New system...

-=[U.D]=- Raverbaby

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all, just joined the forum and havent done much with my system for a while cos it was getting old, but im starting from scratch now and would like to know if the setup will be any good? on the way, i have....

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB
ATi Radeon Pro 128mb
Corsair twinx3200 LLPT 1024Mb RAM
Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 200GB HDD 8Mb buffer
Intel 865PE motherboard
Mitsumi 48x CD-RW
Matshita 12x DVD
Pikaone 4x External DVD-RW

Ive got a few questions, this is the first computer im building up myself and would like to know a couple of things, how do i overclock my system and by how much would you recommend? and the HDD is a UATA 133 but the mobo is ATA100/SATA150, will it not be compatible or will it just run at the ATA 100 speed? cheers guys

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
Firstly, which ATi Radeon card? They vary from 9000 - 9800, 9800 being very good and 9000 being stupidly pointless. IMO, you shouldn't get anything lower than an 9600.

As for ATA speeds, an ATA133 (UDMA6) hard drive will run at ATA100 (UDMA5) speeds on a motherboard which only supports ATA100 but it would be best to get a motherboard which supports ATA133.

-=[U.D]=- Raverbaby

Fledgling Freddie
the specs on the mobo say ATA100/SATA150 and also something about UDMA 33, what does that mean? is it a good thing or just another irrelevant piece of crap they've added ;) lol cheers for the help, i appreciate it, like i said i havent built a system before so ill see how it goes, i mean i can use this system for reference if i get stuck while assembling it so it shouldnt be too bad, my only worry is when it comes to initializing it and going through BIOS, is it simple to understand?

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
As far as I know ATA100 is equal to UDMA5, ATA133 is UDMA6 I belive they are the same thing (someone please correct me if i'm wrong)

As for the bios, your motherboard will come with a manual which tells you what the functions do. Most of them are simple to understand. If you look at your current bios you should be able to see that it's quite straight forward :)

-=[U.D]=- Raverbaby

Fledgling Freddie
Im using the drives from my old system, i only had a CD RW and a DVD drive, no DVD writer and so i bought an external for £100 does the job, and while im waiting i can copy disc images from my normal DVD drive

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom