new player

O

old.Tohtori

Oh not at all. He's the perfect one to give advice since he won't take out a flmathrower and start blasting when someone sayes that kobols are not that blue and more like green... atleast might give advice, if wrong ones, and not eat peoples heads off.

A

Apathy

I think someone who doesn't start calling people a "dick" and taking something like "meathead" seriously is equally entitled to give advice as someone who does.

But of course, it's unclear if our new friend is a stats-obsessed freak who will run around screaming and delete his char if he accidentally specs the wrong thing at lvl43 or if he's more concerned with things like "Which char LOOKS the best?".

Play nice, children! Don't make me come down there!

a.

O

old.Hendrick

Best advice for starters is to pick one realm on each server and just try out a few characters, then delete those you can't grow to love and choose the third realm on the now free server. Over time, you will make some friends and grow to like a certain kind of character.

V

Vell

aND YET YOU TOOK ME CALLING YOU A MEATHEAD SERIOUSLY....

Bah, caps lock. Sorry.

D

Damon_D

Only real problem is that when the expansion comes out ya gonn ahave to get a new graphics card, just sat and looked at Morrow wind , and thats the graphics engine we gonna get, and it will not run , at all , on woodo-cards, or so it says in the tech spec

A

Apathy

Oh I would CRY if someone called me a meathead, especially when I am an intelliegent, careful, considerate sorcerer with the best interests and safety of my group at heart.

Just because I sometimes run towards a mob waving my staff around whilst screaming "SORC TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK!" doesn't mean I am a meathead.

~mezzes you all and runs away cackling, robes a-flowing~

a.

K

kel-udm

yeah - Ive already started looking at cheap graphics cards - and you know how it goes..

start off looking for something that will just do and end up spending a fortune..

will a geforce 3 card do the job do you reckon?

J

Jupitus

GeForce3 ti200 64Mb works ok for me in quite a fast new pc, so you ought to be ok with that.

To the rest, shut up with the flaming eh? You'll put the poor guy/girl right off! :)

S

Solid

Apart from the "elitist caster" comment, dont think I really flamed, if "meathead tanks" is not a flame, then "elitist caster" is not a flame, cant have it both ways Apathy.

I posted an objection to your thinking and "advice" that all tanks are meatheads, and my objection was echoed by many of the established player base.

At no point were obsessive stats mentioned, so get over it, you gave bad advice to the new guy by belittling the tank classes.

Mr New Guy - do what Hendrick said, he has posted some very sound advice

V

Vell

Originally posted by Apathy Endymion

~mezzes you all and runs away cackling, robes a-flowing~

a.

<Sees Apathy casting mezz. Hits insta mezz button and runs around pointing at the now mezzed caster :p>

S

Solid

Solid targets Apathy, all helpless and mezzed silly by kind Vell.
Solid closes in on his target, Hammer ready.
Solid swings his Hammer of Black Ice and hits for 693 damage + 104 Proc + 280 Crit + 83 Damage add and kills Apathy on the spot.

Solid the meathead then howls in victory in true meathead style

"Ug Ug"
"Me Kill Caster"
"Ug Ug"

D

deadparrot

I wouldn’t go and buy a gf3 just to play this game, the framerate I get with a gf3 is good in normal monster killing, but with large collections of players(around 50, mainly in rvr events) reduce the fps to a pathetic crawl, 5fps and under.
Its a shame as most other games fly with a gf3 behind them :(

Oh and ingnore the forum pple, they seem to hate everything.

O

old.Tohtori

Or blatantly disrecard the edit button to get another ding! on the post counter. :D

S

Solid

Currently the Graphics card is not the bottleneck on framerate and performance, but its a badly coded graphics engine.

Mythic patched in NetImmerse 3.x as the GFX Engine and did not customize or tweak it very well.

Reason for mass lag and freezes in large scale RvR is because the engine draws every single detail of any player on your screen, be they a tiny spec in the distance or a in ur face bout to swing their axe o you, the engine draws their haoir, belt, flowing cloak, all the details, even though we cant see them (if they are off in the distance)

I would not worry too much about graphics cards atm, even a humble Geforce 2 MX does a good a jo as can be done wrt to gfx engine.

I have no odea how the new NetImmerse engine will run in large scale RvR, but I am sure Mythic will address it and fix it somewhat.

K

Keri

I use a GeForce 2 MX400, and DAoC runs just fine .. at least, as fine as it can when on a relic raid. I was logged in hunting in EZ for eight hours one time, with no gfx bug .. if my gfx card will tolerate that, it performs ok .. IMO.

B

Brannor McThife

Two topics here...

GFX, I have a GF4 Ti4600, and it still lags like hell in RvR. Crap engine.

and,

I have played:

Hib: Druid, Ranger.
Alb: Paladin, Scout, Minstrel, Infiltrator
Mid: Warrior, Skald, Runecaster, Hunter, Shadowblade, healer.

Out of all those, the easiest to play is the warrior. Just need to manage your endurance usage (keep some spare for pulling aggro).

Healer and druid take constant watching of your group...so there's never any falling asleep. Skald and Minstrel feel like you're living on adrenaline. Scout, hunter and ranger really suck somewhat at soloing in the mid levels...and you end up soloing a lot. Runecasters are ok. In fact, any class that can seen a ball of fire at a target 1500-2000 units away is fun. ;) I never took my shadowblade far, but now that I've started an Infiltrator, well, I must say, being an assassin is great fun. To sadly use something from LotR, it's like wearing The Ring all the time. You live in a different world, striking suddenly and viciously (with poison) and escaping to the safety of the shadows or friends.

Out of all the classes I've played, the assassins are most fun. Playing a warrior (tank) does require some skill though, because you need to know what NOT to hit, to be patient with the mezzer when he fails or mezzes the WRONG mob, and to know when to hit that second mob once so that you draw aggro so that the mezzer can have another go. Yeah, sure, the styles may be boring, but stupid tanks die fast and don't get parties.

-G

A

Apathy

As for gfx cards, Scan do some nice enough deals. Someone else posted a link to a site on anotehr thread, to a company selling VERY cheap gfx cards. But I've only ever bought from Scan, so can really only comment on them.

Right now, their Today Only page has some GeForce stuff on it for reasonable prices.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/

128Mb MSI Ge Force 3 Ti-200 TV/out DDR £115.15(inc VAT)

I might get one of those...

a.

S

Solid

Oh dear

Scan are a bunch of cowboys, i have friends that have lost hundreds of pounds with them cos they tried to rip em off.

They have send used items to them, faulty gear, and once they sendt a dodgy MoBo to my mate, he sent it back saying he wants a replacement, they try send him a used one covered in dust, he sends it back asking what the hell they are playing at, they cut off the serial number and try resend the very same one vack to him, talk about cheek.

all in all, scan are a very bad e-tailor.
Dabs are better, as are Simply, or Watford Electronics, or even e-buyer.

If you r in the UK, the best site to compare prices is PC Index

B

Brannor McThife

Well, I bought my mobo, case, GF4, memory, DVD player, surround sound speakers, all from Scan. No complaints here. They're well priced, efficient, and were quite friendly.

<shrugs>

-G

A

Apathy

I've bought two complete systems from Scan (For self-assembly.) as well as monitors and bits and bobs. Only problems I've had was buying a mobo that wasn't compatible with the Morgan core AMD CPUs (Doh.) and they accepted both back, no problem. They also replaced my AMD Athlon after I fried it...doh.

Scan is a fairly large company and I've recommended them to lots of people before, none of whom have complained.

a.

K

kel-udm

well folks - certainly appreciate all the help

- ive got that card you recommended from scan though im annoyed as my good old voodoo was running half life and unreal tournament fine, suppose it had to go at some point.

still waiting for the actual game to be bloody delivered and going nuts waiting for it

might come tomorrow

anyway - thanks again for all advice

A

Apathy

Great!

Try selling your old card on eBay or something. Maybe get £20 to £30 for it...you never know! Especially if it's PCI.

a.

M

Myshra

Originally posted by kel-udm
though im annoyed as my good old voodoo was running half life and unreal tournament fine, suppose it had to go at some point.

stick UT in openGL mode and get hold of the openGL extrended driver, i think you might still be able to get it from http://unreal.epicgames.com and watch as your fps rockets. same with halflife, stick it in openGL, take off v sync (geforce propeties, simple drop down box), and welcome to 99fps constant. trust me, the difference is staggering

K

kel-udm

myshra - are you talking about the new card or the old one?

O

old.Vengance

a solo MMORPG lol

Waht ever class he/she plays they better be prepared to die,a lot,an awful lot! I've never played an online game where people die so much ,and i think that includes TFC :p .

Oh and be prepared to play a Massively Multi Player game solo a lot too lol.The ENG servers are kinda empty really no matter what anyone says. You can find servers in US with more people in one REALM than we have on a WHOLE server!

.Groups are quite often hard to come by and then your lucky if its a good group and not one full of noobs that get you killed a lot (see above for dieing). Yes folks will say groups arent hard to come by and its me even tho ive tried every fookin class to get a groups and to get GOOD groups that try and learn etc.

If ya dont believe me on the dieing a lot just look out for graves and count how many ya see in ten minutes lol.

:puke:

O

old.mattshanes

heh i dont agree with hardly any of that :p yep frame sync is what its called on my geforce 4 ti4400 should always be off:cool:

F

Flimgoblin

Not a real tank! pah!

Just coz that polearmsman wears plate doesn't mean he can tank any better than I.

Mercs are less good at tanking than a sword and shield armsman, but they're on a par with a polearmsman/two handsman.

Compare a merc taking damage to an infiltrator/scout/minstrel taking damage :) there's quite a difference.

(being a weirdo that likes parry my merc is pretty good when tanking too.. not a complete mana sink ;) nothing near as good as a sword and board armsman though, if they can keep the aggro I can do the rear dual wield styles and kick some serious ass, that said they'll need to taunt just about every hit to keep the aggro.. especially if I have damage adds from a paladin or a wiz/theurg... then again if I have someone guarding me I have parry/evade/shield to protect me)

O

old.mattshanes

yeah mercenaries r so underated my one hits as good as some 2h armsmen hes crush btw and hes not that bad at taking a pounding:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom