Not a problem as such...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
but a bit of an oddity, and an irritation.

When I power my PC down, but leave it on at the plug, the mouse remains powered. It is an optical mouse, and the LED just stays on.

In itself this isn't a problem, but I use a 6 way extension cord that is meant to turn off the other sockets when the main one is switched off. Whatever is causing the PC to keep the mouse powered is presumably drawing enough to fool it into thinking it is still working.

It is a simple MS Explorer mouse plugged into the PS/2 socket.

Any ideas?

RB

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi RB

This might be a long shot but check in your PC's BIOS under the power settings for any wake from mouse/keyboard/network options. Some PCs have the ability to 'wake' your PC by moving the mouse, pressing a key or receiving data over the network. In order for this to work these devices require a little power to remain active. Like I say, it's a longshot, but you never know.

Kind Regards

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi matey

Sorry about that, it was a longshot. Apparently some motherboards have jumpers instead of BIOS options, so you may wish to consult the manual if you have it to hand. Other than that, I'm not really sure what it could be.

Kind Regards

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
My mod box does exactly the same RB, I assumed it was cos Id re-wired the PSU up wrong having taken it all to bits. My fix is to just turn the PSU off with the rocker switch, although not all have them fitted.

TUG

It's my birthday today!
Definitely down to your motherboard, but probably something you can't change bar turning off the mains to it..

My old mobo did the same, but my new one only "lights" the mouse up when the XP splash screen shows upon loading :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
You are all stupid. I cannot believe no one has mentioned the obvious....

....the mouse is haunted, there is some sort of spirit lurking around in there. My suggestion would be to call a priest sooner rather than later RB, obviously not on a Sunday as he will be nuts deep in a choir boy, but any other day get him round your house.

Sorry :(

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
If it's an annoyance(it would be for me ;) ), switch to a USB mouse!

The logitech mx510 gets good reviews all round. It's meant to be one of the best mice for FPS games. I'd say it's alot smoother than my 'MS Explorer' in windows, but in games I haven't noticed any difference.

Otherwise google your mobo model number, with 'mouse light' or something and it might come up with a solution!

Chilly

Balls of steel
mx1000 > all

No idea what might be causing your problem, RB :(

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Clearly Trem's made the most sense and I have an appointment with the local priest Monday. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll have to try all that motherboard stuff ;)

Thanks again though

RB

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i've a mx510, i nearly got the 1000 but didn't want a wireless one, and it was an extorionat amount of money :p

(the drivers form logitech suck though, i'm on the native windows ones)

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
I believe your problem might be due to the windows setting for power management.

In your device manager properties window for your mouse, select the power management tab and ensure "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" is deselected

and do the same for all of your usb devices... keyboards, usb drivers etc etc

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I read something about the mx1000 lagging for some people. So opted for the mx510. Besides, if I had a cordless mouse, it would try to escape oO

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
mx1000 takes some getting used to. But it owns all else, its the bestest thing since sliced bread and butter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom