NTL and 3Gb cap ffs!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
Just posted this on an NTL Forum with NIB results or people telling me to just get the 2Mb line. Thought i'd try you guys on the off chance :wub:

Hi peeps

heres the story. im currently living with my parents where i use the 500K (at least i think it is cant remember lol) line with no problems and more importantly no cap, but am about to move into my own shinny new house and NTL now do the 1Mb line for £17.99 but it has a 3Gb per month cap which ill get through in about a 1/2 a week. They do say that if you exceed the 3Gb they will give you options like paying for excess data used or downgrading amount of data access.

Now my ideal option would be to downgrade the line but if they are going to downgrade it to 56k i might have to think twice. so can anyone tell me the options or what I can downgrade the line too.

Thanks in advance

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Shifted this to the hardware forums, you might get a better answer in here.

Left the redirect in WoW though so you don't lose sight of it. :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Anar

Last time I heard the options were, as you say, either upgrade your package (the 2Mbps service has a 30GB cap), pay excess data charges (not sure about this one) or have the speed downgraded for the rest of the month (I read 56k but I'm not honestly sure). Try contacting NTL's support lines (their phone service is free, I believe) just to check, but otherwise I don't think there's much you can do.

Unlike BT, ntl's lines aren't subject to the same rival competition from different ISPs, so you sadly can't even switch to get a better deal unless you went back to BT (even then many BT ISPs implement a low cap on their cheapest services).

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Thanks for the redirect, FuzzyLogic :)

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
FuzzyLogic said:
Shifted this to the hardware forums, you might get a better answer in here.

Left the redirect in WoW though so you don't lose sight of it. :)

Cheers both :worthy:

still searching and found this :-

Q. What will we do if a customer reaches their usage allowance?
We will not be checking usage allowances until later this year. We will get in touch with customers directly when we start to check their usage - information and alternative options will be provided to customers when usage allowances are exceeded. In the meantime we will continue to run campaigns with heavy users

Still dunno what they plan to do with excessive users though :sex:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
3 Gig in half a week? omg tbfh.

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
Tom said:
3 Gig in half a week? omg tbfh.

Mabye not half a week then, but i'll certainly go over 3Gb per month :kissit:

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
I wouldn't worry too heftily!

I don't think they will nanny state people who go over as they don't have the staff ;p! What they do want to prevent is people using extensive and extreme amounts of cable line.

However what annoys me is that a cable line paid for in my opinion should have no limit or a very generous cap. Someone once said that the reason ntl have introduced this is because their infrastructure can't cope.

I've been with them for over 5 years if they start messing me about I'll cancel my account tbh the broadband market is hotter than a nightclub full of hotties!

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
/boast
Pfft.. you pay for internet with caps? omg....
No caps here (Estonia) since 1995 :p
I have 2mbit cable (I know it sux, will soon get 100mb) for free, ok, normally it is 30eur, no limits.

...3Gb for a month, that's just..... stupid.... I have bout 1Gb/day if not downloading stuff, if I am, up to 10Gb/day....
/endboast

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well I just rang them for my free upgrade. Only to be told that they can't install until May. I wouldn't mind so much, but I told them about this in early March when the upgrades started, and they couldn't change my settop box until April 4th - the day that I called them.

What a load of cock tbh. Think I'll whinge about compo as they don't sell the 750k package any more, I think I'm being had.

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
Well i phoned NTL last night to ask a few questions and their officail answer on the subject was..............wait for it.............and i quote........I DONT KNOW!

ffs if NTL dont know who does?!?!? :flame:

Vantros of the Delerium

Fledgling Freddie
ntl supports the worst in britain (yes it makes BT seem helpful), they dont know thier own product which is why they lost 60% of thier members base in the space of 1 month. They are very close to going bankrupt AGAIN because they cant kee thier customers happy, thats why they have added the cap to downloading. I would suggest you get adsl if you are able, AOL adsl is very good and has no download cap.

Personally i wouldnt touch NTL with a 10 foot pole, they dont even know they have a tech forum that informs them if theres any works going on in the area. They dont adhere to thier contracts either, and dont send out bills then shut you off, and then send you a bill 4 weeks later with the date of 6 weeks before.

Offtell have a complaints list on NTL which is bigger than Anna Nicole Smiths weight loss bills. I would suggest you jump ship before they go bankrupt and your money goes walkies.

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
Vantros of the Delerium said:
ntl supports the worst in britain (yes it makes BT seem helpful), they dont know thier own product which is why they lost 60% of thier members base in the space of 1 month. They are very close to going bankrupt AGAIN because they cant kee thier customers happy, thats why they have added the cap to downloading. I would suggest you get adsl if you are able, AOL adsl is very good and has no download cap.

Personally i wouldnt touch NTL with a 10 foot pole, they dont even know they have a tech forum that informs them if theres any works going on in the area. They dont adhere to thier contracts either, and dont send out bills then shut you off, and then send you a bill 4 weeks later with the date of 6 weeks before.

Offtell have a complaints list on NTL which is bigger than Anna Nicole Smiths weight loss bills. I would suggest you jump ship before they go bankrupt and your money goes walkies.

Some good points there m8, ill have a look at AOL now cheers :wub:

Sh33p

Fledgling Freddie
rofl and AOL is any better?

As said it's not an issue until later on this year, they're not checking usage at all right now, the difference between 1mbit/2mbit price isn't that much and I doubt NTL will really go beserk with the caps.

They'd start losing customers extremely quickly if they did.

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
i'm in the process of getting rid of ntl ( but its harder than getting rid of herpes). I upgraded to 2mg for the same price as the 700k (£24.99) but then they had the cheek to charge me an extra £15 for a mid monthly surcharge. They said they would waver the fee but still billed me for it. The minute i receive my refund i'm outta there.

ps aol is crap my brother-in-law is with them and gets randomly cut of for a few mins before it reconnects

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
Job done NTL installation of Broadband, Phone and TV next Wednesday :) thanks for your help and advice peeps mucho appriciated :cheers:

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
well with Force 9 i've used 38.09GB from Jun 23 2005 to Jul 17 2005.... :eek6:

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Furr said:

that's only 18kb/s running 24/7 which isn't all that impressive. the best i've ever done is 40gb is 2.5 days, although that was running almost constantly at 2000kb/s

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Furr said:
Blatantly pr0n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom