new phone

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
alreet

need some advice RE buying/upgrading phones

im currently on a £35 plan with voda with an n95 8gb.

i dont need an amazing amount of minutes or texts (so plan cost should be minimum - up to a max of 35). id quite like unlimited interweb though.

for the phone, i like the n95 but i would kinda like something smaller. i make lots of use of the internet + google maps so it would be ideal to have something that can deal with these (esp google maps!). i dont use my phone for music etc.

so.. suggestions please!!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Not sure which phone to recommend, lots of phones fail to do good GPS, so it really is important to either try them out first or talk to others that have that phone.

As for the price plan, o2 give me a 40% discount when I talk to their disconnections department. I pay £20 a month for a £35 price plan. I suggest you find the phone you want then talk directly to vodaphones disconnections team.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I want to point you AWAY from one mobile phone and that's the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1. It's a wonderful phone for features but the build quality is sorely lacking in quality.

My next preferred phone would be a HTC Touch Pro2 (aka HTC Rhodium). I've been using custom ROMs based on Rhodium features and I very much like them.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
If you really want good any time internet, then your best bets are going to be touch screen phones. I personally LOVE my Iphone 3g, but others to concider would be the N97 (out soon) the HTC Touch HD/HD2(soon)/Pro/Pro2/G1.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
Not sure which phone to recommend, lots of phones fail to do good GPS, so it really is important to either try them out first or talk to others that have that phone.

As for the price plan, o2 give me a 40% discount when I talk to their disconnections department. I pay £20 a month for a £35 price plan. I suggest you find the phone you want then talk directly to vodaphones disconnections team.

yeah i was planning to - just went on the voda website to see about contact numbers etc and i logged into my account and found they had an online upgrades thing where you can see what youre entitled to automatically.

for me, on my £35 plan (paid up for 18months) and with an n95 8gb (that i paid nothing for at the time) it seems im entitled to fuck all.
to even get a new n95 i would have to pay them ~£140.

meanwhile, a new customer can roll up and buy a £30 plan (a superior plan too) and get an n96 for free! what the hell is that about?!?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
yeah i was planning to - just went on the voda website to see about contact numbers etc and i logged into my account and found they had an online upgrades thing where you can see what youre entitled to automatically.

for me, on my £35 plan (paid up for 18months) and with an n95 8gb (that i paid nothing for at the time) it seems im entitled to fuck all.
to even get a new n95 i would have to pay them ~£140.

meanwhile, a new customer can roll up and buy a £30 plan (a superior plan too) and get an n96 for free! what the hell is that about?!?
And this is where you go through to Vodafone's retentions dept to complain about it.
Just phone up Voda and say you want to cancel your contract and want your PAC. You'll be put straight through to retentions. Complain that a new customer gets a better deal than you as an existing customer and that you're unhappy about it. The main thing is to haggle and bargain. Don't try and demand the moon on a stick, but don't just take the first thing they offer (unless it's what you want).

I have 4 years with O2 and upgraded my contract through retentions. I got an SE Xperia X1 for £97 on an 18 month £35/month contract. The tariff was reduced by 30% to £24.50/month because of my loyalty discount.

Try it. The worst they can say is "Okay, here's your PAC". You're not obligated to USE a PAC if they provide it, but they know that you're kind of serious if you insist on it.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
i know they all do it but it such a pain in the arse. and cheeky as fuck to boot!

that aside ive spotted a strong contender: the nokia e55.
cheap, small and light with a-gps and everything else. the only downside is its not actually out yet...

soze

I am a FH squatter
Keypads like that on the e55 are hard to get used too i hated it on a earlier version qwerty layout but 2 on a button. I would deffo say try before you buy.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have just got myself the Tocco Ultimate and I must say I do like having the touchscreen and the keypad. Makes quite a bit of difference to me who really cannot get on with touchscreens :)

Really wanted a Nokia N85 but Vodafone do not do them yet and I cannot leave the network until at least June and my shitty fucking crap 5 bars but emergency calls only Sony Ericshit phone was making me go insane.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I want to point you AWAY from one mobile phone and that's the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1. It's a wonderful phone for features but the build quality is sorely lacking in quality.

My next preferred phone would be a HTC Touch Pro2 (aka HTC Rhodium). I've been using custom ROMs based on Rhodium features and I very much like them.

I'd agree with this, athough the build quality on my Xperia is fine? It's survived two pretty major drops and still feels solid. Currently using it most as an mp3 player, and the sound quality is the best I've heard on a phone. It's brilliant for t'internet too, and Bubble Breaker is immense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom