NTL Digital Cable Modem Un-Capping Petition

O

old.JafferAB

I have started a petition against NTL to give Digital Cable Modems users the full potential of the NTL Digital Cable modem service.

As many of you may know, the NTL Digital cable modem service is capable of 24mbps (megabits per second). Currently they are only giving out 512kbps (kilobits per second). This is approx 1 44th of the maximum speed.

If you want your Cable modem uncapped, or just want to help others get maximum speed, i urge you to sign this petition, and to give it to all UK residents who you know.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ntlcable/petition.html

Thank you

O

old.Jas

WTF? Is this a pisstake?

You only get 512k because thats all you pay for. My ADSL modem supports 8mb, but I only get 512k because thats all I pay for. Do you understand the backbone costs if NTL ramped up all thier user's speeds to 24mb? I can assure you it would take thier network down.

Go away and get a clue

O

old.JafferAB

o0 : if they wanted ot keep the speeds at 512kbps then why are they advertising digital cable as "faster" than analog cable?

and im not saying put it up to the TOP speed, just 6mbits. They can take this surely. By the time most people realise what 6mbps IS, then NTLs backbone will be strong anyway.

I could pretty much assure you that in my area, if you asked people if they knew the differance between 56k modem and cable modem, they wouldnt know the differance! So they wont be getting it.

A whole load of people only use the internet for web-pages, email etc. A whole load of people dont have access ot the internet. Alot of places are running on IIS. I dont think the NTL network is under any stress atall. The only "stress" ntl has, is trying to cope with people calling in!!!!!!

O

old.Jas

and im not saying put it up to the TOP speed, just 6mbits. They can take this surely. By the time most people realise what 6mbps IS, then NTLs backbone will be strong anyway.
Nope - 12x the backbone usage will flood thier network and take it down for sure. You have to pay £150-£180/month for a 2mb pipe on ADSL. I can't see the price any lower on cable, even if it was it wouldn't be targetted towards home users.

Alot of places are running on IIS
Running IIS? WTF has that got to do with it?

I dont think the NTL network is under any stress atall
Even if they are at half load (which I can assure you they are not - its not commercially viable) how do you think they would cope with 12x the demand?

W

Will

Man, this made me laugh. I wish my world was as simple as yours JafferAB.

O

old.Jernau

Wasn't there a 1024kbit (1Mb) NTL broadband trial in south Manchester some time last year? That was rumored on NTL's newsgroups as being about 45 quid per month as opposed to the 25 for 512kB. Not holding breath waiting for that to become available because of their current financial situation.

Anyway, good luck in getting more Disney characters signed up.

LMAO

J

P.s Jaffa means seedless.

E

Embattle

JafferAB all I can say is get run over and then reincarnated and hopefully you'll learn some thing :rolleyes:

G

Grimes

fs 24meg cable modem, that'd make your eyes water!

Jaffadude, do you even know how much a 24meg leased line from NTL costs?? - I can't remember now, but I do remember that 50meg leased line costs 49K PA (i looked it up in work the otherday)

If you pay for it, they will supply - just not via a CM :D

S

Sar

Jaffer = Clueless.

Obviously has no idea about the workings of Business, or sensible network usage.

Just cos it's there doesn't mean it can be used fully. Eejit.

Kthnxbi

P

Panda On Smack

ye, i saw the press release on the NTL site today. rang up about it and woman is calling me back tomorrow

show me the bandwidth!!

C

caLLous

Bah, that's less than I'm paying for 512/256 DSL. :(

S

Scouse

Go easy on him chaps - he's probably very young - and you know how it is when you're 12 or so :)

S

]SK[

Im happy with 512k download

I only wish for 512k upload too.

D

Dimebag

People who say that anger me in the most amazing way.

What is this "im happy with 60k/s" rubbish. If you use the line for downloading things, and lets face it everyone on here will be downloading some sort of illegal content, you will be waiting 3 hours or so for an iso? Are you telling me that if you could pay 20 quid more a month and get it twice as fast you wouldnt?

The only reason people are supposedly "happy" with 512kbps is the fact that we've been using modems so long in this country a measly 60k/s seems fast.

I do agree about the upload thing though, its rediculous. In lots of cases in europe with dsl, they get more upload than download half the time, so whats going on with ours? (this may seem a weird comment but its true to most 512k downstream packages). I would love one of those 2.5mbit/786kbit bonet.se packages :/
Or maybe a nice 10mbit bbb line for less than 20 quid a month. Ah well dream on.

Dime.

S

]SK[

I use mine for gaming mostly, downloading at 72k max is fine for the time being. Course id like more but im saying atm theres no rush.

PS Armadillos \o/

O

old.Lucas^

Roflmao.

lol, NTL would need to make a future for themselves. Why the heck should they give you 6mbits! No way! You'll pay more for a higher speed simple as that.

Rofl at silleyness.

O

old.Jas

Originally posted by +SA+SerialKilla
I only wish for 512k upload too
Yeah - I'm happy @ 512k for the moment, the 256k upload is limiting

P

Panda On Smack

yas, just read back through

I hope when NTL up their bandwidth options to 1mb on monday that they increase the upload speed

seems stupid not to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom