Nice spec for a thrust Scout

M

Madonion Slicer

Was going to spec my scout as follows and wanted any advice you care to offer on the subject no a scout expert in anyway, it is a Scaracen so i thought slash was a bad idea.

50 Bow
42 Sheild
34 Thrust
20 Stealth

Thanks.

B

Bellona

20 stealth... aint that abit low? u will die like 9/10 times to sb/ns zerg depending where you are going

M

Madonion Slicer

Yep the low stealth is an issue for sure, but then i either have to have a crappy weapon skill or loose slam.

Another questions whats DF like for a scout anyone know a scout with lower sheild spec but has DF.

Thanks for the replies.

S

Silenzio

lower trust ..,

slam ppk and crit em with bow...

u only need bear tooth...

yess ther was a couple ov scout with df...

dont know if they sold account or not... but were doin pretty nice

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Recent findings have showed that weaponskill affects your chance to land slam (it has no to-hit ratio, a real bitch to land with 29 slash I find).
In this case, going 29 thrust would seem to make more sense, as weaponskill is higher.
Going 50 thrust will give you dragonfang, and the higher weaponskill will make you evade more (this is what I have read, not 100% sure on it though). Still I find 42 shield and 29thrust/slash the best option. You will never ever melee an sb or ns to death.
I have 45 bow, 42 shield, 29 slash, 34 stealth. High stealth helps a lot improving your survival rate, below 45 means even a group will have a pretty easy time finding you. 50 means an sb or ns won't find you either too easily.

Some kind of stun is vital for a scout. Just had a fight with an SB. It attacked me, I slammed her, ran through her, critted her for 900hp, and still have to use IP.
Would have even died if an inf did not help me in the end. Walked away with 25% hp...
I doubt you will do much better melee damage with a 50 weaponskill though, not enough to make up for the lower bow for sure.
I rather miss one hit than one shot :)
Regards, Glottis

L

leoric

I was going to try and lower shield and use Beartooth with high attack bonus aswell (Stun off block) But lowering shield means less blocking I believe, But Scouts still block alot. Havnt tried it yet so this is just a suggestion. :)

S

Silenzio

beartooth allow u to shot only regular or rp ...
no cirt shot...

L

leoric

Originally posted by Silenzio
beartooth allow u to shot only regular or rp ...
no cirt shot...

I dont usually stand around long enough too find out :)

B

belth

Originally posted by Glottis_Xanadu
the higher weaponskill will make you evade more (this is what I have read, not 100% sure on it though).

It's a comparison between opponents weaponskill and your evade.

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Originally posted by belth
It's a comparison between opponents weaponskill and your evade.

Thanks.
Still would mean that in a fight versus an SB you will evade more as your thrust weaponskill will be higher than his slash weaponskill. And being debuffed does not affect thrust nearly as much as slash.
Regards, Glottis

P

Pin

Originally posted by Glottis_Xanadu
Thanks.
Still would mean that in a fight versus an SB you will evade more as your thrust weaponskill will be higher than his slash weaponskill. And being debuffed does not affect thrust nearly as much as slash.
Regards, Glottis
nope

T

Tootz

Some nice posts here on scouts:

http://forums.barrysworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=82590&highlight=scout+spec

In my opinion, you need 30 stealth as a absolute minimum, otherwise you're just going to be picked off by NS and SB all the time.

I'd also say that going anymore than 45 in LB is a waste as the days of the sniper scout are long gone and the only reason i'd go so high with LB is because of the higher rapid fire that uses less end - if you're not fussed about using rapid fire then maybe leave LB at 40.

I

ilum

My scout is specced 46 longbow, 42 shield, 35 stealth, 29 slash. It's a decent spec I think, but I'm gonna respec to thrust.

While slash is nice in stealth wars vs SBs, thrust means more weaponskill. It also means than when you get str/con debuff your weaponskill also doesnt go to hell.

Plus I have bane in my vault and wouldnt mind using it.

T

Tharion

My spec is:

45 LB
50 Thrust
35 Stealth
8 Shield

It's very nice, just hit 50 last weekend so havn't really had the time to hill so many yet.
But to be a succesful DF scout you need a BB.
Dmg is good in melee.

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Originally posted by ilum
Plus I have bane in my vault and wouldnt mind using it.

I wouldn't mind "borrowing" it :)
Regards, Glottis

L

loxleyhood

Excalibur is all stealthzerg. You're going to want to be able to get 50 total stealth.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

nm...someone already suggested it! :(

Bitch. :(

M

Madonion Slicer

lol Sissy, i saw your post before i noticed it above so you get the credit ;)

Will probably go that way to.

C

Cashandcarry

Hmm - there is a fair amount of mis-information in this thread it seems to me, as well as some very valid advice.

My input (based on being a RR6 scout).

Longbow - You get 50 longbow if you want Penetrating Arrow 3 - this gives you maximum damage when breaching bladeturn. This is useful when zerg leeching (of course I would never do that!) and when in guild groups.

At 45 longbow you get the last Rapid fire level.

The choice is yours as to how much bow damage you want to do. There is a strong case arguing that 50 is too high and provides diminishing returns for the cost outlay, but I personally have gone all the way to 50 as its my primary skill and I use it ALL the time.

Shield – IMO there is not really an effective alternative to having at least 42 shield (slam). The ability to “TRY” to any time stun an opponent is too useful in all situations to pass up. I say at least 42 because I’m experimenting with 50 shield. This gives maximum block rate and provides a much lower endurance stun off block (Brutalise at 50).

Before the spread of endurance potions all scouts would agree that trying to land slam obliterated your endurance bar. Its not quite so bad now, but its still pretty bad especially as the chances to land slam often appear to be pretty slim, particularly against high-evade characters. I personally prefer to brutalise.

In addition damage with the shield as your primary weapon has been better than any thrust spec I have tried (39, 25 and now 18). To be honest with an MP Long Dirk I have always been hideously disappointed with my damage output – especially compared to rangers/hunters in melee. (imo this needs addressing).

Thrust – As I mentioned above I have 18 thrust. My only concern is the rumours above that my main hand weaponskill affects my chances to land shield styles. I may have to consider dropping bow skills to improve thrust. I find that unless you have the SIDI scout weapons our melee damage is poopy, and not to be relied upon. Other scouts say its not too bad – maybe Im doing something wrong.

Stealth – difficult one. Needed to avoid non-stealthers and stealthers – two very different skills. The former can be achieved with the 20 stealth base spec if you pick your travel routes in busy areas a little more carefully. I personally have 22+16 stealth and maybe get exposed by a FG/non-stealther once every 4 or 5 days – tbh not a problem. Stealthers – well pretty much any alb infil I come across takes the piss out of how poor my stealth is, however since the See Hidden nerf it really does nt feel like I get popped by SBs any more often than I used too. OK sure – if there is a stealth zerg at MGs then its tough to get through etc – but that’s no difference to before. Loxleyhood is right that if you want to avoid the stealth-zerg get 50 stealth. I quite enjoy being popped by an sb to be honest – have a bit of a scrap – win some lose some – all in the name of fun. Obviously if it’s a 3 or 4 on 1 pop then get those portal neckies ready and try again.

I think the most balanced spec I have read is 46 bow, 42 shield, 33 stealth and 29 melee. Can’t really pick any faults with that. (FYI Im 50 bow, 50 shield, 22 stealth and 18 thrust).

Feel free to correct/question any of the above – and I’d love to hear from higher ranked scouts as to their thoughts. (and for that matter sbs/ns/hunters/rangers etc)

K

K0nah

50stealth rocks.

with 45 or less assasins will spot u easily and have plenty of time to line u up for that juicy PA chain. even without see hidden.

K

K0nah

Originally posted by Cashandcarry
Obviously if it’s a 3 or 4 on 1 pop then get those portal neckies ready and try again.

with 38stealth i'm not surprised u gather a crowd ;)

N

nightsorrow

50 bow, why not 45;o

not that youl notice much difference even with penetratingstuf

V

vandar

I posted this previously on my guild forum....

-----------------
This will only really be useful to people leveling scouts or who have 50 scouts.
I know a few people who've levelled up their scouts to find they don't live up to expectations.

I'm going to change the spec of mine and here is why.

At the moment he is:

Stealth 35
Longbow 50
Thrust 18
Shield 42

Obviously got 42 for slam, 50 longbow to do the maximum damage possible and to get the full damage penetrate arrow.
As for realm abilities I got longshot and volley, first aid 2 and started saving for IP.

Got it all wrong in my opinion.

a) My damage with bow is not great and most opponents will nuke me from a distance or melee me easily without a bot.
b) Slam hardly ever lands, I use my endurance up trying. The purpose being to then wip out the bow and let off 2 arrows before it wears off. Even if I do manage to land slam I can generally only get 1 shot off as I have a bleed or a dot based poison cycling.
c) As for the shield, my blocking doesn't work well as most of my opponents are duel wielders and hence my chances to block are halved.
d) Having such low thrust my damage variance is wild when I do melee and the only anytime style I have is puncture.
e) Volley is useful in keep takes and defence but little use apart from that. I used to volley the doors of the xmg's before I went through but even if I did hit some sb/ns they would have mates and I'd die anyway.

So....here goes at a new spec.

Stealth 35
Longbow 42
Thrust 50
Shield 18

Realm abilities going for first aid and IP, then Dodger and mastery of blocking (obviously with the pre-requisite aug qui and dex).

And here's why:

a) Get dragonfang style at 50 thrust which has its own 9s stun. Dependant upon the evade though :(
b) If I do actually block (hopefully 6% from mob2 will make a difference) 18 shield has a stun style.
c) Longbow will do only slightly less damage, I'm guessing about 50 off the capped of just over 1000 and will not be that noticable. I will still get the 3/4 penetrate arrow but will miss out on the endurance saving rapid fire 2 but I hardly use RF neway.
d) Base melee damage should go up noticably to get up to 125% because of the 50 skill.
e) Ignore pain, keep me alive.

So basically the idea is this scout should beable to melee well aswell as still do good dmg with the bow.

This is all talking about a solo or very small group based spec. I don't think its the best for groups, but hey, how many scouts can get in normal groups.

I did think about 50 shield but as I struggle to land slam I didn't really see much point in going for brutalise.

Here was something else I thought of (all based on scouts lvl 3 evade):

0 shield and a base parry gives 23.3% combined
42 shield and a base parry gives 40.2% combined

but

18 shield, dodger 2 and mastery of blocking 2 gives 40% combined

Now obviously you could say well, 42 shield with dodger 2 and mob 2 would give even better but it only gives 49% combined and thats not a massive difference for all those extra points.
------------------------------------------
I changed to this spec now and much prefer it, still can't solo sb/ns in melee unless I get off an arrow or 2 before but do more dmg.
As for 42 bow, I haven't noticed any change in dmg.

+ I got Bane which is nice :)

To be honest, the best advice I can give you is get a bot.

R

-RG-Jaond

Anyone ever tryed to drop shield and try a higher wpn spec?

Insted of just trying to slam and run try to melee you enemy down after a few arrows in him?

N

nuitari

Well as Thari posted before:

Nautica has.

Thrust 50 +(12 for PVE)
Longbow 45 (+7)
Stealth 35 (+13)
Shield 8 (+13)

Works quite ok, still hard to say since my scout is low on RA's atm, getting IP then will go TS and then add to dodger and such.

Hard to evade against SB's/NS's but others you stun quite nicely with DF, Valewalkers are fun to slay.

K

K0nah

Originally posted by -RG-Jaond
Insted of just trying to slam and run try to melee you enemy down after a few arrows in him?

what? and have your 3 mates come up and pa me in the middle of the 'fight' ? no thx heh

we slam n run cos we know u wont be alone, or even if u are there will be another 'solo' sb/hunter close enuf to come finish it. i'm unbuffed 95% of the time too which hardly encourages me to duke it out with an rr7+ sb with 2x buffbots.

slam gets purged 9/10 anyway.

R

-RG-Jaond

Originally posted by K0nah
what? and have your 3 mates come up and pa me in the middle of the 'fight' ? no thx heh

we slam n run cos we know u wont be alone, or even if u are there will be another 'solo' sb/hunter close enuf to come finish it. i'm unbuffed 95% of the time too which hardly encourages me to duke it out with an rr7+ sb with 2x buffbots.

slam gets purged 9/10 anyway.

Just an idea :)

And mostly save my purge for infils ;)

And it's only 2friends I play with and most of the time just 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom