New Slim PS3 - Europe gets bent over in the doody hole again.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
PlayTV may indeed rock now but at the start of PS3 it was to be integrated.

O Rly. Do you have an accurate source to backup that claim?

It's a European only piece of kit, so I don't understand why a Japanese company would design, build and lose a shitload of money on a PS3 unit built with integrated Freeview tuners that doesn't work in the USA or Japan.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Somewhere, but frankly not to hand. It being dropped was one of the reasons that in the end I didn't purchase a PS3.

old.user4556

You made a console choice based on the fact it never had twin freeview tuners?

As far as I am aware, there was never a plan to integrate freeview tuners into the PS3 because it wouldn't work in Japan or the USA, so Sony Europe released it as a (thankfully) optional add-on.

Edit: i should also note that the PS3 was launched end of 2006 and Play TV wasn't officially announced until Q3 2007.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not quite G. I didn't get it because they kept fucking around with the specs and they're still fucking around now. I'm more inclined to purchase one now with the slim because hopefully it'll just be the slim and stay the same and not change every 2 months. Only problem is, now I've got my 360 and a PS3 would basically end up as a blu-ray player and nothing more.

PS: Talk about history repeating itself: https://forums.freddyshouse.com/gam...s-lost-wii-xbox360-discuss-3.html#post3459643 lol :)

old.user4556

Both the 360 and PS3 are guilty of spec fudging. I agree, loss of backward compatibility is a poor, poor show for the PS2 crowd, but personally it's of no loss to me.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm not learning Japanese :p

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I'll be interested to hear how the slim one behaves, and also how straight forward it is to upgrade the hard drive.

Destructoid (lols, hate that site and pretty much everything they do...) reckon the slim is far quieter than the already quiet fat.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Is the big PS3 as noisy as the 360?

Well let's put it this way, one was a well designed piece of hardware, the other was made by Microsoft. In my time I have only seen one noisy PS3, which was left with fuck all ventilation so was to be expected, the rest have all been whisper quiet.

And it also has Wipeout HD (which is better than Fusion). And inFamous. So what exactly are you waiting for?

soze

I am a FH squatter
There are rumours that the slim will be upgraded soon with software BC but its just rumours and will stay that way until the old models are sold i think.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I kind of agree with DaG on this, I think the chunky looks better and I don't have to buy a seperate stand to have it upright, which I have to have to fit in my unit.

I won't rush out and buy another one thats for sure. I like the shiny of the big one.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The slim one looks a bit tacky I think big boys ftw.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I do not like the high gloss look tbh fingers prints all over it. If i can have one with no finger prints all the better :)

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Well i was waiting for a price drop for the ps3 but this slim malarky will do fine. In terms of aesthetics i couldn't really give a toss, the fat version is ugly and the slim is ugly.

It's on pre-order, roll on Tuesday :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Some people are saying shopto.net have shipped the ps3 already so delivery for Friday you've got to love em :)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Some people are saying shopto.net have shipped the ps3 already so delivery for Friday you've got to love em :)

Got an e-mail at 12.30 today saying its on it way and will be with tomorrow :clap: :clap:

Thanks soze once again for the heads up with shopto.net

Trem

Got an e-mail at 12.30 today saying its on it way and will be with tomorrow :clap: :clap:

Thanks soze once again for the heads up with shopto.net

Oh fuck me you didn't buy from shopto did you?

They are well known for selling consoles that aren't consoles they are in fact a cake made to look like a console....you got any birthdays coming up so at least you can use it?

Edmond

Oh fuck me you didn't buy from shopto did you?

They are well known for selling consoles that aren't consoles they are in fact a cake made to look like a console....you got any birthdays coming up so at least you can use it?

Mmmmm............cake.............:m00:

Edmond

So...my slim PS3 arrives tomorrow, and as its not backward compatible:(:(:( i need to get a good game to get me going, now i'm not really into war ones, COD and so on

So i'm off to guildford tomorrow (need to get a new phone as i'm due an upgrade, and my one is dying on its arse) so was going to pop into GAME and get a couple of bargin ones that are maybe 6 months old

Any suggestions???

fanx

soze

I am a FH squatter
Uncharted Drakes Fortune and Rachet and Clank should both be Platinum and are both very good games.

Edmond

Ahh cool, is there a R & C for the PS3??

I have all the others on my PS2 and loved them, thanks (again) soze, i will look out for them

I love the platform games so much more than the war ones, things like Tomb Raider and stuff

soze

I am a FH squatter
There are 2 now Future Tools and then Quest for Booty a shorter game that continues the story.

I think Uncharted is like tomb raider in that its not all shooting there are puzzles as well though not as many as a tomb raider game

Edmond

'Quest for Booty' that one sound right up my street, Haa Haa

Trem

None of the above games will work on cake I'm afraid.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Ahh cool, is there a R & C for the PS3??

I have all the others on my PS2 and loved them, thanks (again) soze, i will look out for them

I love the platform games so much more than the war ones, things like Tomb Raider and stuff

MGS 4, probably the game to get a PS3 for the story,graphics,sound and gameplay blow most games away.

It's platinum as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom