Nokia N97

soze

I am a FH squatter
Some people say the the OS is its major weak point but if you are used to Nokia then it is similar enough not to cause you problems. If you have never used nokias life will be interesting for a while but it is ok to use.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The reviews I've read give it a kind of "meh" rating. OK, but the iPhone, Pre and android phones are better. I think S60 series Symbian has had its day tbh.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It looks and sounds awesome.

Nokia N97 - Buy Nokia N97 Mobile Phones from Vodafone

Why shouldn't I buy this phone? (as in, it looks so awesome, but I've probably missed something that makes it very shite)

I should have waited for this rather than the Experia X1.
I don't think you have missed anything important.

It is symbian 60 but as said before if you have used any previous Nokias this should not phase you.

It's probably not as polished as the iphone or as customisable as a Hero but its certainly a worth while phone

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
What about the HTC Diamond Touch 2? It gets great reviews from what i've seen, but I also think that the Freddies won't favour it because it's Windows Mobile basically.

And Gaff n co, you're right on the N97 - reviews have been pretty average at best, seems to be a "could have brilliant, but isn't".

Thoughts?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I think they're really flogging a dead horse with WinMo, I have no faith that it's up to the task any more. Also, for a touch screen phone, you're always going to have bits on WinMo that require a stylus no matter how much they try to hide it. I personally would get sick to the back teeth with that, as I have done with my previous two HTC WinMo phones :).

old.user4556

So tell me why I want the Hero instead Nath.

SELL IT TO ME.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Because:

It's lovely.
It's running the Google Android OS which I think is a real up-and-comer and looks pretty solid as it is. It's also designed from the ground up to be for touch interface, so no faffing with a stylus.
It does more or less everything the iphone does but without the pointless restrictions and it's not exorbitantly expensive.
Lovvvvvvely interface.
Capacitive touch screen, 3.5mm headphone jack, MicroSDHC slot.
Android App Marketplace - like the apple app store but not quite as full yet, but MS doesn't even have one at all (yet). Lots of great little utilities, vast majority free.

Basically, what would you use the N97/TouchHD2 for, chances are the Hero does it a bit better :).

Oh, also it seems that there are a few niggles with the Hero at the moment but there's a software update coming out in a few days/weeks that looks like it's going to fix a huge amount of stuff. Check out some youtube vids to get a feel for the device.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You've made me really want a hero now as well nath, I've even stepped up at work so I can earn enough commissions to treat myself to one come October ;p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Muahah, you must all suffer the desire that I suffer. Then you will all suffer the disappointment when it probably turns out to be not quite as awesometastic as it looks.

Plus, weep at the shitty data bundles all the networks provide! Scoff at Oranges paltry 500mb that will likely last about 1 week on this phone. Guffaw and o2's insistence that they're unlimited, but you better not download any apps or youtube videos as that's not allowed! Breathe a short sigh of relief before realising that T-Mobiles wonderful looking 3gb limit is tempered by absolutely atrocious HSDPA speeds.

SUFFER!

soze

I am a FH squatter
What about the HTC Diamond Touch 2? It gets great reviews from what i've seen, but I also think that the Freddies won't favour it because it's Windows Mobile basically.

And Gaff n co, you're right on the N97 - reviews have been pretty average at best, seems to be a "could have brilliant, but isn't".

Thoughts?

I have used over 100 phones this year from 5 hours to 1 week and the Diamond 2 is the one i got for my personal phone. Its very responsive and you have to go 3 or 4 layers down before you sniff win mo. The Touch Flo 3d interface is brilliant. I can not recommend the phone enough. Its the same hardware as the hero with a similar (identical after update) ui i think it beats it with the amount of apps you can find. But like you hit on people rule it out because it runs WinMo without trying it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Is it just the apps that beats it for you? I think the android marketplace has a lot of potential and it's so accessible to download stuff, unlike (what I've found at least) with WinMo. Finding, downloading and installing apps on WinMo can be a bit of a ballache but it's iphone-simple on the hero.

Are there any other reasons for recommending the Diamond 2 over the Hero?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Is it just the apps that beats it for you? I think the android marketplace has a lot of potential and it's so accessible to download stuff, unlike (what I've found at least) with WinMo. Finding, downloading and installing apps on WinMo can be a bit of a ballache but it's iphone-simple on the hero.

Are there any other reasons for recommending the Diamond 2 over the Hero?

I have used WinMo for ages so i like it and know what im doing and until i find something im the Hero i cant do on the Diamond (that i need to do) i will stick with familiarity over new flash. As for apps its never taken longer than about 5 minutes for me to search for (XDA Developers) dl and install the app. Yes the App Store layout is easier but once i have my apps installed that's me set i do not tend to install for the sake of it.

Don't get me wrong the Hero is a nice device and a great start for the OS but the Diamond 2 is a brilliant phone handicapped by preconceptions about winmo imo.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Righto, I want a Hero soon. Best place to buy? The prices seem to have gone up to £400, anyone seen it cheap anywhere?

old.user4556

I want the Hero on o2 - what are the chances?

old.user4556

I was in a carphone warehouse today and they had it as coming soon on o2. Free on a £30 a month contract.

Awesome chet, thanks - upgrade time is just under 2 months away.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I was in a carphone warehouse today and they had it as coming soon on o2. Free on a £30 a month contract.
Interesting, I'll keep an eye out for that - I was thinking I'd buy it offline and go for a sim-only deal. I know HTC are going to be releasing a fair few updates for this phone, don't like the idea that these updates need to be okayed by the mobile provider.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
This order has been placed with eXpansys on 30 Aug 2009 from computer.

Your order reference is. You will need this in all
correspondence.

If you have any queries or problems, please email
orderstat@expansys.com, or call +44 (0)161 868 0868 between 24 Hrs
Mon-Fri, 8-6pm Saturday..

This information has been emailed to. Your
order is currently being processed in our systems. Your order will be
accepted by us (and a contract will then be formed between us) when
we dispatch the goods to you. Title to the goods will pass to you on
delivery. You will receive another email confirming the order has
been dispatched.

To see the status of your order at any time please visit this URL:

http://www.expansys.com/

Item / Stock Qty Price Total
------ ---------------------------------------- --- ------- --------
184566 Hero with £30 eXpansys Vouchers 1 329.57 329.57
In Stock
132736 £4.35 voucher (Net of tax) 1 -4.35 -4.35
In Stock
------ ---------------------------------------- --- ------- --------
Shipping Info 5.75
VAT (15%) 49.65
--------
Total 380.62
--------

\o/

You make me poor nath. I blame you.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
ehehe, sorry mate. If it makes you feel better, I'll be absolutely fucking broke in a few months anyway. Gotta furnish my new flat and in addition that I still fully intend on buying this lovely phone and a new LCD tele. Such a bad idea :\.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Hmm, O2 now have the Samsung Galaxy in stock, which has a slightly better spec than the Hero (oled screen, thinner and better looking imho), need to see a review of it...

old.user4556

Hmm, O2 now have the Samsung Galaxy in stock, which has a slightly better spec than the Hero (oled screen, thinner and better looking imho), need to see a review of it...

Yes, I was talking to my mobile obsessed mate about the HTC Hero and he mentioned this as an alternative. I wouldn't have gone near Samsung as a mobile provider, but this does look quite special.

Video:

YouTube - Samsung Galaxy Review

old.user4556

The Hero "desktop" looks a bit different to the Galaxy UI? Is the Hero more customised out of the box? I like the Twitter application, is that a downloadable plugin I could get for the Galaxy?

Hero:

YouTube - HTC Hero - Video Preview

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The Hero uses a fully customised UI, made by HTC. It uses Android but is not a google phone unlike the Samsung, hence the differences. The camera on the Hero is piss poor according to all reviews, so if that is important to you then get the galaxy.

old.user4556

Cheers Chet, cameraphones on all phones are piss poor imo so I'm not too bothered about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom