No Open beta

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
They have said in this case though that there will be no time where "anyone" can play beta. It will still all be done by invites.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
well EA|Mythic arent opening "Open Beta" up to everyone...

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
He's making a general comment about what the term "open beta" usually means. In this case, if it's not open acces, it's not an "open" beta, it is, by definintion, an invitation only beta stage and hence "closed".

"Sometimes, beta tests are referred to as "open" or "closed". A closed beta test has a limited number of spots open for testing, while an open beta has either an unlimited number of spots (i.e. anyone who wants to can participate) or a very large number of spots in cases where opening it up to everyone is impractical."
Full like in here:
Beta - Definition
this may not be the definitive answer but but just because its not open to all still makes it an OPEN BETA. nuf said :)

ok ok well not a flame to anyone just trying to my this discussion
moot.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
"Sometimes, beta tests are referred to as "open" or "closed". A closed beta test has a limited number of spots open for testing, while an open beta has either an unlimited number of spots (i.e. anyone who wants to can participate) or a very large number of spots in cases where opening it up to everyone is impractical."

Objection! have to ever said just how much people they going to invite to so called OB?

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Full like in here:
Beta - Definition
this may not be the definitive answer but but just because its not open to all still makes it an OPEN BETA. nuf said :)

ok ok well not a flame to anyone just trying to my this discussion
moot.

The quote can be considered a contradiction, so whoever said it should consider what they have said. How many people have to be invited for it to be "open" instead of "closed"? What nonsense :)

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
well like i said its not definitive but thats the the definition i found when i googled "open beta".
i know a definition with out an absolute is a pain, but in England "it is illegal to serve alcohol to a person who is drunk" and yet the law here has no definition of the word "drunk". if the law can use objectives so can the computer industry.
Inregards to how many people will be let into WAR open beta :) they said and to paraphrase
'alot.. really alot'
Thats makes me think the number will be subtanialy high and therefor fits into the earlier definition i posted so it seems that both the website and the WAR devs agree on the defintion, so who are we to argue.. Maybe you are in the computer dev industry and can but those that arnt, need to be humble and respect that we may not always be right.. even if we are logical

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
PS limited can mean - "small in range or scope"
define:limited - Google Search
and therefore is not a contradiction
if you feel that it is still a contradiction then please explain and i will see if i can play devils advocate some more :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Why do all threads become spelling and grammer education lessons after 10th post

OOHH SHIIITTTT I FORGOT A FULL STOP AND CAPS!

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Nice degree on what's the definition of Open Beta :m00:

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Just because you can find something on Google, does not make it right :)

My point is very simple and your quoting semantics. Open means open, it's an absolute, anything thats not open is closed or somewhere inbetween. Maybe to be gramatically correct it should be Somewhat Ajar Beta, I don't know and frankly I don't care.

I'm out ;)

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
LOL ok well was trying to clear things up. could have come up with a opinion but thought basing it on some evidence would help., guess ill just shut up and let you guys argue.

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
and yes open is and absolute.. and closed is closed. but its very rare to find absolutes used as true absolutes so maybe your being just a lil bit ...naive

Fester Addams

Fledgling Freddie
There will be an open beta.

The problem is that some people have decided that open beta is defined in a way that has never been the case.

In a closed beta the designers pick and choose who gets in to test the product.

An open beta allows a larger group in usually on a first come first serve basis.

The fact that many games open beta have seemed to have the policy "let everyone in" does not meen they actually had that policy.

WoW as an example had a specific number of spots for the open beta like have most other games entering it.

As more and more people get into the genre more and more people will compete for the finite number of slots, last I checked the WAR site it had something like 760.000 signups for beta open or otherwise, while allowing everyone andn his dog in may be a good PR move it may not be a good move from a buisness perspective.

The open beta is in reality mainly a stress test, to accomidate even 500k people you will fill far more servers than you really need to test the servers.

Additionally as people are willing to preorder the game, buy side products so on and so forth in order to secure a spot in a beta it is only logical that the developers (who lets be honest are after our cash) will use this to their full advantage.

So please, stop complaining that the open beta wont be open, if you really wish to get into it then preorder the game. If you wish to use the open beta to gauge if you wish to buy the game... well Im sure there will be free trials soon enough not to mention buddy trials so on and so forth.

Personally I want the "open" beta part to be as short as possible, we wont be able to keep our chars from open beta when moving into head start and thus I do not want to get too attached to an open beta char.

Yes I have bought the CE however the fact that it guarantees me an open beta spot meens nothing to me.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
and yes open is and absolute.. and closed is closed. but its very rare to find absolutes used as true absolutes so maybe your being just a lil bit ...naive

I recognize an absolut'e' only ....

It's the Vodka!!!! :drink:

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
Dont know why we all care anyways.. they will let in alot of people enough to fill one server at least. if its called open, closed or purple is neither here nor there. they will enlarge the number of beta testers at some point when they are ready, lets hope its soon, lets hope it doesnt take too long and lets hope they release a finished game. think thats what we all want, might not happen though..

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

More semanitcs, perhaps your being a little bit ...fastidious

;)

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
think this whole issue started off about semantics, people asking when open beta would be as stated by the WAR developers and others saying that open beta wouldnt happen it would be colsed beta... just seems everyone was being petty was trying to clear things up..

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Doesn't open beta just means there's no NDA or whatever the hell those letters are!?

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
dont bother.. i tried to clear thins up with a quote and got flammed for using semantics.. let them believe what they want

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom