New PC Case

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Greetings.

I've decided it's time to sort out a new PC Case, as using my old HTPC case is getting a touch limiting in terms of putting stuff in it. It will just be used for my current kit for now, but if it can be used in future when I upgrade everything that will be a massive bonus.

I'm not after anything too big, nor anything that looks like Darth Vader's washbag. It has to fit:

Micro ATX Mobo with standard AMD Cooler
AMD Radeon 5850 (feel the powah)
SB Live
Extra network card (on board NIC has died)
2 x 2.5" HDD
DVD drive

From looking around I've found the below, anyone know if they're any good? Or anything else I should be looking at?

Fractal Design Core 1500 Micro-ATX Case - Black

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Can't go wrong with Fractual Design, I have a Devine R5 and its lovely.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I also have a FD case. they're great imo.

Bodhi

Oooh I've just found the Define Mini. Seems an extra 20 quid on the Core posted above, sorely tempting tho.

Anyone know if it's worth the extra de Niro?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I like the current NZXT cases for working inside, havn't used a fractal to compare it to though.

TdC

Define Mini.

Couple people on here have the big Define, incl myself. In my case it houses my server. It's a nice, well thought out case, and it is pretty quiet too. My server is already quiet and the case makes it more so. Only time I hear anything over a muted hum is when I'm backing up my VM's and have 4 spinning disks going full blast.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Why are PC cases all invariably ugly as shit? I know they need to house components of a specific shape, but why can't we have a PC case that looks like a big paracetamol on tripod legs, or a tall cylinder with a glowing eye like HAL, or other interesting designs?

Instead, we get the same old boring box that you hide under the desk.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Always Lian Li for me.
Why are PC cases all invariably ugly as shit? I know they need to house components of a specific shape, but why can't we have a PC case that looks like a big paracetamol on tripod legs, or a tall cylinder with a glowing eye like HAL, or other interesting designs?

It's probably as simple as what will and won't sell in quantities that make it worth designing and building. And also the standards that go with cases (they have to be able to accommodate a motherboard of a certain size and a PSU and maybe a hard disk and optical drive etc.)

Lian Li actually do do some, erm, unconventional cases...

y6-main-2.jpg

PC-U6.jpg

PC-CK101.jpg

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Cause most pc people are on the autistic spectrum and are practical over pretty. Hehe. Well maybe the designers not the users

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Honestly, I read posts where people talk about how pretty their PC is, when it's just another tall box with a blue light and a bit of coloured plastic. They're all the same!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Mine looks a bit like the monolith in 2001 Space odyssey.

I don't like cases with stupid flashing lights and shit all over them though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well yeah but they're still black boxes aren't they? What about a black monolith like in 2001? That would look amazing, but nobody is making them.

Bodhi

Just to update, have just been up to OCUK and picked up the original choice, the Core 1500. Couldn't really justify the extra for the Define Mini, it appears to get you a door and an extra HDD cage, which I'd have to take out to fit the gfx card in anyway.

Going to start the build this evening, then next month go back for an SSD and a Das Keyboard with Blue Switches.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Honestly, I read posts where people talk about how pretty their PC is, when it's just another tall box with a blue light and a bit of colored plastic. They're all the same!

I've never gotten the colored led-lights. I mean, there are decent looking cases, and you wouldn't want to ruin it with blinking lights and what not. It's basically like putting led lights under your car..distasteful.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I had brown mediums on my last keyboard, they were OK...keyboard was shit though so threw it away (not the keys fault)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Speaking of cases. Advised a lad at work on what to buy for a PC and said I would build it for him for a couple of beers.

All good, everything works...but the fucking case, it's hideous. I want it out my house asap.

Raidmax Ninja II PC Case - Ebuyer

Surprisingly simple to put together though.

TdC

I've never understood flashy pc cases 0o

Bodhi

Unless you've heard the racket the blue switches make and are happy with that, I'd go with the browns...

H7bLPaf.png

I'm currently using an IBM Model M :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Honestly, I read posts where people talk about how pretty their PC is, when it's just another tall box with a blue light and a bit of coloured plastic. They're all the same!

icon33.jpg
077.jpg

Intresting PC case designs exist, but they cost a fortune

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They aren't big enough to be proper PCs, using the USB sockets as a scale.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The one on the right looks like a ps2 repaint case mod.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
They aren't big enough to be proper PCs, using the USB sockets as a scale.

I think you might be missing the point.

The one on the right looks like a ps2 repaint case mod.

Mondrian Its a mini ITX case size.

I think my point, which I obviously haven't got across; is that its possible to make aesthetically pleasing PC cases with a bit of effort, and/or deep pockets. Not everything has to look like Hotblack Desiato designed it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well if you can be arsed you could just install one into a drawer or anything you like, so long as you had air vents and fans in the correct places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom