running around smacking ten tonnes of shit out of any mother fucker that tries to cross my demon face melting arse.

Ten essential Oblivion mods | PC Gamer

I found this article very useful for acquiring the best mods out there, it may be a little outdated but it still serves for some great mods. I just haven't been able to get all of them yet(I have a shit connection and some of them are very large files), the ones I have got so far have all worked perfectly and enhanced the game tremendously.

The Unique Landscapes one is pretty cool, it's a collection of modders that have been brought together to bring their own unique look in the world in loads of different areas. None of them were allowed to compare notes(something along those lines anyway) so they are all unique. I couldn't find one big download for all of them though so was a bit of a fiddle to get them all.

Midas Spells is a pretty cool one too, adds a lot of new spells which are all a bit more imaginative then the ones in the game normally. I couldn't get out of the shapeshift ones though so wouldn't suggest using them without saving first(they silence when you use them). You can get spells that oneshot pretty much anything, makes the game a breeze if you're finding one part a bit boring. The Nuke spell is one of my favourites :D

Darnified UI makes everything easier to control and the game feels much more modern with it, I definitely recommend getting this one.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yep, that list has "deadly reflex" in it, which is a must. I wouldn't play Oblivion without that mod installed, vastly improves the combat in the game.

I deleted my install a while back, hope I've still got my saves somewhere, I had an awesome assassin character, doing all the assassins guild side missions. I hardly did the main story at all.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Yep, that list has "deadly reflex" in it, which is a must. I wouldn't play Oblivion without that mod installed, vastly improves the combat in the game.

I deleted my install a while back, hope I've still got my saves somewhere, I had an awesome assassin character, doing all the assassins guild side missions. I hardly did the main story at all.

I got inspired to start Oblivion again, just have to find that damn disc :p

So: Nehrim, does it stack with for example Deadly Reflexes or should I play Nehrim on it's own?

Lethul

FH is my second home
I got inspired to start Oblivion again, just have to find that damn disc :p

So: Nehrim, does it stack with for example Deadly Reflexes or should I play Nehrim on it's own?

And is max sneak still grossly overpowered or can I play a sneak char without feeling like I'm cheating?

Helme

Resident Freddy
There's a Deadly Reflex for Nehrim, most other mods won't work though. It's pretty much a stand alone game that has nothing in common with Oblivion except that it uses the same art assets & engine.

Sneak is fairly broken still, but Nehrim actually has challenging encounters so you won't feel as cheap using it.

Lethul

FH is my second home
There's a Deadly Reflex for Nehrim, most other mods won't work though. It's pretty much a stand alone game that has nothing in common with Oblivion except that it uses the same art assets & engine.

Sneak is fairly broken still, but Nehrim actually has challenging encounters so you won't feel as cheap using it.

So, should I play Nehrim vanilla or do you suggest any mods?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
meeeh!
How the fuck do I save the settings?
Console and "saveini" doesn´t work for some reason.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Regular settings should stick if you quit without a crash(there's a mod for crashing too, helps a ton).

DarnUI needs to be configured via the ini file(simple enough, reads ingame in the darn menu bottom).

Sneak, well, i'm still level 1 after 10 hours so, can't say ;)

The world REALLY doesn't revolve around your character with OOO.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I still have Morrowind and Oblivion. You guys saying it's worth adding the mods to them?

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I still have Morrowind and Oblivion. You guys saying it's worth adding the mods to them?

Oblivion isn't worth playing without some mods tbh. Even if its just the leveling mod, which adds in weaker/stronger monsters (In vanilla game, everything levels with you, so there is no increase in difficulty).

There was a megamod collection called Panhcrd's or something, about 16gigs worth of mods and fixes, turned it into a completely different/better game. Not sure if you can get it anywhere now though; he released it privately and would only distribute it to you if you asked him nicely :) The torrent took me a good few weeks to download though, so its not a quick fix thing.

OOO is very good as a smaller mod collection, adds all the essentials in and its pretty configurable.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
lol I cant! I've already packed the games away for my move :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom