Not Amused Please Admins Sort it Please

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Embattle said:
I think you're all tossers....whoops seemed of mistakenly typed that instead of thinking it ;)
That's ok, we all think you're a fucking **** too. ;)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
Uh, Escape from your posts I get the impression that you don't think jokes should be offensive to anyone. Ever. Surely that would make things pretty dull.

No, the best jokes are those which take the piss!

On another forum, a poster had just discovered the dictionary... and started using words like Negro, Negroids etc... until inevitably, someone took offence. Though the original poster defended himself saying his words were taken from a dictionary and cannot be offensive - he truly didn't mean to cause offence!(apparently). I can guarentee you he'll never walk up to a group of black people and say "Hey, what're you negroids doing?"... but he'll happily do it on the internet. That's the type of prick attitude I don't like.

People lose the distinction between real life and the net, and think what's acceptable with their mates is safe to post online. It's not, once online it'll be read by different types of people and if you're mocking particularly sensitive issues, at least it should be funny and not some generic crap like a BBC comedy script.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah but I don't think you can compare that to the Pope joke which in all honesty wasn't that big a deal.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
STUDENT ALERT!!!!!

/me spots long coat and VERY wispy beard on this one ...

I work for a software company....I couldn't grow a beard if i WANTED to and I'm far too svelt for a long coat.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The pope joke wasn't funny, although not really offensive (to me). However, upsetting Darthy and then not apologising immediately (although Brooky has since apologised, so fair play) is out of order.

It doesn't matter if you know something or not, if you upset somebody badly with something you've done or said, a decent person apologises, regardless of the circumstances.

Just because its on the internet doesn't excuse people from behaving with some decent manners.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You know what, if you read the log pasted, at no point does darth tell Brooky his mum has died. And Brooky did in his first post in this thread say sorry.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
Yeah but I don't think you can compare that to the Pope joke which in all honesty wasn't that big a deal.

Difference of perspective, it's ignorant to assume everyone feels the same in these matters. There're millions of people out there who saw the pope as their religious figure... 4+ million flocked to Rome to see him after his death. It's a pretty fair bet that some of the people who had strong feelings for the Pope use the internet, and maybe irc...

P.S. I don't know anyone who does, but I won't start posting 'pope jokes' while people are still mourning him. Though I may do irl, among people who won't be offended... and only if it's funny.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Right. In all seriousness - the idea that you'd rather me censor myself if I wanted to post pope jokes after his death offends me.

What you gonna do about that?

I am not taking the piss here, or arguing for arguings sake. I am genuinely offended by people who would stifle others on points of principle - i.e. their principles.

You can't avoid offending people. My personal approach is to say things how I see them, laugh at what I want to laugh at and everyone who doesn't like it can get fucked.

I'm a pretty decent guy. I don't actually like upsetting people - but I can't avoid it. So I'm fucked if I'm going to try.

Aww. Fuck. I've offended myself with over use of italics in this post :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Scouse said:
Right. In all seriousness - the idea that you'd rather me censor myself if I wanted to post pope jokes after his death offends me.

I am not taking the piss here, or arguing for arguings sake. I am genuinely offended by people who would stifle others on points of principle - i.e. their principles.

You can't avoid offending people. My personal approach is to say things how I see them, laugh at what I want to laugh at and everyone who doesn't like it can get fucked.

I'm a pretty decent guy. I don't actually like upsetting people - but I can't avoid it. So I'm fucked if I'm going to try.

In the upcoming election I'd very much like to support your manifesto. Which party are you running for?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Tom said:
The pope joke wasn't funny, although not really offensive (to me). However, upsetting Darthy and then not apologising immediately (although Brooky has since apologised, so fair play) is out of order.

It doesn't matter if you know something or not, if you upset somebody badly with something you've done or said, a decent person apologises, regardless of the circumstances.

Just because its on the internet doesn't excuse people from behaving with some decent manners.

This post sums it up perfectly and the rest of the 4 pages is just a waste of, err, stuff, thing, and anyway, stfu .

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Escape said:
No, the best jokes are those which take the piss!

On another forum, a poster had just discovered the dictionary... and started using words like Negro, Negroids etc... until inevitably, someone took offence. Though the original poster defended himself saying his words were taken from a dictionary and cannot be offensive - he truly didn't mean to cause offence!(apparently). I can guarentee you he'll never walk up to a group of black people and say "Hey, what're you negroids doing?"... but he'll happily do it on the internet. That's the type of prick attitude I don't like.

People lose the distinction between real life and the net, and think what's acceptable with their mates is safe to post online. It's not, once online it'll be read by different types of people and if you're mocking particularly sensitive issues, at least it should be funny and not some generic crap like a BBC comedy script.

I think the key thing for me is that i treat the informationsuperhighweb in the same way i treat real life (to a greater extent) and i speak to people in the same way that i do IRL. I think a lot of people don't see the link though and use their online personae as a smokescreen as they see their typed words as a detatchement from reality. I think over time people will mature in their use of the net and will treat people with the same courtesy that they do in real life. Would i walk up to a person in the street whom i hardly knew and tell them that i liked to taste their mother's pustulent frothing gash after f*cking her in the ear with a spork? Absolutely not! So i wouldn't do something similar on the net. A lot of people just can't make the leap between real life interaction and online social interraction.
Also there is the misguided notion that words cannot hurt and that humor (however funny or unfunny) can justify anything (trust me, that exchange from #freddyshouse was nothing compared to some of the stuff i've seen out there in the past) However words themselves do have the power to trigger emotional responses from people.

Personally i'd like to invent a internet based equivilent to a punch in the face, because if you said certain things in a pub that's what you'd get so why doesn't someone come up with the online equivilent.

For general amusement though i offer IRC Madness

Bodhi

yaruar said:
I think the key thing for me is that i treat the informationsuperhighweb in the same way i treat real life (to a greater extent) and i speak to people in the same way that i do IRL. I think a lot of people don't see the link though and use their online personae as a smokescreen as they see their typed words as a detatchement from reality. I think over time people will mature in their use of the net and will treat people with the same courtesy that they do in real life. Would i walk up to a person in the street whom i hardly knew and tell them that i liked to taste their mother's pustulent frothing gash after f*cking her in the ear with a spork? Absolutely not! So i wouldn't do something similar on the net. A lot of people just can't make the leap between real life interaction and online social interraction.
Also there is the misguided notion that words cannot hurt and that humor (however funny or unfunny) can justify anything (trust me, that exchange from #freddyshouse was nothing compared to some of the stuff i've seen out there in the past) However words themselves do have the power to trigger emotional responses from people.

Personally i'd like to invent a internet based equivilent to a punch in the face, because if you said certain things in a pub that's what you'd get so why doesn't someone come up with the online equivilent.

For general amusement though i offer IRC Madness

Good idea. Tell you what, you invent the internet punch in the face, I'll invent the internet pint of beer. Cos in the same way if you tell someone to die of AIDS they should punch you in the face (like in a pub), if I say "One pint of lager please" I should get presented with a pint of lager. Cos like, the internet and the pub are EXACTLY the same sorta place.

Oh and words cannot hurt? Guess a phrase involving sticks and stones never turned up in your upbringing then. Anyone who gets hurt by words is a pussy frankly.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Scouse said:

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

People do seem to be very eager that people see their perspective and abide by their principles without seeing that by doing so they are dismissing everyone else's principles out of hand. Rather hypocritical.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Bodhi said:
Anyone who gets hurt by words is a pussy frankly.

Heh. You're a shallow man Bodhi, the sort of people who say that words dont hurt are usually the sad little people who put on a front pretending to be big and matcho but inside they're empty.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Or just someone who's secure in themself.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Not always - people do exist that are secure enough not to be offended by things said to them. Sure, the more intimate the relationship with the offender the more likely it is to offend but on IRC or in a pub? Fuhgeddabaddit.

Clown

Part of the furniture
If the Pope was a Power Ranger, what would his dinosaur be?

Bodhi

Panda On Smack said:
Heh. You're a shallow man Bodhi, the sort of people who say that words dont hurt are usually the sad little people who put on a front pretending to be big and matcho but inside they're empty.

Sorry to piss on your chips, but nath is right. I only say this cos I'm so fucking secure with who I am. If you get offended by words you NEED FUCKING HELP!!!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
A word is just a word. It is simply a label. To be offended by a word is a ridiculous idea, it's the concepts the said label invokes that causes offence. So if anyone's offended by words it is their own personal understanding of the concept related to the word that causes them offence. Effectively if you are offended by words you are choosing to be offended by them, and IMO there's nothing more stupid to be offended over.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I've got a word for you - stoodent :eek:

Clown

Part of the furniture
Words. Beegees. Words mean something. People are offended by the meaning or incinuation. Beegees mean something. I'm offended by the beards.

Tilda

Bodhi, perhaps you should consider the fact that not everbody is as secure as you are, and such are perhaps entitled to be offended or upset by words.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Bodhi said:
Sorry to piss on your chips, but nath is right. I only say this cos I'm so fucking secure with who I am. If you get offended by words you NEED FUCKING HELP!!!

heh, u sad little man

leggy

Probably Scottish
None of this is getting any funnier. You all still have aids and your mothers really should hurry up and die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom