New year, new forum...

Should DAOC Off Topic move?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Deebs; it's frankly silly that the most active section of the forum is buried in DAOC, when it has sod all to do with DAOC anymore. A few elitists insist it does, but they hardly post anyway.

It's silly that there is any tensions between General and OT when the most active posters are involved in both.

Move OT to the main page please.

DAoC died years ago, either get over it or nag Deebs to move Off-topic out of the DAoC forums as it doesn't really belong there anymore anyway. :p

Yep, ot should be on the main page

Long overdue, I know a few people are resistant but really it is time to move on and merge the community.

But isn't General the same as OT anyway?

Why don't the beard strokers just post in General and stop being such daylight fearers :eek:

*runs*

The problem exists on both sides to be fair Trem as some people just don't want to mix with new people, best compromise is to move OT out into the main forum and let both exist but allowing OT to grow without the stigma of DAoC. Eventually both communities will mesh and we won't need two forums for the same job, yes General is pretty much the same as OT but I think OT has always been a bit more random and free for people to express themselves. Personally I just see alot more benefit from one intergrated community than having a splintered setup like we do now where many people never see each others posts regardless of how good they are or how much they might have in common.

Too many elitist twats on both side (more on OT simply due to the higher number of posters).

It is ridiculous when the same thread has to be made in two places to get opinions from different sets of people ON THE SAME FORUM.

Deebs: Sort it out, fuck what people think, just move OT to the main page. It has no reason to be buried in daoc or the mmo sections.

I find the whole OT vs General thing very silly but some of the more squawkish like to persist with it.

100% in agreement, New Year comming and time for a change. Move OT to main board, in 12 months time merge OT and General. Those who don't like it need to grow up or bugger off.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
If this was a democracy it would get my vote. Sadly it is a facist dictatorship run by a decendant of Mussolini and Julius Caesar <cue big nose jokes!>. :D

JingleBells

FH is my second home
I agree, it would stop duplicate threads too which is really annoying!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Well, the thing is, the general forum is slowing up aint it? Why? Because there's little new blood, just the odd name falling off every so often.

In the old days people came to Barrysworld because of the servers, and they posted in the CS section (for example) about CS, then posted other random stuff in the general forum. Now of course there arnt and havent been any servers for donkeys years so it's hardly suprising things get quieter.

The same is true for the OT section in DAoC (I expect). But as DAoC is a lot newer than Barrysworld, theres far more people there.

It would probably be a good thing to merge them.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
See Deebs, even the two sourest members of the forum (love you both, kisses x) think they should be merged.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If OT becomes general who cares it's the same thing anyway just split into two for no reason other than a bacon deficiency in a few OTers.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
If OT becomes general who cares it's the same thing anyway just split into two for no reason other than a bacon deficiency in a few OTers.

I would put it to you, Sir, that it is the generaliteers who are even more deficient of bacon!

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
id say no. theres nothing wrong with the way it is. No offence to General but OT and General have completely different attitudes, general is alot more serious and alot quieter than OT. Im sure General lot wouldnt want us all in there and may push them away.

So my vote is leave it well alone, it doesnt matter where it is as we all have it bookmarked anyway

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I would put it to you, Sir, that it is the generaliteers who are even more deficient of bacon!

I have a plentiful bountious overflowing plurality of surplus bacon I assure you.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
id say no. theres nothing wrong with the way it is. No offence to General but OT and General have completely different attitudes, general is alot more serious and alot quieter than OT. Im sure General lot wouldnt want us all in there and may push them away.

So my vote is leave it well alone, it doesnt matter where it is as we all have it bookmarked anyway

Are you against moving out of DAoC forums and into the main trunk though?

throdgrain

FH is my second home

That cant be true, because I am general forum, and I invented bacon as I am sure you are aware :)

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Are you against moving out of DAoC forums and into the main trunk though?

Yeah i am voting against. This has came up every year for as long as i remember and everytime nothing happens and theres nothing wrong with that

I think merging will just push people away from both camps

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I pay little attention to where a thread is posted tbh - it seems quite random to me. Although now I think about it General has more Daily Mail fascists whereas OT seems to attract people who are more of the star trekist persuasion.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
I agree Ford. Both may have general chat but its different kinds of chat. General is more serious chats and OT is alot sillier.

I always get the impression General lot think OT come across a little childish

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Comprimise, rename general to be off-topic in the main forums, then merge! :)

Laddey

FH is my second home
Don't fix it if it isn't broken!

Agreeing with Sparx :)

But seems ok i guess to move OT out of DAoC forum! What would it be called though?!

leviathane

Part of the furniture
no need for a merge imo, however i'm open for moving OT to main pages. Afterall it is pretty much the unofficial ot for fh.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Doac is the reason we use off topic. Daoc brought us together. I think, although now tenuous the people that use it have a link.

Oh and, always hated the right wing bias and certain right wing posters in general, they truly make me sick. I for one would leave if we merged, or be banned in days.

No new forum. We had 1 game that brought us together. General, on the other had, just had a 'general' liking of the same games. Yes i feel special.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Interesting comments from both sides of the fence, I am not sure it would be a worthwhile excercise but what would be good is how we can bring new blood to the forums... Ideas anyone?

rynnor

Rockhound
No new forum. We had 1 game that brought us together. General, on the other had, just had a 'general' liking of the same games. Yes i feel special.

I think thats a rather artificial divide - many who now regularly post only in general started off coming here for Daoc - like me :p

As to getting new blood - can we find another decent game that we can become an official forum for?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I feel we should focus on the fact that we generally like to play (computer) games regardless of genre.

ofc I am aware that the average denizen of OT evolved from a close knit group of people who all, generally speaking again (no I do not use that word on purpose hehe) all played the same game, but still it is a game, and if you go back a bit games is why this forum is here in the first place.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Added a poll to the thread based on what I perceive the options to be....

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Interesting comments from both sides of the fence, I am not sure it would be a worthwhile excercise but what would be good is how we can bring new blood to the forums... Ideas anyone?

That is partly why we are raising the issue really bud, having the community split in 2 distinct camps that aren't interacting because of shit that happened 5 years ago really makes no sense. We are all gamers, society sees us all as sub-human anyway (especially Wazz and Bodhi!) so why are we further isolating ourselves from fellow gamers? It just doesn't make sense to me anymore, DAoC has been dead years and most of us are playing the same games at the general forumites.

To get new members you need to have a single STRONG community with a very active set of main forums, for that reason it makes no sense at all to have the busiest forum in OT buried away as a sub-forum of a dead game.

If people are resistant then compromise Deebs, put OT in the main forum trunk and at least the general forumites can drop in easily instead of having to go digging into a forum of a long dead game they couldn't give a shit about.

Personally I want to be clear on this, general forum users are ALWAYS welcome in OT and when they do chip in (Yoni as an example) they have and are going to be made welcome. General has always been a tougher forum than OT but I do feel part of the general community as well and would really like to see some of the barriers come down, it is long overdue that people got over themselves.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Doac is the reason we use off topic. Daoc brought us together. I think, although now tenuous the people that use it have a link.

Oh and, always hated the right wing bias and certain right wing posters in general, they truly make me sick. I for one would leave if we merged, or be banned in days.

If it was that easy to get banned howcome me and Bodhi are still here? Flawed. Yes throd is basically Moussssssilllllliiinnnnnniiii but he's a lovely version of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom