New Roleplay guild

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
guild is formed as of last night, named Lloegyr Exiles

(Lloegyr being the part of UK the saxons controlled til arthur threw them out )

Lloegyr also closely resembles the welsh word Lloegr, which means england

so basicly our story goes about us being forced to leave Lloegyr by the albions..

(I am certain that more creative minds than mine will come up with stories relateing to our guild as we grow )

so far we´ve only established 2 "rules"

1) all /gu, /b and /s, MUST be in-char, /g /t and /c can be used for ooc conversations.

2) you need to have a "proper" name, no skalds named speedy or hunters named critshot etc.

still working on a forum somewhere for the guild will add linkage to my sig once we get there.

we have a full understanding for people only wanting a single alt in the guild for relaxation once in a while, (even the GM´s has mains in another guild).

BUT, the more we are the easiere it will be to get some RP'ing done. (and so far it´s been a blast <grin>)

I´ll be ingame as "Grump" for the rest of the day more or less, and if you can´t find me do /who Lloegyr or /who exiles

Azurat

Fledgling Freddie
Addlcove said:
2) you need to have a "proper" name, no skalds named speedy or hunters named critshot etc.

Why can´t you be roleplaying with a name like that, since a lot of old namnes in reality means what you used to do for living. Or have something in association what you had for a work? :p

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
because there was no such thing as a viking named speedy? :p

Zarff

Fledgling Freddie
BS, lots of vikings were named Speedy and ran around with helmets equipped with horns....well almost :eek6:

Labbe

Fledgling Freddie
Addlcove said:
guild is formed as of last night, named Lloegyr Exiles

(Lloegyr being the part of UK the saxons controlled til arthur threw them out )

Lloegyr also closely resembles the welsh word Lloegr, which means england

so basicly our story goes about us being forced to leave Lloegyr by the albions..

Yes they were driven out. Too bad that they were not part of the viking history. They are a part of the briton history.

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
the saxons where vikings (or rather they where from parts of germany/denmark)

and to be honest, anything that sailed out from denmark during the 400-900 era was a viking :p

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
get in-char please, im not feeling the roleplay at the mo!

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
hehe roleplay isn´t required on forums, except forums where such is demanded :p

but if you wanna join us with an alt or two feel free :)

Dardamein

Fledgling Freddie
Azurat said:
Why can´t you be roleplaying with a name like that, since a lot of old namnes in reality means what you used to do for living. Or have something in association what you had for a work? :p

The lastnames did yes but not the first names. Often referred to as occupation or special characteristica of the person. Too bad Mythic dont allow then marvelous the without clogging in with the lastname.

f eks

Barry the Butcher
Jonathan (the) Swift

Zarff said:
BS, lots of vikings were named Speedy and ran around with helmets equipped with horns....well almost

Not seen any thou and vikings did not have horns in their helmets...thats another Hollywood creation.

Anyway! Nice to see Addlcove, maybe my distant relatives will visit you some day. I believe they are with Einhärjarna as for now. Grump you say...might you be a Troll with that name?

Good Luck!

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
troll indeed, and quite a smart one to, he can _almost_ pronounce the guildname :)

Azurat

Fledgling Freddie
Dardamein said:
The lastnames did yes but not the first names. Often referred to as occupation or special characteristica of the person. Too bad Mythic dont allow then marvelous the without clogging in with the lastname.

f eks

Barry the Butcher
Jonathan (the) Swift

If you check most of the old namnes they are linked to some attribute which could give good luck in life or something like that. Goes for most cultures just have to go back in time. WOuld be kind of silly to name you´re son after a few random letters forming a char name which most roleplayers use today.

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
Azurat said:
If you check most of the old namnes they are linked to some attribute which could give good luck in life or something like that. Goes for most cultures just have to go back in time. WOuld be kind of silly to name you´re son after a few random letters forming a char name which most roleplayers use today.

examples please because I don´t quite get your meaning

Yaemon

Fledgling Freddie
Addlcove said:

Well.. Vikings for example often had a nickname related to a certain attribute.. For example if they were strong, skinny, fat.

Example:

Röde Orm (Orm the Read; because of his red hair etc)

Beccy

Fledgling Freddie
Eks Schumacher comming from the word Schuster witch means Shoo Maker, and in old norwegian your last name was often a your fathers first name, eks Svein Laurdason, if he got a boy it woul have last name Sveinson and if he got a daughter she would be named Sveinsdottir.

But back too the question, :) think he meant that most of the names infact have a meaning, eks Johannes comming from the hebrew word Jehoanan witch means Jahve(god). or the old norwegian boys name Finn who are from the word Fins(present day Finland, Lappland, north sweden and norway). From 1500-1600 ad+ (atleast in Norway) many lastnames where created from the trade you got, eks Olav Schomaker or Per Carpenter or Anders Smith. But from the Viking area whom daoc conserns on most would have lastnames after their father, or they got "nicknames" used as lastname. Like Erik Bloodaxe, harald Hardrade(iron ruler), Harald Harfagre (hairy) Harald Bluethoot, Olav The Holy, etc etc. Though they could also be known under their "birth name" Like Olav the holy is also refferd too as Olav Haraldson.

Zarff

Fledgling Freddie
Dardamein said:
Not seen any thou and vikings did not have horns in their helmets...thats another Hollywood creation.

Good Luck!
Welcome to the wonderful world of sarcasm :eek:? the "well almost" part should have given you a little hint.

Zarff

Fledgling Freddie
Yaemon said:
Well.. Vikings for example often had a nickname related to a certain attribute.. For example if they were strong, skinny, fat.

Example:

Röde Orm (Orm the Read; because of his red hair etc)

Or because he had a little red Willy?

Blain

Fledgling Freddie
Addlcove said:
the saxons where vikings (or rather they where from parts of germany/denmark)

Ummmm.......Did you get your history book from a kinder egg?

Saxons = Germanic Tribesmen who settled in britain
(Angles = Germanic Tribesmen also, hence Anglo Saxon)

Vikings = Scandinavian or Russian

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
well at this part of time more or less all of northern europe was in one way or another populated by people with danish origins (read viking raids with the following rape)

but ok my mistake, still doens´t change the fact that the Saxons believed in the old nordic gods and not Arthurs god :)

Azurat

Fledgling Freddie
Addlcove said:

Well standard example would have to be bjorn old scandinavian namn, which means bear which is kind of a symbol for strenght. A lot of the common names for vikings came from the nature elements or animals which they thought would bring something positive to the child. This is before the baptising and them starting to get more christian namnes.

The point though was that it´s kind of silly to bann namnes like speedy, what´s saying that they can´t roleplay just as well. The only reason would be to have something more authentic for this region to increase the atmosphere but it´s not the case for this rule what i can see. :p

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
shameless self bump.

spread the word ingame people, not everyone reads FH but everyones welcome in this guild :)

even if it is only to log in once every 2 weeks to have a go at roleplaying

Hargh

Fledgling Freddie
The romantic King Arthur was created by Geoffrey of Monmouth in the 1200's to refelect the courtly goings on of Henry II (grandson of Duke William of Normandy - William I or William the Conqueror) and Eleanor of Aquitaine (divorcee of the King of Franceand heir to the lands of Aquitane), his queen, who bought into the knights on horseback, tournaments and jousting thing.

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Blain said:
Ummmm.......Did you get your history book from a kinder egg?
Vikings = Scandinavian or Russian

Vikings from Russia???? Did YOU get your history book from a kinder egg??
Vikings where not FROM Russia, they were Danish, Norwegian and Swedish. Icelandic can also count in here, but they were mostly settlers from Norway anyways. But I will go as far as to agree with you that there were Vikings IN Russia. And that they mixed with the Russian population, creating a "breed" of Scandinavian-Russian Vikings, but if you say that Vikings were from Russia, then Vikings were from all of Europe..

In 862 the Slavs, exhausted by uninterrupted inter-tribal wars, made the following proposal to the Rus (a name borrowed from the Finns to designate the Swedes): "Our country is rich and immense, but it is rent by disorder. Come and govern us and reign over us".
Three Swedish Vikings responded and came to Russia. Rurik became governor of Novgorod, Sineus settled down in Beloozerg and Truvor in Izborsk. Two years later Sineus and Truvor both died and Rurik extended his rule over the whole country. Later two of his lieutenants went down to Kiev, nearly six hundred miles away, and conquered it. In 882 Oleg, Rurik's successor, came to Kiev in his turn. Having established his own leadership over numerous towns and tribes Oleg strengthened considerably the new Russian State and became its master. The new capital, Kiev, little by little became one of the richest towns in Europe.
Rurik's successors became a ruling dynasty in Russia for more than 700 years.

Want to read more? http://viking.no/

And about names.. Yes, they had last names either after their father/mother or something that described them as persons...
Examples:
  1. Harald Hårfagre. Harald Fair-Haired. He gathered Norway to one Kingdom, and when he set out to do that, he promised not to cut his hair until he had succeeded. When he had succeeded, his hair was ceremoniously cut with a knife by Ragnvald, Earl of Møre, who declared, "Now, King, your hair is fair and you are entitled to bear the name Fair-haired." Harald means army leader and ruler.
  2. Eirik Blodøks. English: Eirik Bloodaxe. Son of Harald Hårfagre. He battled and killed many of his brothers for being King of Norway. Therefore the name Blodøks. His original name was Eirik Haraldsson. Eirik means powerful ruler.
  3. Håkon den Gode. Håkon the Good. Son of Harald Hårfagre and a maid. Was raised by King Athelstan (Adelsten) in England, therefore he early on had the name: Adelstensfostre. Banished his half brother Eirik Bloodaxe and got the name Håkon den Gode. Håkon means of noble family
  4. Snorre (Snorri) Sturlason. Snorre means quick, but also rascal (hard to manage)
We still use a lot of the old Norse names in Norway, some have changed during the years and taken other shapes...
Examples of first names (these are just the ones I remember on top of my head)
  1. Siri (my name). Comes from old Norse Sigrid which means victorious (female) rider
  2. Rune (my brother). Means secret.
  3. Steinar, means rock and warrior.

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
I believe the horns were drinking vessels and were mistakenly thought to be attached to helms when they were found on burial sites. Probably used as votive offerings to ensure the warrior had food and drink in the afterlife.

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
If Arthur did live, it is probable he was more likely to be a warlord than a king, though he could have been both, and rather than battling dragons, his greatest enemy would have been the hated Saxons. These Germanic invaders invaded Britain and took over more and more of it, starting with the east, known as Lloegyr, the Lost Lands. Eventually they overran most of Britain, and the country known as England emerged. The Britons were forced into Wales or even Scotland, although the people of the North were as different from the Britons as the Saxons. There is evidence that the Saxons were forced back at the battle of Camlann, possibly at Mount Badon. The locations of all these places, like most of the places in the Arthurian legends, have been much debated. Some think that if Arthur lived, he was Welsh, rather than Cornish or any of the other suggestions, as the Arthurian influence is so notable in Wales. I think he was more likely to be Arthursis (Arth meaning bear in old English and Urthis being greek for bear), a mercenary heading a group from the Votadini tribe up in the NE of what is now Scotland. These were invited down by the local Britons to help expel the Saxons - the Votadini liked it so much they stayed.

Kaitlyn

One of Freddy's beloved
Darkseed said:
What happened to Ayam?

He moved to Japan a while ago and is now spreading the Ganbatte way amongst the heathens of Counterstrike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom