Newsgroup help

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I've been using newsgroups for a while to download stuff but for over a month or so I've been finding a lot of files have been coming down incomplete - so much so that it's rare for me to be able to repair them with the Par files (which are also often damaged). I've ruled out the source by trying a second newsgroup provider (newsdemon and Tiger) and I've tried on 3 different PCs running 3 different OS's (XP, Vista and Win7) and all have the same problem. Also if I delete the downloaded files and open the same .nzb when they redownload, different files will be incomplete from the first time

I've noticed though that when I plug my cable modem directly into one of my PCs I don't have this problem which leads me to suspect my router is at fault. So I've tried replacing the router but I'm still getting the exact same problem so I'm thinking it must be a setting somewhere that's changed. (I'm using virgin media's 20mbs line)

Any ideas?

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
It's the internet gods trying to tell you that you suxxxxxxx Rulke!

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
You're an internet god and you've been saying that for years

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Use torrents?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
lolz @ torrents. dey iz for newbs innit!

Sorry. :\

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Direct Connect then?

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry should have mentioned that, I'm using Grabit and Newsbin already.

Left a DVD downloading last night with the modem directly connected (no router) and not one incomplete part. Then reopened the same nzb file when connected via the router and had 80% parts incomplete. Obviously it's a PITA swapping the cables around and restarting the modem/router all the time though

It's a brand new netgear wireless-g router thought :/

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Upgrade the firmware?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sorry Rulke but it's obviously something router related. Perhaps try downloading at less than 100% utilisation of your bandwidth. My old router used to hate torrents and the like until I set a 80% throughput cap, now it's fine all the time.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Hm, years ago when I was introduced to torrents (I was on a uni 100mb line) my hard drive didn't like having data written to it at those high speeds constantly while I was doing other things. Could this be a similar issue?

If you've got more than 1 drive how about downloading to that drive instead to see if it makes a difference?

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I've tried capping download speed by limiting the number of streams from the newsgroup and I've tried using bandwidth capping software on the PC - still have the same problem with files being incomplete.

I don't think it's the drive, i've tried on different PCs plus it works ok straight from the modem.

I'm wondering if it's an update to the router firmware that's caused it considering I never used to have this problem and both my routers I've tested have been Netgear ones. Dunno how to confirm that without splashing out on a different router though

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Could it be some QoS option on the router? Only thing I can think of :(

Try disabling it!

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
QOS? Don't see anything like that in the router options

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom