News about Excalibur and some other things.

freakyphil

Fledgling Freddie
Firstly a big hello to Erivoss,

I like many others are very thankful for you coming on here and giving us information. :D I think really the issue (besides the Excalibur crashes) has simply been the lack of information we have been receiving of late. We, as paying customers, hate being kept in the dark.

So many thanks again for the postings and the updates. Long may they continue!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

missedagain

Fledgling Freddie
heeloos erivoss

oooh a real live person wonderful
welcome

i only have one request log into odins about 8-9 pm if poss youll see why xcal crashes :clap: :p

Raes

Fledgling Freddie
/salute

tbh its just great to recieve some info (any info) on current and future events!

look forward to hearing from you on these forums (although that would mean somethings gone wrong) :eek7:

and welcome to FH

:cheers:

Plucky

Fledgling Freddie
More info is obviously going to be welcome but a stable server is the thing that's going to keep us all happy.

We all know that computers have problems but the way its been these last 5 days or so is a bit much.

Now we all know that if everyone had stayed on the server Saturday night Albion would have got the relics back, so can someone from GOA please set /relic to reflect that? :D

Anyway I wish you luck as we all know the bearer of bad news gets it in the ass, just try and offset the bad news with plenty of good and you'll survive.

Cami

Fledgling Freddie
Like most of the others i welcome you and your services. :cheers:

But why is this posted in the Excalibur section?

Wmv

Fledgling Freddie
Cami said:
Like most of the others i welcome you and your services. :cheers:

But why is this posted in the Excalibur section?
dont even try you prydwen boy, hes ours!!!!

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Hello

Welcome to FH.

Very nice to know that there will be somone to help out Zargar & Kemor, They probably do alot more that they get credit for by some people that play the game.

Thank you for putting your own time to benefit Me and others on the excalibur servers. :clap:

I wish you luck

Cal

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
/salute
Lo and welcome! :cheers:
I hope u got your flameproof suit ready and don't get burned! ;)
I also hope that this will change the utter lack of info that's been lately.
May Teh Cheese™ be with you! :D

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
glad to see that someone at GOA is actually doing something for a change!!
:cheers:
hopefully we can get the rest of the year in DAoC working correctly :D

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
vintervargen said:
Nerf df and savages plz french dude :D

Er, Savages are already GETTING a big fat nerf in patch 1.65...yes, yet ANOTHER Midgard nerf :(.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Svartmetall said:
Er, Savages are already GETTING a big fat nerf in patch 1.65...yes, yet ANOTHER Midgard nerf :(.

If savages were in albion they'd be nerfed there too...
They can't go around distributing nerfs equally across the classes - wouldn't balance much now would it :)

now nerf dragonfang so people can stop whining about it ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
A step in the right direction, nice to see that someone cares.

Caelath

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the info, and for making an extra effort without getting paid for it :clap:

[GOA]Erivoss

[GOA] Official type person
Latest official news:

http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=1671

Excalibur crashes - more information
[2004-7-01]

As promised here is the news about the recent crashes on Excalibur.

As you all may or may not know, Albion lost its three strength relics to the Midgardian horde several days ago. The leading figures of Albion swore that they would bring them all back by the weekend and have therefore launched multiple massive attacks to try and regain what they believe is their due.

Over the last few days, hundreds of Albions have been pouring into the Midgard frontier, attacking keeps, harassing the enemy and striving to achieve their goals. The Midgardian forces also consisting of huge armies have valiantly fought them all this time, striving to retake their keeps and attempting to keep the Albion armies at bay. Seeing its two enemies locked in desperate battle, the cunning Hibernians also decided to participate, by sending their forces into the fray.

Eventually, there were so many people in Midgardian territory that the very fabrics of space and time were torn, hurling everyone nearby into an inescapable void of nothingness. Space and time eventually corrected themselves and our brave warriors could once again walk the lands of their fair realms.

What happened exactly ?

To explain what happened, you need to understand how each server actually works. Each server (Excalibur, Prydwen etc) is not controlled by a single machine, but rather by a network of different servers each controlling a certain portion of the game, be it a specific series of zones for a realm, dungeons or RvR zones.

Gathering well over one thousand people in one zone (physical server) can overburden it, and can result in a crash. This in turn can result in all those people trying to log in at the same time, which puts extreme stress on the login servers. The login servers can in this process wrongly register an account as already logged in (ghosted accounts), which many players experienced last night. This is easily fixed by a reboot of both servers, which should normally happen automatically.

What will happen now ?

The hardware on the Excalibur server was upgraded recently and is just about top notch. While hardware upgrades may seem like the obvious solution, this is not an area where improvements would make much of a difference.

What we can improve though, is our response-time in the off hours, to make the impact of each crash smaller and reduce the instances of "ghosted accounts". This is something we are working on at the moment, and steps have already been taken that should reduce the downtime greatly. While reviewing the changes in our procedures, we will continue to make changes to improve the response-time to incidents similar to the ones we have seen these last few days.

On behalf of the GOA staff we sincerely apologize for the trouble you have experienced the last few days. Know that your woes and feedback do not go unheard.

Cyfr

Banned
OH MY GOD! GoA managed to hire someone who talks to the people! Erivoss you are our saviour :D

Go GOA (Did I just say that? :()

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
So what you are ultimately saying is despite the fact that there havent actually been that many people in the mid frontiers (we have had bigger fights which the server coped with) the server will still continue to crash and kick us all out every time albion attack - which will be every night... However we will be back in quicker.

So in fact we will just have to get used to having possibly 2-3 server crashes every night until albion take the relics back?

[GOA]Erivoss

A zone doesn't crash just because of the people who are fighting in it, it crashes because of the number of people over all and there has rarely been as many people in the same zone as these last few days.

[edit]: when I say zone I mean the frontier in general not a specific place like Uppland or Jamtland, as the whole frontier is controlled by one machine.

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
A zone doesn't crash just because of the people who are fighting in it, it crashes because of the number of people over all and there has rarely been as many people in the same zone as these last few days.

[edit]: when I say zone I mean the frontier in general not a specific place like Uppland or Jamtland, as the whole frontier is controlled by one machine.

Like BI said, there have often been much bigger fights in the Frontiers than the last few days... Last year before the upgrade, streams of LDs were almost a common occurance, then the servers were upgraded - weren't they upgraded to stop this happening?

RightNow tried to tell me that the LDs were because of the computer not handling the load - that's rubbish tbh - my computer is top notch, as is my connection... Someone was told the same thing, and as he pointed out - EVERYONES machine LD'd at the same time...

Kishih

Fledgling Freddie
Hi

While you are posting on the Goa page, could you also post about the free day we got. It is on the german news for some days, but still hasn't appeared on the english.

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Just read this from elder_theurgist over on BW - doesn't explain why Excal crashed:

Hi all

I thought that the resent crashes was because the servers simply have trubble handling the kind of load that we have put on excal the last cupple of nights.

But then I noticed this message on the prydwen news.

http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/...id_article=1621

Aparently the server didnt have any trubble hanling 800+ in alb zones, so there is a fair change that they will find the bug that is gettting the server down, and we can once again go zerg those mids down :)

Quib

Let's hope whatever is broke on Excal is easily fixed :D

bigmammas

Fledgling Freddie
Nice to see someone cares tbh. :cheers:

Any info is better than no info at all ;)

bigmammas

Fledgling Freddie
Didnt mean the above as negative to the information given now btw :wub:

Solarius

Fledgling Freddie
This is great to see. There was only two things that have bothered me about GOA and the handling of DAoC, and that is the lack of reasonable information and the apparent lack of any services (ie subs pages ect) at weekends.

Welcome Erivoss :)

Plucky

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
Latest official news:

http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=1671

Excalibur crashes - more information
[2004-7-01]

As promised here is the news about the recent crashes on Excalibur.

As you all may or may not know, Albion lost its three strength relics to the Midgardian horde several days ago. The leading figures of Albion swore that they would bring them all back by the weekend and have therefore launched multiple massive attacks to try and regain what they believe is their due.

Over the last few days, hundreds of Albions have been pouring into the Midgard frontier, attacking keeps, harassing the enemy and striving to achieve their goals. The Midgardian forces also consisting of huge armies have valiantly fought them all this time, striving to retake their keeps and attempting to keep the Albion armies at bay. Seeing its two enemies locked in desperate battle, the cunning Hibernians also decided to participate, by sending their forces into the fray.

Eventually, there were so many people in Midgardian territory that the very fabrics of space and time were torn, hurling everyone nearby into an inescapable void of nothingness. Space and time eventually corrected themselves and our brave warriors could once again walk the lands of their fair realms.

Was this bit written by Tony Blairs Spindoctor? Thats one hell of a spun view of an alarm clock rr. More like a gathering of Mids at 7am who sauntered their way to Castle Excalibur :D

[GOA]Erivoss

err... what?

That's describing the fighting that eventually led to the zone crash, nothing to do with an alarmclock raid (just says mids took the 3 relics before).

Candour

Fledgling Freddie
Welcome Erivoss :)

Nice to see you're getting on nicely with the job, may we have curry again soon :)

Candour.

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
Welcome and thanks for all the info Erivoss.

Hope too many people don't get you down ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom