New system?

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I'm sorry for a new thread, I'm sure there has been plenty of these in the past, but would like confirmation/help/advice and just general re-assurance on a system I'm about to purchase!

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...95W+G0+Stepping+(Retail+775)+?productId=28356

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...+iP45+Socket+775+Motherboard+?productId=32296

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...adeon+HD+4850+512MB+PCI-E2.0+?productId=32374

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...a+III+Quiet+Super+Mini+Tower+?productId=28369

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...-6400+Platinum+Vista+(2x2GB)+?productId=32243

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...+HD321KJ+Spinpoint+T166+16MB+?productId=32411

Like I said, I'm happy building the pc myself, I just get so confused about all the numbers and letters, I really can't tell if it all go'es okay together etc.

I'm looking to spend around £500~
Also, £50 for OEM Vista64x Home Premium?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Pikeh

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Kryt will be along shortly to offer sound advice

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Kryt will be along shortly to offer sound advice

Ahh yes, all this thread needs is a quick snuggle in Kryts warm bosom of Techie knowledge!
Thanks Deebs :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'd prefer it if my ample bosom was left out of this!

It'd also be nice if any of those links worked ;)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
yes it would!
brb!

/edit edited first post :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Motherboard, P5Q-E - Sound choice, rock solid performer. You could save a little money by going with a P5K-E instead, it's an older version but as we're at the end of the line with this processor socket, you won't notice any difference nor will it affect upgradability. CPU support is identical between the models.

Core2Quad Q6600: Great choice but as mirrored before, are you going to use the 4 cores? Unless you're gaming, I'd chop that for the e8400 Core2Duo chip for a little less cash and a little more performance.

Radeon 4850 : Don't need to say anything about that, it's a damned good card for a great price.

Sonata III : Popular case, it's a matter of taste though. I quite like them :) Supplied power supply is a decent quality and plenty powerful enough. In fact that's a nice price for the pair.

4gb OCZ Platinum: Got this set myself, and for £55 can't really go wrong. If you do decide to save money on motherboard and processor it might be worth looking at 8. It might be overkill really, but at these prices...

320gb Samsung Spinpoint : Nice drive, but a little more money and you can get a larger capacity Samsung drive from the F1 range. Might be worthwhile doing that instead of the 8gb ram actually.

But all in all, it's there and it'll all work together nicely with no issues. You might want to invest in a 3rd party cooler, the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 is a very popular choice, better than the stock 'sink and only around 15 quid.

Just typed in the product ID's from your original post in case I beat you to posting a fix ;)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Thankyou so much kryten!
I've taken the Quad out and replaced with the e8400, Weirdly, its about a pound more expensive, but alas I will not be hardcore gaming on this.
I couldn't find a P5K-e on Aria either!

The rest of the stuff I have mostly, add a generic DVD drive to it. Got a mouse, a 22" widescreen monitor, a keyboard lying around somewhere

Also, I dont have the slightest clue on coolers!
I'll take a look at the one you suggested.
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...Arctic+Cooling+Freezer+7+PRO+?productId=20729

That one?

Thanks!

/edit and another stupidly newbish question.
Will I be able to access Wireless with this setup or do I need some fangled card in there for that as well?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you'll prolly need a wireless card (better) or a usb wireless dongle (cheaper). I have the latter and have always worked well with it (only Vista has no idea what it is so I always need a driver on a usb key somewhere)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
you'll prolly need a wireless card (better) or a usb wireless dongle (cheaper). I have the latter and have always worked well with it (only Vista has no idea what it is so I always need a driver on a usb key somewhere)

Thanks very much
my current desktop has been connecting via a USB dongle I got free with my BT hub, but might just buy a card if its gonna be a tad faster

Kryten

Old Cow.
Grab a netgear card if possible, will make life a little easier for you, avoid Belkin etc.

Sorry, got tied up with baby for a while :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yeah that will work fine, it's a decent price. Got one myself although it's redundant - I've a P5K-E with wifi built in.

However, a PCI-Express one might be a bit more convenient.
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Per...reless+54+Mbps+PCI-E+Adapter+?productId=26219
would be a fair example at a very good price.

Saying that it might be wise to step up to a faster one, but it can only go as fast as your router will allow. Should you decide to do so, either to futureproof yourself a bit in case of a new router in future, or you've already got the hardware, something like:
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Per...-F+108M+wireless+PCI+Adaptor+?productId=27285

The manufacturer isn't too much of a problem, it's the chipset they use you want to watch out for. The Atheros based cards (like that Netgear you pasted or the latter one in my case) are fairly good.

Might want to get some more recommendations though. It will also help if you can match the manufacturer of your router to that of the card - i.e. if you've a netgear router stick with a netgear card. Not always possible but can help reliability.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
A thousand reps to you once again Kryt. Will order all the stuff tomorow, and go shopping for a keyboard and generic DVD drive!

:drink:

Helme

Resident Freddy
I'm gonna echo Kryten's advice, especially on the E8400 - it's better in games and runs alot cooler too, only place you'll really notice a difference with Quads is during video decoding.

Oh and get a generic DVD burner, at least here in Sweden just a normal DVD player is actually more expensive as they don't produce them anymore it seems :p

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I'm gonna echo Kryten's advice, especially on the E8400 - it's better in games and runs alot cooler too, only place you'll really notice a difference with Quads is during video decoding.

Oh and get a generic DVD burner, at least here in Sweden just a normal DVD player is actually more expensive as they don't produce them anymore it seems :p

Thanks Helme, went for the e8400 in the end.
Yeah I meant a dvd burner, they are all out of stock there so Ima head into town today and check em out!
Just ordered it all, Threw in a copy of Vista Home Premium 64x as well!

Helme

Resident Freddy
I hope the install goes smoothly then! and best of luck :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I hope the install goes smoothly then!

That sounds ominous! :p

Thanks for your help Helme, I believe you posted a similiar system a while ago, which was my inspiration for this one.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Nah it's just that computerparts can for some obscene reason decide not to work together, even if 200000 other people are actually using it already :p

And yeah, that has been my cookie cutter setup since the release of HD4850, I'm 1 month away from finally getting the mobo & CPU myself as I got the rest :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
I built a similar system last week same processor gfx and MB Family and it flys you will not be dissapointed.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
yey I can't wait.
I'm so impatient, I just phoned to change my delivery to tomorow!

I think my laptop is about to die completely :m00:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Saturday delivery! Extra 30 quid?

soze

I am a FH squatter
eBuyer Saturday delivery is about £12 only £2 more than next day.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Saturday delivery! Extra 30 quid?

Aria was £9 more!

/edit and I need my PC tomorow. I have a printing company waiting for t-shirt designs that have to be done on monday!

pikeh

Resident Freddy
just a quick update!

got the system parts at around 7:30 this morning, was very happy with the delivery, now everything is installed/updated and my new system absolutely flies!

thanks all for your help, just have to get a bit more used to vista!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom