nVidia Fermi

Kryten

Old Cow.
NV are really slipping - and I fear they'll go the way of 3DFX, ironically, should they continue down this path.

HEXUS.net - News :: Leaked slides expose NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 "Fermi" GPU : Page - 1/1

They're about to start shipping what is effectively the worlds worst GPU - yes it might be the fastest, but it's also stupidly warm, stupidly large, stupidly hungry and most people will put money on it being stupidly overpriced compared to something that might be 10% slower perhaps yet won't turn your PC into a microwave oven and stew the other components.

I really do worry for NV.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I don't doubt i'll be fast but just not fast enough considering that it is so far behind ATI in the cycle, it could get even worse if ATI follow up Fermi with a revision of the 5000 range.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
With all of that I suspect they'll be charging the earth and making no profit. Last I heard the yeilds were still abysmal!

Double the price for 15-20% extra performance, when most games already run fine, I don't think so!

Embattle

FH is my second home
Numbers I heard for increased performance was no more than 5-10%.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Will be interesting in real-world terms. Also with the thermal and power envelopes involved I don't think overclocking will be on many people's agendas to squeeze more juice from them.

As I mentioned to Luap on facebook, I suspect ION might be the only thing keeping nVidia afloat unless they sort themselves out.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm guessing the drivers are going to be pure unadulterated bat shite and all, judging by their recent efforts.

Plus 300W power draw? Are they taking the piss? My entire PC, with an overclocked Phenom X2, 8Gb of RAM and a 5850 1Gb, along with 3 hard drives and a few USB devices, are all running happily off a 400W Corsair PSU. Are nVIDIA honestly telling me that I need another one just for their silly graphics card?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
seems they going thru the gerforce 5 phase, when ati had the better cards with the radeon 9600, 9700 and 9800 cards.stpid not to go ati atm

Kryten

Old Cow.
quite right. I think they're under the impression that people will happily bend over for them for brand loyalty reasons and what not.

I'm honestly starting to suspect they're bought out a major PSU supplier (that'll be a news article to make me laugh, Seasonic purchased by nVidia) hence the hike in power consumption ;)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Yet there are still nvidia fanboys! Guess that's the nature of fanboys, I generally just use whatever is more practical!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
seems they going thru the gerforce 5 phase, when ati had the better cards with the radeon 9600, 9700 and 9800 cards.stpid not to go ati atm

very rarely do i have problems with my nvidia cards, i do however seem to have a really bad luck when it comes to ATI.

out of the 10 or so ATI cards i've owned, only 2 or 3 actually worked like they should, or at all...

tho looking at this i might have to give them a go again when its time for an upgrade.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
never had prob with nvidia card as well from tnt2-gf1-gf4 but after that i had the ace ati 9600pro and 98000 aiw, then got back to nvidia when ati took dive on the drivers front now on 280gtx but if i ever feel the need to upgrade it will be to an ati card probably

anyways its not a question of reliability its a question of using bs to rip us off, all the hard ware manufacterers do it at some point

Yaka

Part of the furniture
say hello to him for us nextime you see him, tbh wish alot of the old peeps still used these forums

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
With regards to Kryten's 3DFX remark...

968159803.jpg

20040929003.jpg

The voodoo5 6000? Bigger and more power hungry isn't always a good idea when it comes to making money. This card and the Voodoo 5 series all but bankrupted 3DFX.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Indeed. And size wise, modern graphics card's aren't too different either. (although thats not just NV obviously)

I do however wonder if an external power source would actually be better than draining the internal PSU of a PC. 300W power requirement is just absolutely silly. I think perhaps it should look in a different direction regarding power - maybe a low power GPU just to tick things over with Vista Aero/7 and 2D apps, then the power kicks in only when required - again something that may also be good for ATI too as idle draw is still quite high.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Basically overall it is faster but costs more, runs hotter, uses more power and makes more noise than the 5870.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye. Lots of those reviews are really funnily different - some tilt in ATI's favour quite seriously, others in NV's favour.

Hexus is probably the best one - I wonder how much NV are paying them ;) - really can't see how any sane minded person can recommend something that runs at 93ºC as standard and chunks that much power.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I still think you would have to be certifiable not to buy ATI currently!

I hope Nvidia turn things around soon, or Intel get their act together and release their graphics card, as the prices are creeping up again, and competition is good to reverse that!

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
With regards to Kryten's 3DFX remark...

968159803.jpg

20040929003.jpg

The voodoo5 6000? Bigger and more power hungry isn't always a good idea when it comes to making money. This card and the Voodoo 5 series all but bankrupted 3DFX.

Seen that one before, and holy crap its huge. Especially for its time, when chassis werent as large as they are today. Infact i were about to upgrade to one of those from my old Voodoo3, maaany many years ago but i had no clue that they were that big and now that i see it, would have no chance of fitting into the old chassi.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That light blue bar is fucking MASSIVELY bigger than the slightly darker blue bar, I can't be bothered to read the numbers and work out what it all means but it must be something special!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
wow, I'm going to redo all my work reports to reflect that scale! FINALLY I will get the management attention I so rightfully deserve!

rynnor

Rockhound
Lol - less than a 0.4% increase - pretty pathetic :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom