I

Ironfoot

Question to all you hunters out there

I got a lv 41 hunter and I was thinking of going

50 bow
44 spear
37 stealth

I have access to 47 aug MotA 3 shammy buffs

is a hunter with no BC viable ? or should i seriously think of going to 32 bc for the insta pet ?

M

m4rk

Well as long as you have a buffbot the only reason to go for BC would be the insta pet and the speed... I personally like the pet, renders some classes useless (archers/casters) once you have set it on them :)

K

kathal_tdd

The pet is a must imo and the speed is REALLY nice too. I catch Mincers with it :)

A

Archeon

Pet interupts. Imo hunters are probably the best class for this with their insta pet. Point > Shoot > Forgot, then move onto the next guy. Speaking from personal experience i know how much of a pain in the ass a pet on you is, especially when your trying to heal your group and all your insta CC timers have been used up getting those other annoying little things that tend to follow you (e.g. Shield tanks, friends of shield tank, 5 infs who just happened to be passing but want some RP).

Dunno if the level of your pet is effected by BC level though, so you might be able to get away with just speccing (or using, i'm not sure when they get the 1st) for the first pet.

Out of interest though, whats at 50bow? Remember there was one point when people only went 39 or somthing like that (and yes, when it coems to patch notes i skim over everything except the stuff that directly relates to me :rolleyes: )

D

Driwen

there are caps at every summon/charm pet spell and the last one at 32 for the instapet/animals and 35 for insects is lvl 41, if you dont go for 32 bc you wont have a blue con pet (you wont even have a green con pet I think). So going missing out on bc means you will have a weak pet which can be killed easier than usual and will miss more (dunno if misses also interupt and if lvl has anything to do with interupt).

Ow and penetrating arrow only works on people who didnt cast the BT on them themself. So it will work on a BT that has been casted by somebody else and it will work vs pbt aslong as you dont hit the person who gives the pbt. However it wont work on self casted BT (which most casters have on them) and it wont work on the caster of the PBT.
So penetrating arrow allthough useful, isnt that great if you duo or solo as you will mostly be hitting solo'ers duo'ers and those wont have a BT casted on them nor have PBT running for them. However it is nice when you get into groups or when you jump into a group fight.

Archeon going higher bow for damage is rather pointless, if you see the pet as useful. As you wont gain much damage from going over 50 modified bow, but now after 1.62 you will get penetrating arrow II (75% damage through BT) on 40, III on 50 (100% damage through BT) and rapid fire II on 45 (less end usage than RF I). You will also get a slightly higher weaponskill which helps versus evade/block.
But you either give up some spear weaponskill and damage, stealth or BC. So without the new goodies most people didnt see it as wise and now most people dont see it as wise to go above 45 bow, but that is with a pet.

Now Ironfoot I like my pet, but it has its limited use. Going 37 stealth is rather high I would think, if I would go for high bow and spear. I would probably go for 50 bow, 44 spear, 36 stealth and 9bc.
I would actually go for 35 stealth, but 35 stealth wont give you enough points to do anything extra useful with BC and spear is high enough. So 1 less stealth and you have a slight speed buff and a slightly higher pet.

S

Sleip

Considering the pet does 50-100 dmg when it actually hits It's worth speccing 32 bc. It differs alot with armor on the target etc but it is still a great dmg add. And in my opinion the pet makes the hunter, without it you will be like a gimped ranger (Without the dual wield and dmg add). There are many uses of the pet not only interruption.

I think you should specc:

35 Stealth
32 BC
40 Bow
44 Spear

When you are higher realmrank you might consider lowering stealth and bow for some better melee dmg, because you want to be able to beat assasins 1vs1 :)

D

Driwen

Originally posted by Sleip
When you are higher realmrank you might consider lowering stealth and bow for some better melee dmg, because you want to be able to beat assasins 1vs1 :)

Dont lower the bow :p, you wont gain more out of it than you lose with 44 spear. Besides you might want to have penetrating arrow II and you wont stand much of a chance in a 1vs1 melee fight vs an equal RR assassin.

A

Archeon

Originally posted by driwen
Dont lower the bow :p, you wont gain more out of it than you lose with 44 spear. Besides you might want to have penetrating arrow II and you wont stand much of a chance in a 1vs1 melee fight vs an equal RR assassin.

Reminds me of the time i blurted out

"Gah! I've been penerated!!!!" in guild chant when some high lvl mob popped my bubble. :)

S

Spix

I had
50 bow
44 spear
34 stealth
rest bc

But I respeced to

41 bow
44 spear
34 stealth
32 beastcraft
and dont regret it one second, I have had alot of different spec through the patches and this simply feels best.

I belive the pet is the thing that separate the hunter from the other archers and it add so much I cant even think not having it.
Nothing beats a good infiltrator kiting session. Either they have to try kill the pet and get killed by hunters bow or pet kills them the slow way, its such a joy feeling every time you get the distance.
41 bow or 50 bow does not make much difference, about 100 weaponskill more when fully buffed , and that does not make up for the 50 - 150 extra damage that a lvl 41 dog provides in melee.
And dont forget the interupt and tracking down stealther bonus. Put pet on aggressive and doggie will attack anyone coming close to him, perfect to park in mmg, close to climb spots etc and wait for it to pop enemy stealthers that get to close.

The Pet and the Speed shout is beastcraft line and I feel they are worth the spec points more then RF2 and PA3.

G

Gregstah

Originally posted by Sleip

Just get TS :clap:

S

Shaurr

ONe side argues that the pet is worth it, other that it isn't, in the end it all comes down to what you like. You get kills and get killed no matter if you got a wolf with you or not. Do what you think is best.

K

kameh

Your spec is fine until you get a high realm rank and realise that having over 50 in any skill is fairly pointless. the extra damage is negligable, extra stealth? fairly useless and your giving up an ace buff/pet line for that.

You also have to look at it from a class perspective, the Hunter is the most flexible archer in DAOC because of the pet, scouts and rangers would love to have something similar so going without it your reducing your flexibility. Without the pet your basically a scout, without shield, worse evade, worse bow damage (regardless of how high you train it) and average at best melee damage. Hunters are the only stealth class in the game that can cast a pet.. remember that.

If you want to go without a pet I'd seriously consider making a scout or ranger instead, it's the class defining ability.

Only my opinion of course :) it's just a very, very handy ability.

I have to admit though, I'm a fan of diversity. I'll applaud you if you go ahead without beastcraft but I think you'll have less fun if you do.

K

katzeyez

My hunter is now level 44 and is also going the no BC route.

Spec will be

36 Stealth
50 Bow
44 Spear
9 BC

Gives me the second pet, 50 steath at RR3, 2nd to last spear style and best bow damage. Gonna give it a go, see if it works.

However, if it all goes horribly wrong I shall drop stealth to 35, and bow to 45 and go 25 BC...gives me the second to last pet and 3rd speed shout. If that doesn't work will go the normal hunter template...and if that doesn't work I shall just label myself the gimpest of the gimp and retire. :)

D

Driwen

Originally posted by Silenzio
100+ hitting pet

not bad ...

50-100 damage and that is when it hits ;). A good damage add is better for extra damage in a 1vs1 fight :p. However it does interupt and gives you the ability to kite, but its damage alone isnt something to be jumpy about.
Besides DW'ers get the same extra damage from DW'ing (melee spec+DW is probably more damage than 2handed spec+pet for the hunter :p and that is when the pet would hit all the time ;)).

K

kameh

nothing like setting the pet on an infi and running away, infi chasing you and his health slowly vanishing into the jaws of a puppy :) he stops - you stop and shoot, he keeps going - puppy has dinner :)

Not uber, but it's nice to have at least one friend in DAOC you can count on ;)

S

Silenzio

Originally posted by driwen
50-100 damage and that is when it hits ;).

as n inf thos pet rlly annoy me alot...
and if well used give hunter a good advantage rlly...

39/44 spear is kinda a must...

id say bow higer as u can (since im an archer fun)

32 bs for last insta pet... ad good boost...

stealth over 30

rest will do the bb :)

D

Driwen

Originally posted by Silenzio
as n inf thos pet rlly annoy me alot...
and if well used give hunter a good advantage rlly...

yes but if you want to trio with three hunters or play in non stealth groups for some reason. You might want to leave the pet just as grey con and then get more damage.

K

kameh

Don't know imagine 4 dogs eating an inf, hell you lot could have a picnic as they munch on him :)

D

Driwen

Originally posted by kameh
Don't know imagine 4 dogs eating an inf, hell you lot could have a picnic as they munch on him :)

you could actually buff the pets then :p

L

luin

I agree that diversity in DAoC classes makes it a lot more fun
My hunter is:
48 bow
35 stealth
35 spear
34 BC

I dont know of any other hunters who have that spec, its nice cos i get the final speed which is extreamly usful. I modifyed my template when i heard about PA and RF so i had more bow, maybe ill lower it a couple of points in favour of stealth if i happen to syumble across a respec stone.....

I think that a hunter with no BC is just a shit scout or ranger....remember Hunters have the worst bow range and power so if you dont like the pet go to alb and make a scout, that way you benefit from a high bow spec.

I would reallly like to see a 50 spear 50 BC hunter....I think that would be good fun :D
If you got a spare 10p (or 6 hours and a bit of luck) then respecc for a weekend, would be a laf :)

M

marczje

Tihi gimps ;x

Go either
45 bow
39 spear
32 bc
35 stealth or

41 bow
44 spear
32bc
34 stealth

.. i got upper spec, and it suits me fine..

//edit : typo

K

kathal_tdd

Originally posted by luin
My hunter is:
48 bow
35 stealth
35 spear
34 BC
You are joking right??
If not you are a confirmed n00b. Sorry, but you are.
First of all its imposible to make that spec(Not enough points).
Secondly you have 48 bow. LOL what are you gaining from the 3 points over 45???
35 spear?? Have you even checked what styles you have and what you are missing?? The last spear style you have is 34, then why 35?? btw 39 spear is a must.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

<-<-< 40 bow, 35 stealth, 44 spear, 32 BC >->-> is THE hunter spec

40 bow because the RF you got here is good enough if you got a few end pots with you and PA is a but overrated(I know its bugged atm.)

35 stealth because you only need 5o and the last 15 can be gained from SC set + rr.

Spear 44 bacause of the uber back style stun and the "multi bonus, low fatigue folowup" style.

32 BC because the lvl 41 pet IS a must. You really dont need the extra 10 sec speed you get from the lvl 34 speed shout. When you use it you are either interupted or stealthed. 40 sec speed is enough.

K

kameh

Flaming someone because they spec differently? that's a little sad in my book. Let him pay his money and spec his character as he wants, we don't all go for cookie cutter templates. His template isn't bad, it'll still work fine. He might not be "uber" in your opinion but then again he's not asking for your approval.

If we all spec'd the same why on earth do they give us the choice to choose. :rolleyes: My hunter spec is probably as bad as you can get but then again it has remained unchanged for over a year, its works and unlike most hunters I don't use a buff bot in RvR and I solo RvR. Seriously leave the guy alone, he wants that template, fair enough. I applaud him for having the balls to be different from the mass hunters.

Remember your spec isn't THE hunter spec, it's ONE of them and I know an awful lot of hunters that would never spec like that.

K

kathal_tdd

LOL. You focused a LOT on that one sentence :rolleyes:
Did you see the rest?? I actualy explained WHY the spec is gimped. Hell its like specing 38 Hammer, 38 Sword, 38 Axe as a skald.
Mele points: Focus on the styles.
Stealth should be 50. (easy without spending lots of points(35 and maybe respec at a high rr)
BC get what you make you stand out. What will win fights. 32BC IMO.
Bow: Focus on the abillitys you get. ...., 40, 45, 50. +4 bow wont win ANY fights so its a waste.

Try to read my post again. Think you only read 1 of 13 sentences.

Ohh and btw. 48 bow, 35 stealth, 35 spear, 34 BC is NOT his spec. Maybe he hit the wrong key or remembered wrong because thats not posible.

Z

zmurf

Maybe u disagree in his way to spec, but no reason to degrade him, and ur in no position to call his spec gimped, sure u might think it is, but as it is HIS character his opinion is really all that matters ... If all looked at this game like u, we would have no inviduality at all, and that would be borring as hell ...

Remember speccing my sb, was told it was gimped as hell spec, and now it's fotm, back then i was first maybe second to spec that way, u never know, his spec might end up same way (highly doubtfull, cause as u say it's not possibly, but u get the point, hopefully) ...

K

kameh

Originally posted by kathal_tdd
LOL. You focused a LOT on that one sentence :rolleyes:
Did you see the rest?? I actualy explained WHY the spec is gimped. Hell its like specing 38 Hammer, 38 Sword, 38 Axe as a skald.
Mele points: Focus on the styles.
Stealth should be 50. (easy without spending lots of points(35 and maybe respec at a high rr)
BC get what you make you stand out. What will win fights. 32BC IMO.
Bow: Focus on the abillitys you get. ...., 40, 45, 50. +4 bow wont win ANY fights so its a waste.

Try to read my post again. Think you only read 1 of 13 sentences.

Ohh and btw. 48 bow, 35 stealth, 35 spear, 34 BC is NOT his spec. Maybe he hit the wrong key or remembered wrong because thats not posible.

Oh I read it, not it it made a lot of sense of course. The first 5-6 lines were you calling him a noob and telling him his "proposed spec" is crap. One sentence? perhaps you should go back and read your own post? ;)

His spec may well be possible if he's thinking that he can auto train or possibly it's a typo - 34 BC when he meant 32. Either way I say let him spec like that, hell I play a worse spec'd hunter and do fine when I can be bothered to RvR :D

You totally missed the point anyway so here it is in bold:

It's his character, if you wants to spec differently then leave him be!

Get that this time?
Alrighty then! :D

K

kathal_tdd

Originally posted by kameh
Oh I read it, not it it made a lot of sense of course. The first 5-6 lines were you calling him a noob and telling him his "proposed spec" is crap.
I would like you to quote those 5-6 lines.

First post:
Originally posted by Ironfoot
Question to all you hunters out there

I got a lv 41 hunter and I was thinking of going

50 bow
44 spear
37 stealth

I have access to 47 aug MotA 3 shammy buffs

is a hunter with no BC viable ? or should i seriously think of going to 32 bc for the insta pet ?
As you can see Ironfoot ask about hunter spec. 95% of my posts are about THAT.
Originally posted by marczje
Tihi gimps ;x

Go either
45 bow
39 spear
32 bc
35 stealth or

41 bow
44 spear
32bc
34 stealth

.. i got upper spec, and it suits me fine..

//edit : typo
It seems the word gimp is ok and n00b is not. Guess I should have called him a gimp instead. Ohh and there is one more claiming his spec is uber. Bah who does he think he is? /Sarcasm off.

Omg ppl. Don't you have anything constructive to post??
Hope it helped Ironfoot and luin I hope you are not hurt about my comment. I just spoke out my mind.

And for all that don't think the spec I posted is THE spec, OFC. its my view on THE spec. I thought it was obvious :rolleyes:

K

kameh

As requested:

Originally posted by kathal_tdd
You are joking right??
If not you are a confirmed n00b. Sorry, but you are.
First of all its imposible to make that spec(Not enough points).
Secondly you have 48 bow. LOL what are you gaining from the 3 points over 45???
35 spear?? Have you even checked what styles you have and what you are missing?? The last spear style you have is 34, then why 35?? btw 39 spear is a must.

As far as being constructive goes I think my posts are some of the best, I actually praise people for being different and not FOTM. Half of your post is about telling him how piss poor his spec is and how ace, uber and great yours is - that's constructive? :m00:

Suggest we agree to disagree like adults before this becomes even more silly than it is. I don't mind arguing with you but your a mid and I don't want to start us flaming each other when there's a lot of enemies to do that to ;)

Users who are viewing this thread