No Open beta

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Heard rumors that there won't be an open beta period :) that true? i'm hoping it isn't because I really wanted my GF and 2 norwegian friends to join me playing it before release :( sadly they didn't get closed beta accepts :(

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
There will be a mostly open beta phase before the game launches. During this time there will be a lot (really a lot) of players invited to the beta and probably no NDA. There is no plan to have a completely free beta where anyone who wants to download the client can log in.

There will also be a lot more beta invites going out between now and that point as well.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Well thats ok then I guess :) means my friends can get abit play around before the game goes live. thanks for the reply.

DarkSnaker

Fledgling Freddie
Open beta is actually a crucial part of marketing. When the game releases, alot of potential customers did not play the game yet... and they won't be buying the game just to try it out.

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
An open beta turns off as many people as it brings onboard, people dont like paying for what they used to have for free.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
An open beta turns off as many people as it brings onboard, people dont like paying for what they used to have for free.

Thats crap. Beta can turn players off, but certainly not for the reason you use. Also the vast majority of players normally enjoy the beta, it's only usually the vocal minority who spread the manure.

[UKLans]Khan

Fledgling Freddie
Will we be able to pre-order and gain early access like some of the other MMO's released recently? Also, do you think you will give a beta spot to people who pre-order from specific vendors?

Regards,

Khan

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
I see the "almost-open-beta" as my only chance to play beta. In fact, if I don't play beta, I'm not sure I'll play the game. I always like to have rolled a char in which you can make some errors, before you go for the real thing; and I don't want to run behind, so beta is the only chance to do that. So I need beta :D

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
BLACKMAIL!!!! (damn wish i'd thought of that :mad: )

I don't think not having the open beta is gonna harm the marketing that much. A lot of mmo advertising (Mr. T ad campaigns not withstanding) is word of mouth. The restricted beta instead would stop a beta server falling flat on it's ass with people trying to get a freebie peek :D

Sure a lot of people like to try before they buy, but a lot of people will buy a game just to try it, especially as you usually get a month 'free' subs with it.

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
Thats crap. Beta can turn players off, but certainly not for the reason you use. Also the vast majority of players normally enjoy the beta, it's only usually the vocal minority who spread the manure.

It's good to see you backing up the argument you're so vocal about with something tangable.
Problem is i'm not allowed to say how good or bad the game is with the NDA so i cant say how good an open beta would be, i can only comment on community feeling after the launch of the MMO's i've tested.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
It's good to see you backing up the argument you're so vocal about with something tangable.
Problem is i'm not allowed to say how good or bad the game is with the NDA so i cant say how good an open beta would be, i can only comment on community feeling after the launch of the MMO's i've tested.

Most people who play an open beta who then don't buy the game aren't turned off by just the fee, chances are that minority of players never had any intention of buying it. Certainly a lot will play the open beta, think nah, not for me, then uninstall it but not for the reason you gave.

There is a growing community of players who surf betas with no intention of buying the product, they simply go from free beta to free beta. As such they aren't turned off by the cost, it was never a factor to begin with. These are not potential players, never were, never would have been and as such do not count.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The annoying thing for most MMORPGs is that the open beta is usually the last chance to get a free trial to see if you like the game. Most won't offer a seperate free trial until about a year after release.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
The annoying thing for most MMORPGs is that the open beta is usually the last chance to get a free trial to see if you like the game. Most won't offer a seperate free trial until about a year after release.

I don't want a free trial. Heck, I'd pay to be in beta. I just need to know as much about the game as possible, about mechanics, good quests etc. So I can reach end-game content asap.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
You only get the "oooh" factor once in the game, when you first play it. That's the one good thing about not beta testing! If you rush through the content as fast as possible just to reach the end-game then you're missing a huge chunk of the game.

You're only a noob in a game once!

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
End game content is normally put in after a games release also so you might well be rushing for no real reason ^^

Talivar

Part of the furniture
If u do want a beta spot u should atleast be trying to say things to make people warm to you!:) From my experience in previous MMOs a big % of the ppl that just rush to end game are the ppl that moan the most and loudest about lack of things to do, and thats not good for anyone:) OFC u maybe one of the few that rush to end game and wait happiliy and patiently for rest to catch up:)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
If u do want a beta spot u should atleast be trying to say things to make people warm to you!:) From my experience in previous MMOs a big % of the ppl that just rush to end game are the ppl that moan the most and loudest about lack of things to do, and thats not good for anyone:) OFC u maybe one of the few that rush to end game and wait happiliy and patiently for rest to catch up:)

Heh people that moan from rushing to the end? like nihilium in WoW you mean :) and yea I do agree with the rest, open beta is a crucial part of it i've got 4 friends that want to play this with me when it goes live and if theres no open beta they may not get the chance to try it resulting in them not buying it... don't make a mistaken before the games even released Mythic/goa.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

Absolutely.

The fun should be in the journey of getting to high level, not being high level :)

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Not really, the reason I started playing RPG's was that you can just spend alot of time on the game, don't have any actual skill, just be higher level, and then kick the -tevr- out of the newbs. I kinda evolved from there...but basically I wanna whack lowbies :p

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Not really, the reason I started playing RPG's was that you can just spend alot of time on the game, don't have any actual skill, just be higher level, and then kick the -tevr- out of the newbs. I kinda evolved from there...but basically I wanna whack lowbies :p

Ah a future chicken pecker :)

I plan on playing the game rather than rushing through it, but I also plan to take a week's holiday on release so will be putting in a lot of hours and might jump ahead of the average player, at least initially.

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
open beta is a massive marketing tool. its like getting someone addicted to drugs for free, then forcing them to have to pay for it... you get your mmo fix, and they get their money. all are happy.
the only people it pushes away are those young people who's mum and dad wont buy them subscriptions, and those who just didnt enjoy the game.

The people who rush to end game will be bored and lonely for a month or two while the rest of the community enjoy learning the finer aspects, and leveling with friends. that said, i guess if you rush to end game, you could just roll another char and have 2x max levels in the space of time it takes most people to get 1 :)

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
The people who rush to end game will be bored and lonely for a month or two while the rest of the community enjoy learning the finer aspects, and leveling with friends. that said, i guess if you rush to end game, you could just roll another char and have 2x max levels in the space of time it takes most people to get 1 :)

Nah, if you really are the only one at the top (which I assure you won't be the case there's always like, 2 others), anyway, you can roll an alt, rush that to where people are currently at, and boom, when everyone starts playing end-game, you have 2 chars to play end-game with, so for raids etc. you probably have a class they want :D

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Nah, if you really are the only one at the top (which I assure you won't be the case there's always like, 2 others), anyway, you can roll an alt, rush that to where people are currently at, and boom, when everyone starts playing end-game, you have 2 chars to play end-game with, so for raids etc. you probably have a class they want :D

Sonic is right though, so many times we have seen people powergame their way to max level in a new game then do nothing but QQ about there being nothing to do, the "I QUIT, THIS GAME SUXXORZ BECOZ IR TOP LEVERL IN 5 HRZ AND NO ONE ELSE IS, WHAR IS DEH CONTENTZ??111!!" brigade :)

Perhaps your different, but your in the vocal minority of these type of players.

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie

well thats a good way to get into beta, i dont care about the game, dont care about testing (hence Beta testing) just want to grief noobs (loose you subscibers) proberbly put you some where in the top 5% of the list ..
Just read teh date and you prob got a beta so you can flame my flame, but if you r still out of beta maybe think about being more use to the devs.
Beta days are work days for them after all.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Open beta is actually a crucial part of marketing. When the game releases, alot of potential customers did not play the game yet... and they won't be buying the game just to try it out.

if they aint even that exited about the game i doubt THAT many would end up buying the game even if they DID get a beta spot. and would most likely just enter the betas because its free game time.

Cosyra

Fledgling Freddie
They have to do an open beta cus they have sold the Collectors Edition with an open beta key. If they did not complete on that promise they leave themselves open to be sued - and you can guarantee someone will. The only thing they have not promised is how long the open beta will be - i reckon the minimum they could get away with is poss 1 week of open beta.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
They have to do an open beta cus they have sold the Collectors Edition with an open beta key.

Open beta= Anyone who wants can get in for free. So not really,they might call it open beta but on the end it's not that.

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
open beta is a beta stage where an NDA is unrealistic due one or more reasons such as beta population, release date, ect. It is often easier to allow "anyone" to play for free as stress testing is normaly done at this stage but a limited number of invited testers would still count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom