Oblivion :D

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
because im an Imperial the only creature that can do any serious harm to me at lvl 26 is Lynch's with there Staff's, all other creatures haven't been a problem since lvl 15 or so. But my invisiablity spell and a Goldbrand to the back of them seem to do the job.

Bit miffed that you can't summon more than one creature at a time unlike in Morrowind where u could have an army of summoned creatures.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I'm playing it still more or less exclusively from anything else.

Only level 8, but I'm an apprentice in the MG, just joined the FG and I'm Listener in the DB.

Still having fun just wandering about doing random quests atm, and no, I'm not touching the MQ at all atm.

taB

Part of the furniture
Completed Dark Brotherhood, Mages & Arena now. Just working through the first few fighters' guild quests. I'm at level 25, even the first few quests the guys are wearing Daedric or Glass armour! Still it all goes in the bank :) Was pleased that I didn't finish the Dark Brotherhood till recently as the Blade of Woe is seriously powerful! A previous character had it at an earlier level & it was nowhere near as good.

Plightstar, I'm sure there'll be a mod to change the number of summonable creatures if you wanted. Anyone know if you can have more than one henchman at a time (i.e. a DB guy, Arena fan, etc..)? Was wanting to know if I could raise a little army at the end (who'd admittedly all pretty much die instantly but hey).

Ben.

Sar

Part of the furniture
There's various companion mods available, but afaik you can't summon more than 1 creature at a time.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Looks like you can, as it happens. Zomg.

Edit - incidentally, a friend of mine who lives with a guy that bought a 360 purely for Oblivion complained to me earlier that the view distance for the 360 version was absolute shit. Given that my shitty computer can run it not badly (having not yet been able to try it on my main), and given how AWESOME the distant lands setting makes the game, I'd just like to take this opportunity to, you know, laugh at you poor, unfortunate savages.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, your post (and its note about various companion (which I took to mean non-summoned henchmen (nested brackets yayy)) mods) kind of implied you thought it couldn't be modded. Also, apparently you don't even technically need mods, just a console command - as that link notes.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I have the 360 version and theres nothing wrong with the draw distance, sometimes you get a bit of a pop up with creatures in the distance, usually when you are on horse back.

Sar

Part of the furniture
/smacks Louster with the literacy bat of doom

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Lou, what's the spec of your "shitty" computer and how not bad does it run?

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
It's a 2.7 celeron, radeon 9800 pro, gig of 2700 ram (I think), so I guess it depends on your definition of 'shitty' - I must've bought it at least 4 years ago now though, possibly 5. It runs at mostly midish settings and full view distance (as this makes a huge difference) just fine. Generally no particular slowdowns except when loading wilderness bits while running around.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I may have to get me a copy then, I'm on the same except a 2.8HT P4 instead of a celery. Cheers for that.

Sar

Part of the furniture
well I'm on the following system:

AMD 64 3500+
1Gb PC3200 Ram
Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb)

It runs at about 30fps outside, and 60-100 inside, with Bloom enabled at 1024*768 with no AA and no AF. 16*AF drops it by about 10fps, but it does look a lot sharper.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
TdC said:
nice :)

i dip into it now and again with my assasin/thief/archer class but i think i have bugged the mages guild quest (the joining part) in one of the towns i had to find a book or something, which i gave to the guiild town leader, he put it in a chest to give to the mages guild, i then stole it. problem is the quest doesnt seem to want to move on, he wont give me the recomendation. started a new game with a mage type but the UI is so crap that i gave up. having to change your spell icon to use different spells is just stupid, i am hoping that someone mods it so you can have a quick bar like in an mmo but not hopefull.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yarr. the UI is the pits regarding spell swapping tbh. they should have put a widget in place like the weapons one imo, or used the same, and us players could have done something like
  • 1- weap 1
  • 2- weap 2
  • 3- offence spell 1
  • 4- offence spell 2
  • 5- heal

or somesuch :/

taB

Part of the furniture
I presume you two are using an xbox, cos it's really easy on the PC version. 1 & 2 are my weapons. 3 to 9 are spells. Admittedly you only get a max of nine choices but it's better than nowt, I rarely need to open my spellbook unless I make an upgraded version of a current spell.

Oh btw: I am still playing, bout one night a week at the moment. Still enjoying it but not far from the endgame I would think, spent last couple of sessions closing gates to get a +50 Mana orb for all 6 bits of daedric armour. Makes a nice difference to effectively double my magic points. Oh and most of Theives' guild to do still as well.

Ben.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
nope, using a pc, you still have to selct the spell then press cast, then select a new spell press cast etc, crappy system. would much rather have a visual quick bar

taB

Part of the furniture
It's only 2 key presses - the number then the cast button. tbh I don't find it too much of a fag.

for me: 4=summon daedroth - 2 mins
8=chameleon - 30 secs
etc..

Admittedly it's not visual but there's only nine slots so my memory can (mostly) cope.

Ben.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Raven said:
nice :)

i dip into it now and again with my assasin/thief/archer class but i think i have bugged the mages guild quest (the joining part) in one of the towns i had to find a book or something, which i gave to the guiild town leader, he put it in a chest to give to the mages guild, i then stole it. problem is the quest doesnt seem to want to move on, he wont give me the recomendation.

That one you can do it either way:

1) Give the book to the mages guild guy, get the recommendation then steal it back off him (which is tricky and could get you booted out). I would recommend the way I did it:

2) Give it to the woman, and follow her mini-quest through to the end where you have to go back to cloud top with a shock spell to get a new bolt spell. Steal it back off her once you've done that (easy as she keeps it in a chest in her tavern room, which she's not in most of the day) and give it to the mages guild leader and get your recommendation that way.

You may need to leave it 24 hours before asking for your recommendation from the mages guild guy though, so leave it in his possession at least that long whichever method you choose before asking for his recommendation!

Sar

Part of the furniture
And yes, I'm still dipping in and out of it regularly too.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
taB said:
It's only 2 key presses - the number then the cast button. tbh I don't find it too much of a fag.

for me: 4=summon daedroth - 2 mins
8=chameleon - 30 secs
etc..

Admittedly it's not visual but there's only nine slots so my memory can (mostly) cope.

Ben.
well i am so used to the daoc way of casting spells after 3-4 years its really hard to change :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sar said:
That one you can do it either way:

1) Give the book to the mages guild guy, get the recommendation then steal it back off him (which is tricky and could get you booted out). I would recommend the way I did it:

2) Give it to the woman, and follow her mini-quest through to the end where you have to go back to cloud top with a shock spell to get a new bolt spell. Steal it back off her once you've done that (easy as she keeps it in a chest in her tavern room, which she's not in most of the day) and give it to the mages guild leader and get your recommendation that way.

You may need to leave it 24 hours before asking for your recommendation from the mages guild guy though, so leave it in his possession at least that long whichever method you choose before asking for his recommendation!

cheers :)

taB

Part of the furniture
Fair enough Raven :)

I was used to the morrowind method :eek7: of selecting cast spell seperately to fighting, i.e. can't block while casting etc..

It's an improvement on that!

Ben.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
there is some cool stuff on that site!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom