Help Newsgroups

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Im looking at getting into newsgroups and just looking for some advice

I know i need a news reader like newsbin or similar..

But what are the the best groups to look at for binaries and such .. its hard to establish from the 100k groups out there hehe

Some pointers in the right direction of those you use or such would be good thanks

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Most people don't browse the newsgroups manually to get the files they're after - as you can tell there are far too many groups and it's an absolute pain to search for.

Usenet downloading tends to involve NZB files, these basically list all the post IDs so that your client can download them. People upload NZB files to various sites, you download them and then get your client to download all the posts. It's a little bit like a .torrent file telling BitTorrent clients where to go, except that it tells your binary Usenet downloader to download from your server. A short tutorial is available here.

I'm not linking directly to any NZB sites (think that's a little bit too dodgy with FH rules), however I'm sure you can Google some yourself.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
cheers for that

whats the bestest reader around

any ideas ?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Personally I use SABnzbd on Linux, although I have used it on Windows and it seems to work.

alt.binz is okay, the last free version is still available although the UI is a bit poor - but it does download well. GrabIt is free and probably worth a try.

I haven't tried many others, so maybe someone else could recommend their favourite client? :p

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
My setup is like this:

Newzbin subscription for the searching and indexes.
Giganews subscription for the server access/bandwidth.
SABnzbd running in the background on my machine (Windows).
SABnzbdIcon greasemonkey script for Firefox.

The greasemonkey script makes it easier to pass the nzb from Newzbin over to SABnzbd.

I look for something through Newzbin, click on the link to download the nzb file to SABnzbd, SABnzbd automatically downloads all the required rar and par files, uncompresses them and saves the finished result in my downloaded folder.

I only have the $14 account on Giganews which is FAR more than enough for my needs. I also tend to renew my Newzbin subscription around Christmas time when there's a discount deal on usually. Speaking of which, Newzbin is invite only.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
aye newzbin is invite only .. wanna invite meh ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I also use Grabit, always have. Tried others and couldn't get used to them.

PM

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I remember when people uses NNTP for actually communicating with other humans.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
too m uch shite to wade thro to see actual communication hehe

Yaka

Part of the furniture
peh all the graphical apps mentioned. Hellanzb is the app worthy i use it on both linux and win7. you can use add a gui if you fancy some eyepr0n, tho its best as a cmd

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
peh all the graphical apps mentioned. Hellanzb is the app worthy i use it on both linux and win7. you can use add a gui if you fancy some eyepr0n, tho its best as a cmd
I used that for a while when I was dual-booting *nix and Windows. It works, but it isn't particularly informative. SABnzbd makes a point of being accessible and since it has a web-based frontend, you can access the download mill from any machine on the network and set off downloads on the one machine.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
think one of the hellanzb front ends do that, dont know what more info youd need apart from whats finished, unrared, time left,space left, gbs still to leech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom